HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Apr 4, 2015, 2:20 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

50 Beechwood Ave [Metro] | ? m | 1 fl | U/C

The Owner (Joanisse Limited) wants to construct a 19.8 m x 39.8 m, one-storey addition to the west and north sides of the existing Metro grocery store. The proposal would include a new canopy and re-faced front entrance, all as shown on plans filed with the Committee.

Committee of Adjustment application:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7z...ybUdhTTZR/view

Aerial view:
http://binged.it/19RGL4o

Old Posted Apr 4, 2015, 2:20 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Beechwood Metro Plans Sizeable Addition

By Jane Heintzman
New Edinburgh News, April 2015

Our Metro grocery store at 50 Beechwood Ave. is moving ahead with plans for a sizeable addition to the building’s west side. The Site Plan Control Proposal for the project (summarized in a City of Ottawa notice posted on the property) was approved by the City’s Planning and Growth Management Department in early March, and is scheduled for consideration by the Committee of Adjustment in mid-April.

Key elements of the coming Metro rejuvenation will include:

• An 871 sq. m. addition to the west side of the existing building, essentially covering the section of parking area on the right as you enter the lot from Beechwood;
• Below grade parking under the new addition to replace the spaces eliminated by the construction (it’s not yet clear whether any additional spaces will be created);
• Enhanced pedestrian and cycling connections to the site;
• Additional landscaping; and
• Increased accessibility throughout the site.

There will be no increase in the height of the new building.

City planner Amanda Marsh advises that once the project has received approval for minor relief from two by-laws related to the site’s Traditional Mainstreet zoning, the next step will be submission of a revised site plan. It could be several months before final approvals are secured. So far, there are no details on a target date for the start of construction.

Owing to clear instructions from head office, our local Metro management couldn’t speak about a possible tandem makeover within the store. However, a recent Globe and Mail article entitled “Metro’s Makeover” (Thursday, March 26, 2015), reported that the Metro chain has launched a major push to capture a bigger share of the upscale urban market, largely by increasing its emphasis on fresh foods. A new prototype store was just launched in Toronto’s west lakeshore area, and over the next three to five years, the company is expected to upgrade most of its 137 stores throughout Ontario. Stay tuned for more details on the latest big change coming to Beechwood.

http://www.newedinburgh.ca/sites/def..._web-small.pdf

Old Posted Apr 4, 2015, 2:23 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Fresh organic foods shaping Metro supermarket makeover

MARINA STRAUSS - RETAILING REPORTER
The Globe and Mail
Published Wednesday, Mar. 25 2015, 7:03 PM EDT
Last updated Thursday, Mar. 26 2015, 6:48 AM EDT

A slice of foodie culture has arrived at Metro Inc.’s newest supermarket, which features a lush wall of veggies, dozens of exotic cheeses, a slow-cooking rotisserie, a sushi bar and organic offerings.

Think Mimolette D’Isigny cheese from France for $99.99 a kilogram.

It’s Metro’s version of the gentrified grocery store, a bid to tempt urban consumers and boost business by focusing on a smorgasbord of fresh foods – with some higher prices and fatter profit margins – even as shoppers are courted by a growing array of discount retail options.

Masterminding the Metro makeover is Carmen Fortino, a former executive at arch rival Loblaw Cos. Ltd. whose heritage is the Fortinos supermarket chain that bears his family’s name and was bought by Loblaw in 1988.

Now Mr. Fortino, a second generation member of Fortinos founding family, is fighting the grocery wars from the other side of the battle field.

“It’s intensely competitive, that’s what makes it fun,” Mr. Fortino said in an interview on the eve of Thursday’s launch of the new Metro prototype store surrounded by condominiums in Toronto’s west Lakeshore area. Over the next three to five years, the company will update most of its 137 Ontario Metro stores with an emphasis on fresh foods, he said.

Mr. Fortino, who started six months ago as head of Metro’s Ontario division, needs to win. Metro’s Ontario business underperforms operations in its home province of Quebec.

Metro is now betting on Mr. Fortino and his deep experience at Loblaw, including the fresh-food strength of its Fortinos, to give Metro a boost.

“Carmen is a veteran of that market and understands the dynamics of it and what needs to be done,” said Peter Chapman, president of grocery consultancy GPS Business Solutions and a former Loblaw executive.

But Loblaw and Sobeys Inc. are both focusing on improving their fresh premium offerings as well, making the mainstream market a crowded one, Mr. Chapman said. Upscale U.S.-based Whole Foods Market also has an ambitious expansion plan for this country. And the Weston family that controls Loblaw is believed to have the licence to operate the Italy-based food emporium Eataly in Canada and is looking for sites. (An Eataly spokeswoman said Canada is “of interest” but “no decisions have been made yet.”)

