HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup

Old Posted Aug 18, 2009, 5:57 PM

Anthony those models are just excellent! I actually collect herpa 1:500 airliners but have not gathered time/strenght to build them an airport in my desk - so you can see how excited I am about this.

what are you using to make those shapes? I've been trying designing ships with moderate success (should begin a thread soon) after I learnt how to use that German tensile structures plugin I needed for the hulls.

My ovations!

Matt

Old Posted Aug 19, 2009, 12:26 PM
Dare Mighty Things

Thank you everyone!!! I can't tell you how much I really appreciate the feedback!

I wish I could tell you all the methods to building airplanes, but there are a couple of reasons why I sort of can't...

1) The process, while relatively easy, is extraordinarily complicated, and I can't even begin to imagine how many steps there would be in a tutorial. The Airbus model that you see was about 12 hours worth of work to build and about 1-2 hours to texture. I have no problem doing that, because it's my passion to do it, but as far as explaining it to other people, I wouldn't even know where to begin.

2) A lot of it almost requires a sort of ingrained thorough knowledge of extremely meticulous details regarding airline's fleets. I've done US Airways and Northwest (and I've also done Frontier, which I'll show you guys later on today when I get the models rendered); namely because of the engines they use. United, JetBlue, Spirit, and many other carriers haven't been done yet simply because they have a different engine, which I'll model here in the near future. Part of knowing these details, as well as knowing what kind of aircraft each airline operates has really helped out, and I'm not sure how much easier or harder it would be if I wasn't completely obsessed with aviation.

3) In a lot of ways, I know it's irrational, but I'm kind of paranoid that if I did reveal how I built those aircraft, I'd be the magician who does the magic trick and then tells the audience how he did it. I don't think there have ever been many famous magicians who did that. Posting this idea on this and other forums, I have a gut feeling that someone is following me and trying to take this idea before I do, and if I gave away this method, it would completely give my competitive advantage away.

So my apologies for the secrecy, if I didn't intend on using this as a small source of income, and if I didn't have this one guy posting on other forums who I swear is trying to beat me to this idea once I brought it up, then I'd be happy to share with you guys, but for the time being, I'm simply too paranoid.

Quote:
Damn... You're killin it Boise. Those models are so well made, they almost look like real pictures. How do you get the textures to fit right? I mean, all the edges are curves, then the curve curve's around or get bigger or small as it gets longer.

I've never been able to place textures on round edges for some reason.

Also, maybe it's also good to make some 747's and A380's, those airplanes are less in demand maybe but I bet some people who have never seen them or are trying to get renderers/modelers will be interested.
Thank you Aleks! Coming from a great SU modeler such as yourself, I really appreciate your feedback! You know, I've never been good at placing textures on round edges either, so I'll give you a hint and say that maybe there's a bit more to it than that.

Good points. Considering the feedback here, I think I'll probably have the 747 and A380 by the time I officially launch the website.

Quote:
Anthony those models are just excellent! I actually collect herpa 1:500 airliners but have not gathered time/strenght to build them an airport in my desk - so you can see how excited I am about this.
Thank you Matt, I'm happy to hear that you're excited about this. Trust me, when all's said and done (which knowing me, things are never quite finally finished ) I hope to knock everyone's socks off and declare my aircraft library to be my crowning achievement in 3D modeling. And most of all, I simply want to give an alternative to the 1:500/1:400 physical model airports, which can be really expensive to build. Great to hear you feedback, mucho appreciated!

Quote:
Ok you definatly know what your doing. BTW if you ever need livery templates for southwest specialty planes I have plenty, lol.
Thank you, Austin! Haha, I probably won't need anything with Southwest until I build the 737, but I'll definately keep that in mind. Maybe I'll do a fictional livery package at some point.

Quote:
first Wow ! It is a good feeling to know that SU is really only limited by time and imagination.

But NO don't sell them cheap ! , why do you want to sell something cheap when you simply don't have to ?

You only get a certain amount of chances in life to succeed, so you have to take every one.
Sell them for what they are worth !
Wow, what a compliment! Thank you so much Mocholate! Haha, a problem I have is that I have trouble myself determining their worth. On the one hand, I think my models do exceed the quality of other models I've seen that go for hundreds of dollars, but on the other hand, those other models were built using 3D max and other modeling software more professional than Google Sketchup. So there's a lot I still need to figure out before I can sell anything. But man, I really appreciate your feedback, thank you!

Old Posted Aug 19, 2009, 12:43 PM

Ok, since you're so hot on Airbus, I dare you to make me a Beluga, preferrably converted into a passenger craft maybe under the Virgin flag.

You do American, Canadian, European and Brazilian airplanes. Have you ever thought of making a Volga Dnepr An-124 or a more simple Tupolev?

Regarding your 12hr work: it's a blessing. See: Flow (Cognitive Psychology)

Old Posted Aug 19, 2009, 9:59 PM

they are really good quality,do the wheels and jet engines have
good detail.think if you had a tranparent glass on the cockpit windows
they would look better...but most excellent overall mr.

btw had a look at airplane models on tubosquid.extreme detail but
some are 200 to 400 dollars.worth looking at if you intend to advance.

Last edited by toyota74; Aug 19, 2009 at 10:13 PM.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2010, 11:11 PM
Dare Mighty Things

So I wanted to give an update...

NEW COMPUTER!!!!!! FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For christmas, I invested $2,000 into the newest and best computer parts I could find, with the help of my Dad, and I got all the parts and built it myself. And now everything is smooth as glass. Everything that would immediately crash Sketchup on my laptop works like a dream on this new computer. I haven't gotten Sketchup to run rough or non-smooth no matter how far I've pushed it. It's literally what I've dreamed of this whole last year, and it works perfectly!!

And just as I'd imagined...updates are indeed coming fast and furious!

I'll post renders here shortly, but here is the list of official aircraft I would consider selling. Most of these were built within the last week.

A320 fleet:

America West (pre-merger livery)
JetBlue (4 different tails)
Northwest (o/c)
Northwest (n/c) - under construction
United Airlines (o/c)
United Airlines (n/c) - under construction
US Airways (n/c)
US Airways (o/c)

A319 fleet:

America West (pre-merger livery)
Frontier Airlines (14 different tails)
Northwest (o/c)
Northwest (n/c)
United Airlines (o/c)
US Airways (o/c)
US Airways (n/c)

And all I have to finish is:

Air Canada
Air Jamaica
Canadian Airlines
CanJet
Delta Air Lines (n/c)
Mexicana
Midway Airlines
Spirit Airlines
USA 3000
Virgin America

And I'll be pretty much done with the North America Airbus A320/A319 fleet! (unless I'm forgetting something...)

Old Posted Jan 5, 2010, 11:48 AM
Closed account

So does this mean more updates for Peirpoint?

I can't wait!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup