HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Nov 3, 2010, 7:24 PM
cities|transit|croissants

The interesting thing about the Pac is that it is by far the most cyclical of the conferences. Every single team has been good in recent memory.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 5:47 PM

Uhhh...no WSU blows...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
The interesting thing about the Pac is that it is by far the most cyclical of the conferences. Every single team has been good in recent memory.
Washington State BLOWS in football. They are the PAC UNM in football and in most sports.

I love the idea of the Utes in the PAC. It will be very cool.

The PAC is NOT the strongest of the conferences. The SEC. the Big 10 and The Big 12 are definitely more powerful over all.

What I would say is that every season the PAC 12 will have 5-6 really great teams and that the Utes are only going to raise their standing. Colorado has to be years away. Better than New Mexico but worse than the entire PAC. Being in the PAC is going to help CU comeback but they have to dump Hawkins. He blows. Best thing that ever happened to BSU.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 6:13 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Washington State blows at football right now, but they won the Pac and were in the Rose Bowl as recently as 2003. When was the last time Vanderbilt, Iowa State, Duke, or Indiana won their leagues? All the other conferences have perpetual doormats. The Pac does not.

As for who is the strongest conference, if you care to click here you'll find a rational and more or less objective case showing that the Pac is the strongest conference this season. Disputing that claim seriously will require an equally rational and objective line of reasoning. Simply saying "nuh uh" isn't going to do it.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 6:16 PM
ColoRADo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC Rick View Post
Washington State BLOWS in football. They are the PAC UNM in football and in most sports.

I love the idea of the Utes in the PAC. It will be very cool.

The PAC is NOT the strongest of the conferences. The SEC. the Big 10 and The Big 12 are definitely more powerful over all.

What I would say is that every season the PAC 12 will have 5-6 really great teams and that the Utes are only going to raise their standing. Colorado has to be years away. Better than New Mexico but worse than the entire PAC. Being in the PAC is going to help CU comeback but they have to dump Hawkins. He blows. Best thing that ever happened to BSU.
Recent memory:

WSU went to the Rose Bowl in 02-03.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 9:24 PM

or you could look at the computer ratings
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbc10.htm
the pac is the toughest conference this year, as of this week.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 11:39 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

We (CU Buffs) are so going to get our clocks cleaned in the PAC. And I can't wait!

Old Posted Nov 5, 2010, 12:28 AM

We all know that TCU will beat Utah this weekend, but if you guys can beat up TCU a bit, we would appreciate it. I'm actually hoping that Utah will win...

Old Posted Nov 5, 2010, 6:19 AM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaKid View Post
We all know that TCU will beat Utah this weekend, but if you guys can beat up TCU a bit, we would appreciate it. I'm actually hoping that Utah will win...

You do realized that if Utah wins they could then jump pass Boise St. in the rankings just like what TCU did last week?
But yea, I'm hoping for Utah to win also.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Nov 5, 2010, 8:57 AM

Yeah if TCU wins then Boise has no championship shot this year, because TCU will can easily win out. If Utah wins though they still have some tough upcoming games at Notre Dame and SDSU.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Nov 5, 2010, 9:16 AM
Dare Mighty Things

Nobody really knows exactly what will happen, but If I were to make the best guess with the information that I have, I think Boise State could jump an undefeated TCU, but it would take a very improbable series of events... VA Tech would have to win the ACC, Baylor would have to lose all of their upcoming games, TCU would have to look bad in their wins, and we would have to dominate our upcoming games with clear victories. And then Nevada and Hawaii would have to win the rest of their games after we play them.

So possible? Yes. Probable? Not at all.

However, I don't think it would be easy for Utah to jump Boise State. I just don't see it happening, looking at polls and seeing what people think. Almost all of Utah's opponents would have to win the rest of their games, and all of Boise's would have to lose the rest of their's. I just don't see it happening.

But I don't think it's going to be an easy win for TCU like so many strangely think it is. In fact, while the odds might give an edge to TCU, but overall Utah has enough advantages on their side that it could easily swing to their favor as the game goes on. We'll see. Obviously I'm rooting for Utah for my selfish pro-Boise State views, but even if it didn't, I would still root for Utah due to my seething hatred of TCU.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2010, 9:17 AM
Dare Mighty Things

Oops, sorry for the bad spelling/grammar... I'm typing this on my phone...

Old Posted Nov 5, 2010, 1:43 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatKidFromBoise View Post
And then Nevada and Hawaii would have to win the rest of their games after we play them.
I love how the discussion is about whether TCU will finish undefeated. But the assumption is that Boise State will.

God I want you guys to lose.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2010, 2:56 PM
Dare Mighty Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
I love how the discussion is about whether TCU will finish undefeated. But the assumption is that Boise State will.

God I want you guys to lose.
I'm not assuming anything about us going undefeated. I was doing so in that post for the sake of my example of how we could jump TCU, which I figured us going undefeated would have to be a given in order for that to happen.

I think Hawaii could very well upset us especially if they're having a good day and we're having a bad day. They have a great offense, and are not the Hawaii team of last year. Honestly, if you were to ask me, I think they're underrated and Nevada is overrated. I would reverse their spots in the rankings.

But it's pretty obvious you're just looking for reasons to trash my posts, so whatever.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2010, 3:03 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Just quoting. Nowhere in your series of posts (or any Boise fan posts) did I see a statement as simple as, "assuming we win out..." Even the most arrogant of big conference fans would still take the time to say, "if we can beat x, y, z, then..." It's almost like you're reinforcing what we all say about Boise having a weak schedule. It's so weak, you don't even entertain doubts about winning every game. (Until specifically asked, at least. Good to see you'll at least consider the possibility that one of your fearsome WAC opponents might have a prayer.)

Old Posted Nov 5, 2010, 3:24 PM
Dare Mighty Things

Quote:
Just quoting. Nowhere in your series of posts (or any Boise fan posts) did I see a statement as simple as, "assuming we win out..." Even the most arrogant of big conference fans would still take the time to say, "if we can beat x, y, z, then..." It's almost like you're reinforcing what we all say about Boise having a weak schedule. It's so weak, you don't even entertain doubts about winning every game. (Until specifically asked, at least. Good to see you'll at least consider the possibility that one of your fearsome WAC opponents might have a prayer.)
Sorry, you're right, I could've worded it better... When I said "and we would have to dominate our upcoming games with clear victories..." I meant that as meaning that not only would we have to win, but we would have to win big in order to jump TCU. No assumptions that we'll go undefeated in the first place at all.

And it was 3am on my phone and I ws tired. I actually do have quite a bit of nervousness and doubt over the Nevada and Hawaii games, but I try to remain optimistic about both. Like I say, both teams are stronger this year than they have been in other recent years, so by no means do I just assume that we're going to win. That would be really arrogant of me.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2010, 3:28 PM

Quote:
So everyone gives us a hard time about a weak schedule, then when we talk about winning out, we get jumped? Interesting. Not a whole lot of room to breath.

Hawaii beat us in '07. You'd better believe that coach Pete is fully aware of the ability for ANY college football team ANYwhere to beat Boise State (or any team for that matter). That's the way he looks at his games: it's a game against a football opponent that could go one way or the other.

I contend that Boise State has tons of pressure playing in the WAC. If we lose to any of our "cupcake" opponents, then we're going to get attacked from everyone college football fan in the world. But if we win out, we still don't get much love. Fans from the bigger conferences are the ones who push the bad attitudes saying that every WAC team is a joke.

Anyway, back on to the TCU v Utah game. I'm sure the winner will do much to solidify a lead on BSU. But I wonder how much of an impact it makes that Boise State has only played 7 games to date. Do we continue to climb a bit in the rankings once we're finished?

I foresee a shootout. And a good game regardless.

Also, what channel will this game be aired on?

Old Posted Nov 5, 2010, 3:52 PM
Dare Mighty Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianjt View Post
Hawaii beat us in '07. You'd better believe that coach Pete is fully aware of the ability for ANY college football team ANYwhere to beat Boise State (or any team for that matter). That's the way he looks at his games: it's a game against a football opponent that could go one way or the other.
This right here.

In the end, it doesn't matter what any of us Boise State fans think anyway. I guarantee you all of the clueless and arrogant Boise State fans are not in any way remotely similar to how Coach Petersen thinks and how his team thinks. Here's a pretty interesting interview where he talks about the game against Hawaii a little bit. You can definitely tell he knows it's not a sure-thing at all.

http://media.idahostatesman.com/smed...filiate.36.mp3

Old Posted Nov 5, 2010, 4:24 PM

It is on CBS College Sports Network...I have heard that it may be on ESPN instead of the Alabama/LSU game.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2010, 5:22 PM

The PAC is going to be a stunning advance for the Utes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
Washington State blows at football right now, but they won the Pac and were in the Rose Bowl as recently as 2003. When was the last time Vanderbilt, Iowa State, Duke, or Indiana won their leagues? All the other conferences have perpetual doormats. The Pac does not.

As for who is the strongest conference, if you care to click here you'll find a rational and more or less objective case showing that the Pac is the strongest conference this season. Disputing that claim seriously will require an equally rational and objective line of reasoning. Simply saying "nuh uh" isn't going to do it.
I am totally psyched to be in the PAC 12. Do not misunderstand me regarding that. Utah joining will mean many positive things for the Utes and the University (which is a serious up in affiliation and the ability to share and work together in academic studies and projects.

In truth Utah is all positive for the PAC. I think in getting Utah the PAC is getting a great deal. So much upside with the Utes.
One thing is that Utah is going to have to upgrade in basketball (hopefully like the Rick days), track and field (does Utah even have a team?), Mens volleyball (big in the PAC) Men's Gymnastics (Do we have a men's gymnastic team? the woman's team...what can you say...one of the top two programs with Georgia.

By the way for every Iowa State, Indiana, Duke or Vanderbilt that you mention, there are at least 6-8 tremendous programs in each of those conferences. If you think of Iowa State has not won their league...check on Oklahoma, Texas, Nebraska. The now Big 10/11 teams that you mention happen to be in the same league as the Indiana that you mention along with Ohio State, Michigan etc)...Let's see, Vanderbilt hmmm... oh yeah their conference has LSU, Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee etc. Duke...I will give you that the ACC is not in the PAC's league in football. Basketball is a different story.

No matter what Utah is going to really rock with the affiliation with one of the very best overall conferences in the land.

Mostly I was pushing buttons when I did the first post but you just cannot take the PAC as the best because the top 5 conferences are all excellent in athletics and academics.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2010, 5:26 PM

If Utah loses to ND...hmmmm...I do not think so!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyAnderson View Post
Yeah if TCU wins then Boise has no championship shot this year, because TCU will can easily win out. If Utah wins though they still have some tough upcoming games at Notre Dame and SDSU.
This is the proverbial down year for possibly the most storied program in the nation. Utah is the better team.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West