“For sure foodies are a big part of what we’re trying to attract to these stores,” said Jason Potter, who heads a division of Sobeys that is rolling out its next-generation Sobeys Extra format, which also touts more fresh and healthy offerings.

At the same time, the estimated $121.2-billion-a-year grocery market has been shifting to discount formats, including titan Wal-Mart Canada’s added food aisles. In the 52 weeks ended Dec. 27, the share of the industry’s discount segment rose 4 per cent to 40.5 per cent per cent from a year earlier, while the conventional market dropped 1 per cent to 59.5 per cent, according to researcher Nielsen.

But the tide is beginning to turn as retailers invest in premium flagship stores, said Carman Allison, a Nielsen vice-president. They’re being dubbed “grocerants” for taking on restaurants with ready-to-eat fare whose sales jumped 9 per cent in 2014 from a year earlier, he said.

Metro doesn’t break out its Ontario and Quebec results, but its overall same-store sales are improving from the tough days in 2013 and 2014 when U.S. discounter Target Corp. was expanding in Canada. Those sales at outlets open a year or more, an important retail measure, grew 3.8 per cent in Metro’s last quarter, mostly driven by inflation.

Retail analyst Perry Caicco at CIBC World Markets called out Metro’s Ontario operations as “a serious problem” late last year, noting it probably makes “very little actual operating profit,” excluding funds it gets from suppliers for prominent shelf space and other initiatives.

More recently, with Target’s impending exit, Mr. Caicco has struck a brighter tone: “Their Ontario stores seemed in need of a massive refresh, but just by waiting out the terrible 2013-2014 grocery market, the stores are now poised for solid same-store sales growth.”

Mr. Fortino, whose first job as a teenager was stocking shelves part-time at Fortinos, is catering in the new Metro store to condo-dwelling young professionals with disposable incomes to splurge on fresh and take-out food. The uncluttered look of the store is also a departure, with brushed concrete floors, stainless steel accents and dark-wood produce tables. Another new element is a Starbucks café, underscoring the upmarket environment. And to drive home the community flavour, it has put Humber Bay Park on the store sign.

The new store devotes 60 per cent of its space to fresh foods, including prepared fare, compared with 40 per cent in regular Metro stores, Mr. Fortino said. For instance, it carries 63 varieties of chilled dips, about twice the number at a standard Metro.

But the new store stocks fewer large family packs because local condo residents have little storage space, he said.

Fresh food is important because it can generate up to 20 per cent higher gross margins than packaged goods, he said. But it can spoil more quickly and need to be tossed, as well as require more labour to handle the goods.

Metro is spending $300-million overall on its stores in 2015, much of it to upgrade conventional stores. That’s up from $250-million last year when investments were more heavily directed to improving the retailer’s Food Basics discount outlets.

Already elements of the new offerings are in various Metro stores, he said. “You’ve got to be awake in this business, otherwise you’re not going to be around,” Mr. Fortino said. “We’re not afraid to invest. We just want to do it properly. … We’re going to go as fast as we can.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle23622635/

Old Posted Feb 2, 2017, 6:10 AM

looks like they are starting a renovation..not too sure if it would be as extensive as mentioned in the past, but that would be most welcomed.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2017, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poptronic View Post
looks like they are starting a renovation..not too sure if it would be as extensive as mentioned in the past, but that would be most welcomed.
I used to live near here and rarely shopped there. It has the horrible combination of high prices and poor quality/selection. Not sure how much an expansion will help. I guess a lot of their customers are captive. The best supermarket in central Ottawa is probably the nearby Loblaws on Vanier.

I am surprised they would spend money on an expansion. Is this not a potential development site. It is a nice piece of land, good location and with the condos across the street seems like some decent height should be possible.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2017, 2:48 PM

Will this mean you'll be able to buy booze on Beechwood?

Old Posted Feb 2, 2017, 3:11 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
Will this mean you'll be able to buy booze on Beechwood?
I can't believe you can't.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2017, 3:19 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
I used to live near here and rarely shopped there. It has the horrible combination of high prices and poor quality/selection. Not sure how much an expansion will help. I guess a lot of their customers are captive. The best supermarket in central Ottawa is probably the nearby Loblaws on Vanier.

I am surprised they would spend money on an expansion. Is this not a potential development site. It is a nice piece of land, good location and with the condos across the street seems like some decent height should be possible.
I always heard that this was one of the chic-est supermarkets (it was an IGA and a Loeb before I think, but always owned by the same family) in Ottawa due to the proximity of posh New Edinburghers and Rockcliffe-ians.

