HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 3:58 PM

Builder Toll Bros. begins buying Jewelers Row real estate for condo tower plan, report says

https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...-20190829.html

Quote:
Toll Bros. has reportedly acquired the first of several properties that it plans to demolish on Sansom Street’s Jewelers Row shopping district in Center City Philadelphia to make way for a 24-story mirrored-glass condo building.

The home builder, based in Horsham, completed its purchase of 704 Sansom St., a four-story retail and office property, earlier this month for just over $1.1 million, real estate tracker CoStar Group reported on its website Wednesday.

Construction of the 85-unit tower could begin before the end of the year, according to CoStar, which follows property sales in part by monitoring listings on the online commercial-real-estate marketplace that it maintains.

The 704 Sansom St. property is one of five parcels on the storied gem-shopping street that Toll has kept under contract for years as it overcame challenges to the tower project, largely from groups pushing for the buildings’ preservation as historic assets.

Toll cleared its final design reviews for the tower in spring 2018 and began sending eviction notices to tenants at several of the Sansom Street properties last April alluding to impending sales.

The company plans to raze the properties spanning 702-710 Sansom St., along with an adjacent property on Seventh Street. The property at 712-714 Sansom St. is also part of the project site, but is not slated for demolition.

The 704 Sansom St. property’s sale has not been recorded with the city. A Toll spokesman had no immediate comment on CoStar’s report.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 3:58 PM

^^LOL. Posted at the same time. I'll edit mine out.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 4:28 PM

Starting by the end of the year? Has anyone else noticed that East of Broad is on fire lately?

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Starting by the end of the year? Has anyone else noticed that East of Broad is on fire lately?
many proposals, lets see some actual groundbreakings. Still waiting for demo to start at 11th and Sansom for that hotel. There have to be at least 6 towers that have been to CDR and have yet to start construction east of Broad.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 5:58 PM
Philly Pholly

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFTA View Post
^Thanks man. We're running out of room and that's a good problem to have.

Just out of curiosity, does anybody know how easy/difficult it would be to build on top of the convention center? It takes up so much real estate, I wonder if it would ever be a possibility.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milksteak View Post
Just out of curiosity, does anybody know how easy/difficult it would be to build on top of the convention center? It takes up so much real estate, I wonder if it would ever be a possibility.
I doubt you could ever put towers up there due to the high-ceiling/open floors below. I'd be curious if you could put some sort of (relatively) lightweight flat structure on it and create an urban sports-complex of sorts, surrounded by netting to captures balls and whatnot. That'd be very neat.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milksteak View Post
^Thanks man. We're running out of room and that's a good problem to have.

Or at least a green or solar roof.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 10:24 PM
Philly Pholly

I imagine a new undulating stylized roof with soaring peaks and skylights.

roof by

roof 2 by

roof 3 by

roof 4 by

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFTA View Post
I imagine a new undulating stylized roof with soaring peaks and skylights.

roof by

roof 2 by

roof 3 by

roof 4 by
I'd rather it be a giant elevated park that could serve as a grand entrance to the rail park which it could easily connect to.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
I'd rather it be a giant elevated park that could serve as a grand entrance to the rail park which it could easily connect to.
Ooh, that's a good idea. If feasible, that would get my vote.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 2:23 PM

To the east of the convention center is probably one of the most parking lot strewn parts of Center city. There’s a lot of room to go sideways before going up.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 3:22 PM

Sadly the area closest to the rail park (across 676/Vine) is now a loading dock. I would love a connection between the old reading viaduct and the old terminal station though!

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eixample View Post
Sadly the area closest to the rail park (across 676/Vine) is now a loading dock. I would love a connection between the old reading viaduct and the old terminal station though!
Don't see why it would be a problem. The viaduct could just be placed over the ramp to the loading dock. The roof of the convention center is like 40 feet above the highest part of the loading dock, there would still be plenty of room underneath the viaduct for even the biggest imaginable truck.

I think rebuilding the viaduct over 676 would be much more costly and difficult than building over the ramp up to the convention center loading dock.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 6:47 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
Don't see why it would be a problem. The viaduct could just be placed over the ramp to the loading dock. The roof of the convention center is like 40 feet above the highest part of the loading dock, there would still be plenty of room underneath the viaduct for even the biggest imaginable truck.

I think rebuilding the viaduct over 676 would be much more costly and difficult than building over the ramp up to the convention center loading dock.
In fact the Convention Center ramp begins at street level on Vine St *is* the viaduct over Race St or at least a replacement of it.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2019, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boku View Post
Builder Toll Brothers completes Jewelers’ Row property purchases for condo tower plan

https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...-20190829.html

The article was updated. Apparently they already finished officially acquiring the properties.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2019, 6:57 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
To the east of the convention center is probably one of the most parking lot strewn parts of Center city. There’s a lot of room to go sideways before going up.
Chinatown? I think you've got your directions mixed up.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Aug 31, 2019, 1:40 PM

Assuming he means 7th-9th, but directly North is bad as well.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2019, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
Chinatown? I think you've got your directions mixed up.
Nope. There are plenty of lots in and around Chinatown.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2019, 3:44 PM
Philly Pholly

Chinatown seems to be surrounded by parking lots more than having parking lots. The area north of the Convention Center has been isolated from Center City. The Vine Street Expressway has impacted it's development. The area west and south of Franklin Square seems poised for development. How much of that is government owned? As Center City empty lots fill I believe there will be a new interest in these areas. The only areas left for Center City development is to the north and west. I hope they don't underestimate the value.

CC 9-1-19

Last edited by SEFTA; Sep 1, 2019 at 4:16 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals