HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 10:18 PM
Engineer

Timely question taboubak. A CDR document for Tower 8 was uploaded today:

Looks like they're planning on 395 feet. Our third new third-tallest building this decade (99 West at 375, then 111 at 387, and now this at 395).

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 10:48 PM

Nice!

Are those page numbers at the bottom of the two pictures (01, and 21?)

Were there any more pages or information posted?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 11:02 PM
Engineer

I don't know what that number is. There were 5 pages.

To see the document go to this page:

https://aca.slcgov.com/Citizen/Cap/C...bName=PLANNING

Scroll down and click search and you should see Tower 8 in the results (if not there search for petition no. PLNPCM2018-00868). Click on the link to the petition. Then on the petition page click the dropdown menu where it says Record Info and select attachments. Everything they've uploaded will show up there. May be more later.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 11:07 PM
Engineer

By my estimate the tower portion will be 217 feet along State Street and 112 feet along 100 South. That gives the dimensions of 395 x 217 x 112. As a comparison, the Key Bank Building across the street is about 351 x 200 x 103, so quite similar but slightly bigger. Tower 8 will have some curves though.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 11:55 PM

Pure hear say....but I heard that they are trying to make the Royal Wood tower 40+ stories tall. The person that told me isn’t familiar with the details of the project but stated that there was some issues with zoning. I’ll try to get more info

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 3:16 AM

I heard that Tower 8 is still slated to start construction this year, is that true?

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 3:38 AM

If they are at 100% Design Development, they probably have 6 months more for Construction Documents. Though, they could be permitting the foundation and core work prior to finishing the rest of the documents, which I assume is very likely. Given the client, and the progress they are making, I think we will be seeing excavation starting sometime in the spring or summer of next year.

I really like what they did at the top by adding that curvature, and the extra height. Just think if they would have lopped off another bay and just added that extra floor space on top, we could have had a tower close to 450 feet tall. We need something taller in the city to show SLC is not just a small town.

Last edited by Orlando; Nov 8, 2018 at 5:16 AM.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 3:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPdesign View Post
Pure hear say....but I heard that they are trying to make the Royal Wood tower 40+ stories tall. The person that told me isn’t familiar with the details of the project but stated that there was some issues with zoning. I’ll try to get more info
The problem they are mentioning about zoning is the height. There are max. heights to help shape downtown. The tallest height limits are between State Street and West Temple. Once you start going further west from West Temple, the allowable heights reduce. Royal Woods Plaza site probably has a height limit of 200 to 250 feet.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 4:00 AM

For Tower 8 they'll need approvals for the planning commission which means we should see some renderings soon. Also, UTA broke ground on their Clean Fuels Technology Center today which means in two years the garage site on 200 South/600 West will be ready for redevelopment.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 4:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
The problem they are mentioning about zoning is the height. There are max. heights to help shape downtown. The tallest height limits are between State Street and West Temple. Once you start going further west from West Temple, the allowable heights reduce. Royal Woods Plaza site probably has a height limit of 200 to 250 feet.
Yup, I agree there is about zero chance of 40 stories being approved at that site unfortunately. I thinks it time for SLC to have a new shape to its skyline. I think it’s long past time we make some major updates to zoning now. I could see them bump up the limits to the west pretty easy as far as height is concerned.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 4:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah_Dave View Post
Yup, I agree there is about zero chance of 40 stories being approved at that site unfortunately. I thinks it time for SLC to have a new shape to its skyline. I think it’s long past time we make some major updates to zoning now. I could see them bump up the limits to the west pretty easy as far as height is concerned.
Tower 8 could be as tall as 500 plus feet. The D1 zone actually goes from West Temple to 200 East. Any corner parcel in the D1 zone can go up to 375 feet outright and taller through a Conditional Building and Site Design Review, so even at that site, they could have built much taller.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 12:03 PM

Nice update in the Deseret News on the new Airport. Of course I posted this over on the Airport Thread, but for those of us like Orlando and me who love a lot of pics I had to post it here for sufficient SLC picture cred.

Get a glimpse into what the new Salt Lake City International Airport will look like

By Katie McKellar @KatieMcKellar1
Published: October 22, 2018 6:49 pm -
Additional Photos and full artical at https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...kes-shape.html

SALT LAKE CITY — As the $3.6 billion redesign of the Salt Lake City International Airport soars along toward the 2020 opening of its first phase, some finishing details have already begun emerging.

There are copper colored exterior panels, meant to mimic Utah's characteristic red rock. Reddish-brown, metallic tiles also line some interior walls. Some bathrooms have also nearly been completed.

Those details include the first glimpses of how the new airport will look when travelers will first be able to step foot inside the south concourse next year, the first of two concourses expected to be finished by the end of 2020.

Airport officials on Monday gave media another behind-the-scenes tour of the massive construction site, providing a progress update on the state's largest public project to date...

... among all the new, there was one old feature that has been waiting more than a decade to be revealed. The Media
got the first glimpse of a tunnel that was first planned in the late 1990s and completed 14 years ago, in 2004, in anticipation of the massive airport re-design.

A tunnel in what will be Concourse A at the new Salt Lake City International Airport is pictured on Monday, Oct. 22, 2018. The tunnel will house a future tram for access to a third terminal. Photo By Steve Griffin, Deseret News

..."The project really couldn't be built without this tunnel being in place," Mike Williams, airport redevelopment program director, said as he led Monday's tour. "It would be much more difficult to phase our way through this project."

The tunnel, which stretches beneath the taxiway, will also have moving walkways to help travelers quickly connect with the north concourse — also expected to be completed by the end of 2020.

Later on, another more central tunnel will connect the two parallel concourses, planned for phase 2 of the project, Williams said...So far, with about 700 days to go until the first phase's 2020 opening, the re-design has been tracking on schedule and on budget, according to Williams.

"The project is going really well," he said...

Tunnel, Video Link: https://youtu.be/UnN_x9t7SFE

The current short-term parking structure at the Salt Lake City International Airport is reflected in what will be Concourse A's large glass wall on Monday, Oct. 22, 2018. Photo By Steve Griffin, Deseret News

Cranes are pictured outside what will be the new Salt Lake City International Airport's Concourse A on Monday, Oct. 22, 2018. Photo By Steve Griffin, Deseret News

Mike Williams, director of the Salt Lake City International Airport terminal redevelopment program, holds up a rope barrier for members of the media during a tour of the new airport on Monday, Oct. 22, 2018. Photo By Steve Griffin, Deseret News

An entrance to a men's restroom in what will be Concourse A at the new Salt Lake City International Airport is pictured on Monday, Oct. 22, 2018. Some of the design elements in the concourse are nearing completion. Photo By Steve Griffin, Deseret News

The baggage system tunnel in what will be the Salt Lake City International Airport's new Concourse A is pictured during a tour of the new airport on Monday, Oct. 22, 2018. Photo By Steve Griffin, Deseret News

An elevated roadway under construction at the Salt Lake City International Airport is pictured from inside the current short-term parking structure on Monday, Oct. 22, 2018. Photo By Steve Griffin, Deseret News

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 3:10 PM
SLC Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah_Dave View Post
They are attempting a rezone of that entire Block 67 to D1 from D4 to allow more height. We all need to show up once it hits the agenda and voice our support.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 3:14 PM
SLC Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
If they are at 100% Design Development, they probably have 6 months more for Construction Documents. Though, they could be permitting the foundation and core work prior to finishing the rest of the documents, which I assume is very likely. Given the client, and the progress they are making, I think we will be seeing excavation starting sometime early next year.

I really like what they did at the top by adding that curvature, and the extra height. Just think if they would have lopped off another bay and just added that extra floor space on top, we could have had a tower close to 450 feet tall. We need something taller in the city to show SLC is not just a small town.
Is the footing already buried for Tower 8? I thought one of the CC tower sites already had a base and footing. If so, the project could move much faster. Could be wrong on this.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 3:23 PM

There is a fair to decent chance that the City Council will allow a 40+ story tower on the RWP location.

First, we need to remember that the SE corner of 2nd South and 2nd West is zoned for D1 (SE diagonal from the location). So it isn't too far away from a D1 zone.

Second, the Developer is currently seeking a D1 Zone update for that corner area as opposed to the D4 375' overlay that the Planning Commission recommended. At the time, the developer had stated they could accept the D4 overlay but the Planning Commission also wanted additional setbacks which to make the project pencil out would require additional heights above 375' making the D1 zoning update the only update that would work for the project.

Lastly, during the last City Council work session, in discussion regarding the Henry's Redevelopment project along 900s and the developers request for a rezone of the western parcel, the City Council as a whole all made comments regarding the need for additional heights throughout the city above current zoning. One member stated something along the lines of "we are a living and growing city". I do think it is very possible that the City Council would agree to increase the zoning, especially in the RWP corner, for the project as they do see that the City is growing and they would like to see it grow up.

Just an additional comment, it was nice watching the discussion on the project as every single council member was not just accepting of increased density and height but actually encouraging it. This was the same with regards to "The Exchange" in how the City Council was sad that the developer isn't able to build higher and they had to go through a CBDR for a slight increase already.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvland View Post
Is the footing already buried for Tower 8? I thought one of the CC tower sites already had a base and footing. If so, the project could move much faster. Could be wrong on this.
The footings for Tower 8 haven't been done yet. The Cascade is the only building that has any work done but has not yet been completed yet.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 3:31 PM
SLC Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
The footings for Tower 8 haven't been done yet. The Cascade is the only building that has any work done but has not yet been completed yet.
Ah yes The Cascade thanks for the clarity.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 3:35 PM
SLC Lifer

UTA Depot District Clean Fuels Technology Center

It's hard to overstate how important this project is for the Depot/Station Center District: https://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=10...mer-train-spot. This project effectively serves as the entrance to downtown from I-15.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 4:39 PM

Quote:
There is a fair to decent chance that the City Council will allow a 40+ story tower on the RWP location.

First, we need to remember that the SE corner of 2nd South and 2nd West is zoned for D1 (SE diagonal from the location). So it isn't too far away from a D1 zone.

Second, the Developer is currently seeking a D1 Zone update for that corner area as opposed to the D4 375' overlay that the Planning Commission recommended. At the time, the developer had stated they could accept the D4 overlay but the Planning Commission also wanted additional setbacks which to make the project pencil out would require additional heights above 375' making the D1 zoning update the only update that would work for the project.

Lastly, during the last City Council work session, in discussion regarding the Henry's Redevelopment project along 900s and the developers request for a rezone of the western parcel, the City Council as a whole all made comments regarding the need for additional heights throughout the city above current zoning. One member stated something along the lines of "we are a living and growing city". I do think it is very possible that the City Council would agree to increase the zoning, especially in the RWP corner, for the project as they do see that the City is growing and they would like to see it grow up.

Just an additional comment, it was nice watching the discussion on the project as every single council member was not just accepting of increased density and height but actually encouraging it. This was the same with regards to "The Exchange" in how the City Council was sad that the developer isn't able to build higher and they had to go through a CBDR for a slight increase already.
Thanks for that post Makid. Very encouraging. Once the glass ceiling is broken on height, no doubt more will follow.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 4:17 AM

Quote:

Whether or not the City will agree with the developer, a 40-story tower (assuming 440' tall hotel/residential tower) would stick out like sore thumb over there. I think it would be more fitting over on Arrow Press Square.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West