HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects

Old Posted Apr 5, 2008, 11:23 PM

Cool CHICAGO | 7 South Dearborn | 1,567 FT / 478 M | 112 FLOORS | NEVER BUILT

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7_South_Dearborn

7 South Dearborn was a planned skyscraper in Chicago, United States. It would have been 2,000 feet (610 m) high and at the intersection of Madison and Dearborn.

Plans for the 112-story building were announced in 1999 by Scott Toberman of European-American Realty. This would have been the tallest in Chicago at 1,567 feet (478m), surpassing Sears Tower by 116 feet (35 m). It would also have taken the title for world's tallest building, being 84 feet (26 m) taller than the Petronas Towers. A set of 3 433-foot broadcast antennas (not included in the official height) would have brought the total height of the structure to 2,000 feet (610 m).

7 South Dearborn would have been mixed-use, with 11 stories of retail and parking at the base, providing 800 spaces of parking, followed by 765,000 sq ft (71,100 m²). of office space on 32 floors, then 360 residential units on 43 floors, topping out with 90,600 feet (27,600 m) of communications facilities on 13 floors. 4 floors of basement and 9 mechanical floors bring the total to 112 floors.

This building represented a major departure from convention by having a big height with small floorplates. This was made possible by a stayed-mast structural system in which columns around the perimeter ("stays") are linked radially to the core by multi-story trusses ("spreaders") at two points along the tower's shaft. The residential and communications floors would have been cantilevered out from the central core, to avoid perimeter columns and maximize views.

In September of 1999, the Chicago City Council approved the project.

In October of 1999, Donald Trump offered to join European-American Realty in the project. They declined, so Trump began looking for other sites to invest in Chicago. Later, his efforts would culminate in the construction of Trump Tower Chicago, which used a design that borrowed much from 7 South Dearborn.

After being approved, Scott Toberman, CEO of European-American, faced difficulties in obtaining financing for the construction. In April of 2000, after several failed financing attempts, the media companies backing the antenna aspect of the proposal backed out. European-American then defaulted on payment of a $22 million mortgage on the land, forcing Toberman to return the land deed to Banque Worms Capital Corp, a representative of his lender.

Later in 2000, several rumors circulated that the project would be revived, due to activity on the project site and several developers showing interest. Nothing ever came of it, and several years later, Hines Interests Ltd announced plans for a much more modest, 571-foot (174 m) building on the site called One South Dearborn. This building was completed in 2005.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2008, 11:54 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

It's hard to tell what it would've actually looked like.

What does One South Dearborn look like?

Old Posted Apr 10, 2008, 11:14 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayreonaut View Post
It's hard to tell what it would've actually looked like.

What does One South Dearborn look like?
One South Dearborn is a really nice building, with a great little modernist plaza that compliments the Inland Steel Building (it's not really a plaza so much as a generous setback from the street). It was the first office building to be completed in Chicago after 9/11, so the lobby was designed with security concerns in mind.

Currently, it can be seen from Millennium Park behind the Michigan Avenue streetwall of buildings, but Legacy will block it once it is completed.

If you want a general sense of what 7 South Dearborn would have looked like, take a look at Trump Tower Chicago. It uses a similar curtainwall and has the same designer.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2008, 11:51 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

That's a nice building anyway, it would be pretty major in many cities.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2008, 5:26 PM
BANNED

This building deserves to have more renders shown.

I would love to see this one built someday in Chicago, at a different location, for the 7S site is taken.

Since the Spire eliminated the broadcasting antenna perhaps this one could make since on this issue alone.
Oh and we could put a skydeck up there.

http://www.smithgill.com/images/7sd01lg.jpg

Quote:
http://www.smithgill.com/as-7southdearborn.htm

With 108 stories and an antenna together reaching over 2,000 feet, 7 South Dearborn was conceived to be a figural piece that would stand alone in the city of Chicago as the tallest structure in the United States and the symbolic center point of the downtown central business district. The tower represents a major advance in the engineering of tall buildings.

