HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Europe

Old Posted Feb 11, 2007, 10:11 PM
Insane User

Housing in your country

Hi all, I’m new here so I’ll say hello first.

Hello

What I would like to query is the housing situation in your country. I have seen some articles on housing in the USA and they seem to be absolutely huge, whereas in England the situation is quite bleak. Australia also have large houses.

Here is what is said about American housing.

Quote:
But there's an elephant in the living room of most of these green homes. Call it square footage -- lots and lots of it. Fifty years ago, the average house size was 1,100 square feet, and the average household size was 4.2 people. Today, the average house size has increased to 2,150 square feet, while the average household size has declined to 2.3 people.
"That's a killer combination," said Mike O'Brien, a program manager in the Portland, Ore., Office of Sustainable Development. "In the space of 50 years, we've reversed the equation completely."
Quoted from first link.

Houses in USA 1

Houses in USA 2

Houses in England

My dad bought a newly built three bedroom house in 2000/2001. The house is very small, even the back bedroom isn’t big enough to fit a bed in for crying out loud, it has to be used as a storage room which also makes me wonder whether it should be called a bedroom.

When I was working through the summer last year I met a friend from Hungary and he told me the flat/apartment he has over there is bigger than the house he was staying in over here.

I know this has a lot to do with population and area but I still wish they could do better. Small living space affects a person’s quality of life.

Well my rant is over, so what are the houses/flats/apartments like where you live?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Europe