HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Europe

Old Posted Sep 25, 2006, 4:08 PM
Lovable dictator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricemazda
But anyway, tax rates vary wildly from EU member state to member state. Sweden has some of the highest taxes in the EU, but has a great economy, low unemployment, good growth, low inflation, low interest rates and some of the world's best known companies. So if I were you I wouldn't believe everything you think about European economies. Sweden shows you can combine social justice and economic growth.
Youth unemployment is at 25% in Sweden.

Anyway, we've been thru this discussion a million times. All westerners share certain similarities but the differences between a "regular" Spaniard and a regular Finn are bigger than the differences between a Texan and a Pennsylvanian (eg).

Old Posted Sep 25, 2006, 4:14 PM

What do you consider "youth"?
My cousion is 14 , young and "youthful", as well as jobless....but thats how it should be because he's still in school.

Youth = 18 - XX ?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2006, 4:15 PM

"This is not only seen in Europe. Canada is clearly split into two very different cultural regions."

Correction...three.
English West and Maritimes, French Quebec...but there's also a growing number of natives who are for the first time enjoying very high birth rates & profits from oil/gas wealth up in the northern territories.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2006, 4:17 PM
Lovable dictator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrbijaCG
What do you consider "youth"?
My cousion is 14 , young and "youthful", as well as jobless....but thats how it should be because he's still in school.

Youth = 18 - XX ?
It probably refers to people under a certain age (25 or something like that) who get state benefits. Of course they don't considler toddlers to be unemployed...

Sweden's been hiding that unemployment by just putting them in state sponsored work programs, which means that they lose their designation of being unemployed.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2006, 5:00 PM
Dwarf Planet

In America we are a step to create the new photonic computer and make obsolete all the electronic technology...

photonics is the XXIst century, American Supremacy.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2006, 5:23 PM
Dwarf Planet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazepa
I'm been in U.S. from northernmost point bordering Canada in New-York state, down to Florida and in every state in between. I haven't observed any significant difference, in fact, besides the weather change as you go south, there's really no difference. Which is not the case in Europe. Romania and Norway, where to begin listing the differences?

It would make more sense to then speak of United Countries of North America, which would include Mexico and Canada.

There's just too much cultural differences between every European country. It's not the same as comparing immigrant groups of various backgrounds in U.S., because in America these groups sooner or later assimilate into what is called an American. There will never be such thing as simply "European", even if EU one day will include entire Europe.

As to economical advantages, they are there and I'm all for it. But it doesn't have to include any further political and state integration.

Im agree with this.... a United NorthAmerica is almost unstoppable.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2006, 5:32 PM
Lovable dictator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceres
In America we are a step to create the new photonic computer and make obsolete all the electronic technology...

photonics is the XXIst century, American Supremacy.
Photonics? I think you need something like this instead:

Old Posted Sep 25, 2006, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown_meltdown
This one blew my mind. I'm really eager to hear your rationale behind it.
look at your signature for the answer to that one

Old Posted Sep 25, 2006, 6:07 PM
Hail Kampflamm!

Double post

Old Posted Sep 25, 2006, 6:08 PM
Hail Kampflamm!

To be one country All the EU nations including France should be made to speak English.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2006, 6:24 PM
Gascons aren't Vascons

And they say France sees Europe as an extension of itself.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2006, 6:27 PM
touch the heavens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonRush

Is the term Generation E used commonly in Europe today? Or was it exaggerated by the author?
I'd never heard it, before you mentioned. Here in Poland I've heard about Generation: X, Y, JPII, H and degeneration X.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2006, 6:34 PM
touch the heavens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by apbest
look at your signature for the answer to that one
I know, what I postulate, doofus. Still I don't see how that makes Poland similar to Texas.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2006, 6:38 PM
Hail Kampflamm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exarchus
And they say France sees Europe as an extension of itself.
The EU flag should look something like this then

Old Posted Sep 25, 2006, 6:50 PM

Yeah all westerns (in general) share certain similarities, but my point is that all Europeans (again in general) also share certain similarities not shared by other westerners and in particular not by Americans (...in general...).
One just has to look at certain laws and general attitutes to see that this is true.
There definately exists a shared European culture stemming from the shared history and contemporary culture as well (everything ranging from tv to sports to politics etc even cars and food).
I would NOT agree the average Fin is more different from a Spaniard then an average Pennsylvanian is from an average Texan and I just had 3 weeks that reinforced my views in this matter greatly.

Now more then ever, people who continue to deny the existance of a shared European culture need to get out more...

Last edited by SHiRO; Sep 25, 2006 at 7:42 PM.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2006, 6:51 PM
Junior Senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricemazda
But anyway, tax rates vary wildly from EU member state to member state. Sweden has some of the highest taxes in the EU, but has a great economy, low unemployment, good growth, low inflation, low interest rates and some of the world's best known companies. So if I were you I wouldn't believe everything you think about European economies. Sweden shows you can combine social justice and economic growth.
Sweden has the highest taxes in the world, >1M people unemployed and jobless growth.

Sure we have some known companies, but they were created a long time ago. There's no way a company could flourish and grow that way today. In Sweden, that is.

I'd say one of the main reasons to this situation are the taxes.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2006, 7:09 PM
Gascons aren't Vascons

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarky2005
The EU flag should look something like this then

We don't put our flag on the corner. We rather add the stuff in the center of it.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2006, 7:09 PM
Lovable dictator

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarky2005
To be one country All the EU nations including France should be made to speak English.
And Deutsch!

Clarky, I'll get you a copy of "DeutschPlus" for Christmas. That way you can correspond with ze Germans in their native tongue.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2006, 7:39 PM
Lovable dictator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHiRO
Now more then ever, people who continue to deny the existance of a shared European culture need to get out more...
Again, your typical condescending attitude.

What Europe is lacking, and what the US has, is a sense of nationhood. Regardless of whether you're a redneck hick, or a gay New Yorker, you consider yourself to be an American and you're usually proud of that. I don't see what I have in common with hardcore Catholic Poles or Sicilian mobsters. I don't understand their language or share their values.

And we don't have a shared history or culture either. Parts of Europe were ruled by the Ottoman Empire for centuries. What sort of history does Germany share with a place like Bulgaria? As I said in another thread on SSC, that country might as well be located in southeast Asia (don't mean this in a derogatory way). I feel like Germany has much more in common with non-European countries like Canada or the US than with Bulgaria or other Balkan states.

So please feel free to point out the particular similarities that Germans and, say, Montenegrins or Bulgarians share (similarities which we don't share with Americans or Canadians).

Last edited by The Dear Leader; Sep 25, 2006 at 7:44 PM.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2006, 8:18 PM

All good points. There is a similarity when it comes to the way of life in Europe - caffee shops, narrow streets, old architecture, use of public transportation (buses, trains). It is different from what you could find on average in any other continent but there is no such thing as a "shared European culture".

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Europe