HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Aug 25, 2019, 4:56 PM

Liberty Sky looks short among all these taller, more recent proposals. I love it.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2019, 7:42 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

Tower 8 08/25/19:

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 1:32 PM
SLC Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
^^^
^^^
So is that their proposal??? I can't keep up with all of these proposals. Hopefully having so many major proposals means that many more will actually materialize.

Here's yet another cool development for Central 9th that CW Urban broke ground on yesterday. I especially like that they're going to restore and repurpose the Old Taffy Building as part of the project. Cool design integration!

CW URBAN CONVERTS TAFFY TOWN BUILDING INTO URBAN HOUSING - Press Release, Utah Business - August 23,2019 - https://www.utahbusiness.com/cw-urban/

Salt Lake City— CW Urban, an innovative Utah real estate development group, broke ground on its newest project, The Charli, on August 22 at the construction site located at 55 West 800 South in Salt Lake City.

The Charli is a redevelopment project in the Central 9th neighborhood and will involve the adaptive re-use of the old “Taffy Town” iconic 40’s art deco building, which will be turned into 26 condos. The project will also consist of a 6-story, 64-unit condo building that will replace the existing on-grade parking lot. The two buildings will be combined into one creative whole through an innovative design that includes a shared lobby, common room, and an outdoor rooftop garden above the parking podium.

In order to save the existing Taffy Town warehouse, all parking will be contained in a one-story podium that includes mechanically stacked parking to minimize the land space required for parking, whereas conventional parking would require a 2-3 story structure. The base of the new six-story building will be unfinished concrete to complement the board-formed concrete of the existing warehouse, to showcase the distinct difference in age of the two buildings without the clashing of two different materials.

“The inspiration for this project came from the existing Taffy Town building as well as the industrial history of the central 9th neighborhood,” said Darlene Carter, Division President of CW Urban. “The main focus of the design has been to highlight the raw beauty of the exiting warehouse with its textural façade and rough nature while constructing modern and efficient condos to meet the current housing needs.”

Project partners include Rimrock Construction, CW Design, Method Studio Architects, Spectrum Engineering, PEPG Civil Engineers, and Ensign Structural Engineers. The project is expected to be completed in 15 months and unit sales will begin in spring of 2020.

Taffy Town, formerly known as Glade Candy Co. was founded by James Vernon Glade in 1916 and operated from 55 West 800 South in Salt Lake City. In 1995, David Glade, grandson of the founder, changed the name of the company to “Taffy Town, Inc.” to reflect its total dedication to taffy excellence. In 2016, the company sold the Taffy Town building and relocated to West Jordan. The company is still family-owned and operated by great-grandsons, Jason and Derek Glade.
LOVE this conversion. Glad to see some re-use and modification happening finally. CW is making its mark for sure and doing fine work all over the city. Reading some of the notes about demo of historic structures so here goes: Taffy Town (I own many of their OG shirts) was a reinforced concrete monster with plenty of seismic ability. Many others are not blessed with those bones, including the UTA warehouse. At some point, it just does not make financial sense to do the deed. If you have to build a sub structure that wears the old building's facade as a skin suit to fit your future use, it's time to rebuild. Unfortunate, but reality.

PS, wondering where the old Taffy Town sign went? That's a crazy piece of SL signage nostalgia.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 1:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusam26 View Post
If built as is, would you consider this a signature tower for Salt Lake?

I vote yes if they amp up the crown a little bit more. But I like it as is too

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 1:54 AM

Boyer better hurry it up with getting Liberty Sky started or they're going to get left behind

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah_Dave View Post
If built as is, would you consider this a signature tower for Salt Lake?