The record-setting height is made possible by the building’s stayed mast structural system, formed by a series of spaces that evolve from a reinforced concrete core. A number of widely spaced columns dot the perimeter of the office component, allowing the interior to be column-free. The cantilevering of the upper 57 floors from a concrete core provides 11-foot floor-to-ceiling uninterrupted views in all directions. The spandrel panels on the south, east and west surfaces were designed to be clad with integrated photovoltaic panels. The “notches” separating the upper sections of the residential floors act as ventilators to reduce the vortex-shedding forces on the overall mass.

The mixed-use complex includes 360 residential units on 40 floors, office space on 36 floors and 800 parking spaces on 12 floors in addition to 13 floors of communication facilities.

SOM has an image gallary.

http://www.som.com/content.cfm/7_south_dearborn

Quote:
Although it was never built, the 2003 design for a 2,000-foot tall, 118-story large-scale mixed-use tower in downtown Chicago incorporated architectural and structural engineering advances that marked an important milestone in high-rise development. The next-generation stayed-mast structural system introduced for the project enabled a smaller and less-expensive floor plate to support a far taller tower.

Project Facts

Site Area: 200 ft2
Project Area: 1,900,000 ft2
Building Height: 2,000 ft
Number of Stories: 118

Emporis has several photos and renders.

http://www.emporis.com/en/il/im/?id=228328

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=103010

http://www.emporis.com/en/il/im/?id=336543
Photo of model taken at the Unbuilt Chicago Exhibit at the Art Institute of Chicago - 2004-4-9 (Emporis Image No. 336543)
(c) B. Victor Adams

Last edited by bnk; Apr 12, 2008 at 5:51 PM.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2008, 8:32 AM

This building did fit in with the Chicago design as opposed to the giant wine bottle corkscrew opener they are now building.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2008, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherus View Post
This building did fit in with the Chicago design as opposed to the giant wine bottle corkscrew opener they are now building.
I have to disagree.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2008, 2:11 PM

Here is a really cool image of 7 South Dearborn.

I couldn't find any information on this illustration/photomontage.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 6, 2008 at 7:39 PM.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2008, 7:21 PM

Too bad about this one, kinda liked the design.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2008, 10:03 PM
Desert Dweller

I remember being excited for this building back then, oh well. I'd be cool to see this built than the Chicago Spire!

Old Posted Apr 6, 2008, 10:07 PM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Just imagine, Chicago Spire totally dwarfs this.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2008, 10:48 PM
Desert Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGII View Post
Just imagine, Chicago Spire totally dwarfs this.
Woah, I forgot how tall the Chicago Spire is, although I guess it wouldnt be that tall if you counted 7 South Dearborn's antenna.

Last edited by Patrick; Apr 7, 2008 at 12:11 AM.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2008, 5:48 AM
Run with Love

I liked this one too
"Dazzled by the needles of light stitching the water, I turned to watch him watch them. I noticed his eyelashes were reflected in his eyes, like awning in windowpanes. As I tried to make sense of that reflection, I found I could not look away. His irises were brown, clouding into orange with brighter flecks around his pupils. Then it became as important not to look as to look, I feared I would be lost in rush of bronze motes."

Old Posted Apr 9, 2008, 7:54 PM
California goth

it's a bit on the goofy side. looksl ike it belongs in shanghai or dubai, not chicago.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2008, 8:38 PM

Only 112 floors ?
Wasn't it something like 115 or 120 ?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2008, 6:38 PM

Yep.

It would have been a beauty for certain, and nicely located in the skyline.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2008, 8:54 AM

I really like the design. Futuristic and elegant. Too bad that it was cancelled.

Emporis used to have a high-res version of the picture below.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2008, 6:27 PM

This is a rendering of my 7 South Dearborn Sketchup model. Chase Tower was not modeled by me, but was found on Google 3d Warehouse.

To view in Google Earth: http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...86&prevstart=0

7 SOUTH DEARBORN

Old Posted Nov 11, 2008, 6:55 PM

Old Posted Nov 11, 2008, 7:24 PM

This would look nice in Lake Shore East. Right at the corner of lake Shore Drive and Wacker

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects