HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 11:11 AM
Doctor, The Doctor...Fun

I totally forgot to post this one! I finished it before the Comcast Technology Center.

Here's 23 Marina in Dubai, UAE.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 7:59 PM
Doctor, The Doctor...Fun

I just got a big order of some of the models today! The antenna broke on a few of them but I glued them into place and am reworking the models to prevent this from happening in the future. I'll post pictures of them as I finish painting!

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 8:41 AM
Doctor, The Doctor...Fun

Here's the newest model, the CTF (Chow Tai Fook) Finance Centre in Guangzhou, Guangdong, China!

I've been meaning to get to this one for awhile but between limited source materials on the finished roof and rear of the base sections, I was holding off. Eventually, I decided using renders and concept art was good enough to get the details on the roof as close as I could. I also referenced floor plans and a site plan which helped me immensely to nail down the shape of the base portion. After that, I used Baidu maps (China's version of Google Maps) to get street views and figure out the details on the ground from there. It took the better part of a week but I'm happy with how it came out!

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 4:28 AM
Doctor, The Doctor...Fun

Another finished - Menara Kuala Lumpur in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia!

Another TV tower, another day! A relatively simple one but in the top 30 worldwide so worthy of a model, nonetheless. While the TV towers are usually a lot simpler, there are always details I never noticed until I'm recreating them - for this one, it was the windows around the four tiers of the observation portion of the tower. I never looked close enough to see how they alternate between recessed and exposed trapezoids, which makes it far more interesting that a simple 'ring' of windows like many TV towers out there.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 11:21 PM
Doctor, The Doctor...Fun

Here's another TV tower, the Tianjin TV & Radio Tower in Tianjin, China!

Pretty simple form, nothing too special, but I do like the overall shape of this tower better than others of similar height.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2018, 2:52 AM
Doctor, The Doctor...Fun

And one more for the night since these TV towers are relatively easy. Here's Central Radio and TV Tower in Beijing, China!

Another simple one. The most challenging part of the model, as with many of them, was the ground details. A lot of stairs!

Old Posted Mar 10, 2018, 10:13 PM
Doctor, The Doctor...Fun

New model finished - Citic Plaza in Guangzhou, China!

For its relatively simple form, there are a lot of intricate features on this one. The sign was fun to recreate as I always love embossing small details to paint later at this scale.

Last edited by Doctor Octoroc; Apr 3, 2018 at 2:21 AM.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 7:58 AM
Doctor, The Doctor...Fun

I'm really proud of this one - Jeddah (Kingdom) Tower in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia!

While the building is far from finished, I was able to find a lot of reference material by scouring the Internet. I used artist renderings, images of physical models, floor plans, and elevations to get the overall form and proportions correct. I even found a video of a lecture where they were explaining the transition from the main tower to the spire, which was a complex feature to get right with how the three segments split just after the large, round observation platform about 2/3 of the way up.

I also used a site plan for the ground details and terrain around the tower.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 1:14 AM
Doctor, The Doctor...Fun

Two more models done!

First up, Zhongyuan Tower in Henan Province, China.

I love how this tower looks so odd at first but then you see it from above and it resembles a flower with the framing acting as the leaves, the top of the observation area as the petals and the antenna as the stamen/pistil.

And the second, Shun Hing Square in Shenzen, Guangdong, China.

This one was probably the quickest model I've made. For being a neat skyscraper, the form is very simple.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 6:57 PM
Doctor, The Doctor...Fun

Two more models finished! I'm nearly done the second page of "world skyscrapers" diagram on the site!

First up, the Capital Market Authority Tower in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.

This one was very challenging! Even though I was able to find good source material, the most difficult part oddly enough was finding the center point of the tower in the elevation view. I managed to locate a section view which allowed me to line it up with the plan view (which the plan had a better indication of the center point) and from there I traced the inside profile of the 'split' between each of the three main sections. Then I used an elevation drawing to get the outside profile of the diamond panels. From there I was able to figure out how they transition into the main hexagonal form and build from there. The base section was also a challenge and if it weren't for a random plan drawing with a section cut just above the lower roof section which I was able to find in a video about the structure, I don't know how I would have gotten the roof details for that lower section correct!

And the next one is Eton Place Tower 1 in Dalian, China!

This one was a simpler shape but the way the angled portion cuts into the main rectangular shape was a pain to get just right. I also put extra detail into the window framing as this would otherwise be a flat surface, as well as detail on the roof that I was able to barely make out from Google satellite images. I'm not sure the top portion that angles back into the roof is correct or not but this is what I gathered from those satellite images.

I will eventually do tower 2 but as it's much further down the list, it may be awhile. I may offer a version with both towers in a single model attached by the concourse, or whatever it is, but it's probably not a very popular one so I'm not sure it's worth the extra work there...

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 10:28 AM
Doctor, The Doctor...Fun

And yet two more done! On a roll now...

First up, the Elite Residences in Dubai, UAE.

Much like 23 Marina and Princess Tower, this one has a lot of details on it - from the windows to the balconies to the decoration all over, it took a good while to get everything just right!

And the second one is the Transamerica Pyramid in San Francisco, CA, United States.

This one was relatively simple but the framing at the bottom took a bit to get right with all the beveling and the location of the posts in relation to each other.

I think I'm going to alternate between the next tallest and a shorter one I like enough to do before I get to it in the progression.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 6:04 AM
Doctor, The Doctor...Fun

Another model finished - the World Trade Center Residential Tower in Abu Dhabi, Uniter Arab Emirates!

I debated including both towers in one model but figured with all the space between them and the additional buildings on the ground level, it would be better to split them up and include a few surrounding structures for each to give context since the focus is the tower itself.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 7:35 PM
Doctor, The Doctor...Fun

And another one, 85 Sky Tower in Kaohsiung, Taiwan!

A LOT of fine details on this one - but a lot of good source material including a paper model that clarified some of the lower roof details. It's been awhile since I've done a structure with Google Maps street view since so many of the last set were in Dubai or China. Baidu is a good source but it's glitchy.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 3:05 AM
Doctor, The Doctor...Fun

Another TV tower up - there are a few in the lineup after this one as well...

Tashkent TV Tower in Tashkent, Uzbekistan!

As always, TV towers are simpler to model but each one has some cool, unique features - on this one, it was the diamond patterning around the two main observation sections, as well as the futuristic conical legs with what I imagine were meant to look like rocket engines between each of the three of those legs.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 3:27 PM
Doctor, The Doctor...Fun

Okay, so I was mistaken, there are a few more buildings between Tashkent and the next TV tower.

Here's Central Plaza in Wan Chai, Hong Kong, China.

I love the detailing on each of the three main sides with the gold and blue color scheme. I really want to print this one to paint. I also never realized the structure has walkways extending outward from the three slimmer sides between the main faces that create paths to various walkways around this part of the city! Of course, there wasn't a feasible way to include these features without cutting them off at the edges of the base so I simply represented the faces where they would connect in a similar manner to the wider, main faces of the building.

Last edited by Doctor Octoroc; Mar 24, 2018 at 8:02 AM.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2018, 8:01 AM
Doctor, The Doctor...Fun

And one more for the night - from here on out there are a number of TV towers I should be able to breeze through...

Here is Federation Tower in Moscow, Russia!

I did a ton of research on this one before modeling as I wanted to get the shape just right. It has two triangular towers with curved faces and a parabolic curve from top to bottom but most other models I've seen mistakenly taper on the inward facing facade, which while it does seem to have a very slight taper, it's barely noticeable when compared to the way the outside edges curve inward towards the top.

The base section is a football shape which outlines the two towers with space between them and has oddly shapes portions which form an overall rectangular footprint but cut in to reveal the face of the 'football'. It's a very cool structure and I enjoyed modeling it. I even included the logo on both sides of the shorter tower!

Old Posted Mar 24, 2018, 11:28 PM
Doctor, The Doctor...Fun

Alright, first of the next three TV towers down the list is done! Here's Liberation Tower in Kuwait City, Kuwait.

A cool structure with many tiers and very little to the base area. There is a walkway that extends from the semi-circle addition near the bottom out to a nearby structure (I'm assuming that's where people go to enter the tower) so I opted to include that semi-circular portion as it's a key element of the structure, even if it's not 'part of the design'. Tokyo Skytree has a similar section on the upper observation portion that connects two of the floors together.

Up next is Alma-Ata Tower in Almaty Kazakhstan, then on deck is Riga Radio & TV Tower in Riga, Latvia. After that is Berlin Tower, which I completed awhile ago, then it's back to buildings!

Old Posted Mar 25, 2018, 6:58 AM
Doctor, The Doctor...Fun

Next one done - here is Almaty Television Tower in Almaty, Kazakhstan!

This one doesn't have any really neat design elements aside from the knurling around the main observation portions, but the base is cool - sort of like a ski lodge. I like when the base of the tower is as interesting as the top so it's not just a stick in the ground

Old Posted Mar 25, 2018, 10:01 AM
Doctor, The Doctor...Fun

And here's Riga Radio & TV Tower in Riga, Latvia!

Cool design but not much to it. Just a sloped tri-wing frame with ridged panels and a triangular base.

Now that this slew of TV towers is finished, time to get to some more interesting structures! I have one more model to create before I'm finished the entire second page of skyscrapers in the main diagram!

Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 9:04 PM
Doctor, The Doctor...Fun

Back to buildings! Here's Address Boulevard in Dubai, United Arab Emirates!

I had a lot of fun with this one. I did a ton of research on the floor plans, which involved visiting a few realty websites to get floor plans for all suites on the middle portion of the tower and piecing them together to get the full floor plan. I then extrapolated the other floors from there based on photos and determined the location of the base and ground detail elements from satellite photos on Google Earth.

My favorite portion contains the tiers of pools and decks on the base. I recreated this as closely as possible as I could to how it appears in 'resort' photos including the tent umbrellas! I also included the EMAAR logo on the sides of the spire and on the front of the base section, along with "ADDRESS BOULEVARD" which definitely won't show up in the print but will be more suggestive.

Last edited by Doctor Octoroc; Apr 3, 2018 at 2:28 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art