I vote yes if they amp up the crown a little bit more. But I like it as is too
To me, for SLC, a signature tower has to be 500+. This is not it without 100 more feet

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 2:13 AM

If the 370 millennium gets a height Increase and works out that would be the signature tower imo

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 1:35 PM

Great work Taboubak, Thanks for posting. It will be great to see that view of the skyline from the north finally expand in width. Now if the LDS Church would just build that tower at the parking lot across the street to the north from the Administration Tower. I've always hated that north view of the COB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taboubak View Post
I finally figured it out. Thanks for the tips!

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 3:20 PM

The skyline looks really good with all those towers!
However, let's be honest with ourselves, about 4 out of every 5 highrise proposals never come to fruition, at least it seems that's the case in SLC, so I'm going to guess on these ones. I have no insider info, just guesses coming out of my somewhat addled mind.
Tower 8 is already under construction, so I'm guessing this gets completed (though it's not a sure thing, as the site a couple blocks south on State has shown us), but being that's it's being done by PRI, I'll give this a 99.9% chance of being completed.
CCH: Given the backing of the county and city, I think this gets built, though a change in height/rooms wouldn't surprise me too much. I'll give it a 75% chance of being completed in some form.
So, playing the odds, that means none of the others will ever see the light of day. Buuut, I do think that SLC has some momentum right now, so if any of the others can get off the ground before the next recession hits, I think we'll get one or two of the others topped out. Remember how the Great Recession killed several proposals back in 2007-09? Could definitely happen again with some of these, and a recession is only a matter of time. That's why it bothers me when these projects keep getting delayed; it just gives more time for the inevitable recession to kill these projects. Of course, no one knows when this will happen but it's part of the economy, so we know it will eventually, and likely within the next two years. Given that:
Liberty Sky: I'm guessing that's where this project fits. They are taking their sweet ass time, as Boyer is wont to do, and a recession would kill it, so I'll give it a 50% chance of completion. If they break ground this year I think it probably will be finished, but the timeline has already been pushed back multiple times.
The new Carl's Junior and Utah Theater towers: They are just too ambitious for our market right now; I don't see them happening, though I hope I'm wrong. I'd give it around a 25% chance that one of the two is built. Something is likely to happen at one or both sites, I just doubt it will be 300+ foot towers.
370 Millenium Tower: I really have no feel for that one. It has been in the works for a long time, and keeps changing designs, and was sold once in there. Seems like a long shot, but Makid said it's still active. Just tossing out a number, I'd guess a pretty low percentage, maybe 25%.
So playing the odds, I'm going to guess that 3 of these will be completed, which is still a pretty good decade for us. Hope I'm wrong, of course, and all are built, but I keep getting my hopes up just to have them dashed. Regent Street Hotel did a number on my confidence with this topic.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 5:30 PM

I think the odds are fairly good for most of the projects to happen.

The reason is that even with a recession, banks will still give loans for apartments provides the vacancy rates are below a given threshold. For the 2007/2008 that level was set at 7%. Condo projects needed to have at least 55% pre-leased and Commercial needed 50%. This is why the last recession hit construction so hard. The exception was along the Wasatch Front as City Creek was primarily self funded.

The current vacancy rates for apartments in SLC is around 4% currently.

For the projects that are in the works we have:

Tower 8 - Commercial (self funded so will be completed)
CCH - Funding is already secured
Liberty Sky - Residential
Utah Theater - Residential (Backed by Hines and has access to direct funding)
Kensington Tower (Carl's Jr) - Residential
370 Millennium - Mixed use. Last I heard would include Hotel, Commercial and Residential of roughly 1/3 breakdown for each.

Then we start going to the shorter proposals.

255 S State - Residential
Block 67 (West Quarter) - Residential and Hotel (Funding secured for Phase 1)
650S Main - Commercial (Phase 1 has secured funding)
Salt Development - Commercial
655S Main - Residential

Overall, I am most worried about Kensington Tower as it just seems overly optimistic based on their previous projects. Otherwise, my worry rests squarely on the need for more construction workers.

This isn't just a worry, it stalled 650S Main as the cost for workers increased dramatically when the Airport was started and the costs haven't come down yet. This is one reason that they haven't started yet.

Other projects have locked in the workers they need - Tower 8, CCH and Phase 1 for Block 67. I would like to think that Liberty Sky has the workers locked in but I don't know anyone involved that could provide clarity. If Liberty Sky does have the workers locked in, are there enough workers available for the other projects to even start over the next 24 months?

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 5:45 PM
ML Engineer

Sugar House update

As usual some of these pics are horrible but here's an update:

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 6:37 PM

Thanks for the info, Makid! You obviously have more insider info than I do, I was just speculating. I hope you're right. And if you're also right about the construction worker shortage, maybe I should think about a career change...

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
This isn't just a worry, it stalled 650S Main as the cost for workers increased dramatically when the Airport was started and the costs haven't come down yet. This is one reason that they haven't started yet.
I really like this project. How do you know all of this, btw?

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
I really like this project. How do you know all of this, btw?
My information comes from reliable sources. The same source that told me about the Held project getting a height increase told me about the delay for 650S Main. They are more tuned in to the hospitality segment but they have provided details about other projects that turned out to correct.

They had mentioned before and I think we talked about it here that Patrinely was looking for certain qualities in their contractor and workers. This is why any of the suburban teams wouldn't work for them on the project. To get a team that met their qualifications the costs were running higher than projected. As for how much higher I am not sure but I do know it was significant enough to make it easier to delay the project than pay for the increased costs.

I should note that it isn't just wages, it also includes the equipment for the construction.

Construction costs across the Wasatch Front increased for all projects when the Airport work started. The increases varied based on the type of work that was needed.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullCircle View Post
Thanks for the info, Makid! You obviously have more insider info than I do, I was just speculating. I hope you're right. And if you're also right about the construction worker shortage, maybe I should think about a career change...
I have a friend to changed careers to become a certified electrician. I also tried to talk my nephew into learning a trade. Sadly, he was all interested until he realized that it would mean manual labor.

There is a stigma against manual labor for some people and that causes many of the younger people to shift away from the various trades. This leads to both a lack of workers and increasing labor costs.

The State and SL County have been sponsoring work groups to help get more people to look at the trades as a career. I hope they are successful in getting an increase in workers to start to replace those that will be retiring soon.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 8:56 PM

When is Block 67 phase 1 , and the Convention Center Hotel about to start Construction.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 9:48 PM

Liberty Sky is likely to get going early October. The Carl's Jr site is entertaining additional test drilling as they continue to work through their preliminary design stages.

It appears the Convention Center Hotel will be early next year for a start and looks solid to actually get built

LJ

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 5:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
I have a friend to changed careers to become a certified electrician. I also tried to talk my nephew into learning a trade. Sadly, he was all interested until he realized that it would mean manual labor.

There is a stigma against manual labor for some people and that causes many of the younger people to shift away from the various trades. This leads to both a lack of workers and increasing labor costs.

The State and SL County have been sponsoring work groups to help get more people to look at the trades as a career. I hope they are successful in getting an increase in workers to start to replace those that will be retiring soon.
Trades are the way to go. I found out recently that the owner of a hotel downtown started out as a plumber. He eventually started his own company then he got into construction and eventually hotels.

If I had to do it over again I would choose something like that. I think trades can open doors that other jobs don't.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 9:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Great work Taboubak, Thanks for posting. It will be great to see that view of the skyline from the north finally expand in width. Now if the LDS Church would just build that tower at the parking lot across the street to the north from the Administration Tower. I've always hated that north view of the COB.
Can you imagine what the stairwell on the COB would look like with something like this mounted on it?

Video Link

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 2:22 PM
SLC Lifer

Mep

MEP (mechanical electrical and plumbing) are absolutely killing everybody in cost right now. Especially for non standard, non apartment projects that require a lot of custom work. Some think those numbers have more than DOUBLED in three years. Seeing it way too up close and personal right now. We need more skilled workers.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West