That said, I have only been in there a half-dozen times in my entire life, and I didn't find it stood out as a high-end grocery store.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2017, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I can't believe you can't.
Welcome to Puritan Ottawa, Puritan Ontario.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 10:28 PM

Has anyone seen confirmation that the block on Beechwood where the Metro is located has been put up for sale?

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 5:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Has anyone seen confirmation that the block on Beechwood where the Metro is located has been put up for sale?
Huge opportunity to fill up the surface parking lot

https://www.collierscanada.com/en-ca...ada/can2008364

Last edited by rocketphish; Dec 2, 2021 at 6:08 PM. Reason: Resized the humongous image

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 6:08 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbOttawa View Post
Huge opportunity to fill up the surface parking lot

https://www.collierscanada.com/en-ca...ada/can2008364
More details:

https://listingsprod.blob.core.windo...0-cb9272f5f5e0

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 8:18 PM

It would be nice to see that parking lot on Beechwood gone, but, yikes, one can only hope that any eventual proposal sees a "massing diet" compared to what is shown.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
It would be nice to see that parking lot on Beechwood gone, but, yikes, one can only hope that any eventual proposal sees a "massing diet" compared to what is shown.
Agreed. Really needs to step-down as it goes towards Loyer.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2022, 1:00 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Metro Beechwood is here to stay

By Karen Squires,
New Edinburgh News | February 2022

Metro Inc. purchased the land occupied by its grocery store on Beechwood Avenue back in December. This investment in our community is good news, showing the confidence Canada’s third-largest food retailer has in the Beechwood Village area.

There had been much speculation and concern in the community about what would happen to our beloved Beechwood Metro, which many of us have come to rely upon. When news hit in early December that the land was up for sale, many patrons wondered what the future might hold. What would happen should this location be purchased by a developer and how might this disrupt our shopping experience? We’ve all enjoyed being able to walk or drive easily to Metro, right in the heart of our community, as this is what makes a community thrive!

Metro store manager Shawn Steinburg has confirmed to the New Edinburgh News that while Metro has purchased the 2.32 acre property on Beechwood Avenue between Charlevoix and Loyer Streets, the company will not be pursuing any rezoning of the property. Metro does own other locations in both Ontario and Quebec, and since this location came up for sale, they felt this was a good asset for the company to own. As of mid-January, Shawn has confirmed there are no other plans relating to the store footprint or changes to existing inventory. Of note, the lot in question does not include the gas station on the corner of Beechwood and Charlevoix.

Metro renovated the store interior extensively in 2017. Shawn explained, “through that renovation, we added a wide variety of equipment and design elements to expand some of our programs and further enhance the customer shopping experience.” I personally have certainly noticed these enhancements, which made a huge difference to the overall shopping experience and improved the layout and presentation of products.

In hindsight, thank goodness this was all done before the pandemic, which might have delayed the entire renovation process.

Shawn added, “Like everyone, we have found the past two years extremely challenging at times. My team and I have worked hard to ensure our customers felt safe and comfortable. Even as various restrictions have ebbed and flowed, we wanted our customers to still enjoy their shopping experience at Metro, just as before the pandemic.” Shawn also noted: “we wanted customers to feel they could count on Metro to be there through it all, as a reliable and trustworthy business in the community that would meet their grocery needs.”

From a health and safety perspective, Shawn says, “As hard as it has been to work on the front lines, to adapt quickly and to pivot on a dime during this pandemic, my staff and I are touched by and extremely grateful for how supportive and understanding our customers have been during these difficult times.”

I think I can speak for many that we are also extremely grateful to have Metro planted firmly on Beechwood Avenue, right in the heart of multiple communities. We are also grateful that Shawn and the team have worked long hours to ensure our grocery needs are met, while keeping everyone safe. Special thanks to the team at Metro Beechwood: we breathe a sigh of relief to know they will continue to be there longterm!

Karen Squires is a member of the board of the New Edinburgh Community Alliance.

https://www.newedinburgh.ca/wp-conte...uary-WEBv2.pdf

Old Posted Feb 11, 2022, 5:45 PM

While that's definitely good news for the neighbourhood that metro plans to stay, I was really hoping that they were going to mention something about developing the parking lot fronting beechwood. Any infill in the red or blue parcels would go a long way and metro would still have plenty of parking to the west.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2022, 6:02 PM
ハルウララ

That parking lot is a nightmare for both motorists and pedestrians. Would be great if the red parcel could be developed.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2022, 7:07 PM

Hope Metro can purchase the gas station at some point and include it in redevelopment of the parking lots. I would much prefer 3 or 4 buildings to another block-buster.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2022, 12:40 AM

I wonder what could even go in place of the red block with the loading bay on the east side. The blue block may be more feasible but the parking lot is almost always packed so I don't know where the overflow may end up. As a beechwood resident I find the lot inoffensive for the most part so I don't mind it staying.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa