HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

3 Hudson Boulevard in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 22, 2017, 4:38 AM

Subway construction is almost completed.Green tent and noisy generators are gone... but so is construction equipment. I hope the tower is not on hold.

Old Posted May 22, 2017, 1:38 PM
New Yorker for life

It's not on hold, but they aren't going to build without signing a tenant first.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 22, 2017, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
It's not on hold, but they aren't going to build without signing a tenant first.
So its on hold until they find a tenant?

Old Posted May 22, 2017, 9:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:
That's what, "on hold" means..

Old Posted May 22, 2017, 10:31 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

^^^^

Thier building the foundation as they are confident they will land a tenant. I think thats what he meant. So, foundation first, if by the completion of the foundation, they don't get a tenant, than it will be on hold unless the developer takes the risk and builds it anyway due to their optimism. But they are confident of snatching one soon.

Old Posted May 22, 2017, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
^^^^

Thier building the foundation as they are confident they will land a tenant.
Their are not building foundation, at least not at this time. Check my last photo, all construction equipment was removed from the site, hopefully it will come back.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 3:41 PM

height-troll confirmed.

http://www.fxfowle.com/projects/51/3-hudson-boulevard/

Quote:
The tower is crowned by a 300-foot spire and a rooftop terrace sheltered by glass windscreens.
at least this should be a solid supertall minus the spire either way.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 4:36 PM
DENNAB

Not another spire... NY has enough of those. It doesn't work with the building too well I don't think.

Oh well :\

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 4:58 PM

Wait, this tower now has a 300-ft spire? It's now 1,350 ft.?

Do we have updated renderings?

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 5:27 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Not another spire... NY has enough of those. It doesn't work with the building too well I don't think.

New York doesn't have enough spires. Just not enough spires in the right locations. Central Park Tower could use this 300 ft spire. This tower doesn't need it, as is. If it were designed to better incorporate the spire, then it would be more welcome, as there will be so many surrounding 1,000 ft towers, giving the area flatlined skyline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post

Do we have updated renderings?
So far just the render that was posted earlier...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 7:49 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post

I agree and wish they weren't officially part of height. One WTC's "spire" is the height of ugliness, though others do look very cool. This one is so much like Wilshire Grand's in LA, just there to grab a phony (though recognized) stastic.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 8:11 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
New York doesn't have enough spires. Just not enough spires in the right locations. Central Park Tower could use this 300 ft spire. This tower doesn't need it, as is. If it were designed to better incorporate the spire, then it would be more welcome, as there will be so many surrounding 1,000 ft towers, giving the area flatlined skyline.
I'd much rather see a spire on the Central Park Tower than this one, but yea, since none of the other towers in the complex have spires it may not be *so* bad. Although it's more of the fact that it doesn't work with the building, at least I don't think it does, it's almost as tacky as if the NY Times Tower were to have an off center spire.

At the end of the day though that rooftop terrace 1000+ feet off the ground is going to be just awesome.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 11:59 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

This one pulls a spire well though. See the thing with adding one is how well its incorporated. If its added without any real plan, it can be a disaster. For a spire to work, the rest of the tower has to match it, and an effective building IMO via its design gets the eye moving from bottom to top, without a hiccup or ugh moment. Spire girth is also important along with the color. If done right, its wickedly nice.

This reminds me of BOA a bit. That tower works very well with a spire, whereas 5 Beekman (with its 4 pvc pipe spires) and NY Times (with its syringe) look like rubbish. I could go on with examples that are good. IMO, one of the best is the John Hancock. That's how you do a spire, or even the Sears tower. The gold standard with regards to spires/antennas. THe only sacrilege is that they don't really count towards the height, which on those two, is bs... because its should.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 12:21 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Yeah essentially. Tallest one in Hudson Yards. Yet at 1,350 ft, if built now along with current u/c, I'd be the 5th tallest. 6th tallest if 80 South Rises or 7th tallest if 666 5th rises.

Unless some more towers come, by 2020, it will be either in the top 5 or top 7th position.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 3:42 AM
New Yorker for life

Time for 30 Hudon to pull out a 1 Vandy type spire, pushing it to 1400 ft. (I don't think that would look right though). I still expect SHoP's design for the $3 Billion 360 10th Ave will be taller than any of them, but that's some time off.

Maybe this will push Barnett into the spire game.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 4:57 AM

Quote:

Maybe this will push Barnett into the spire game.
That's what I'm hoping...

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 12:32 PM

With the changes in design, ironically the spire has become the best part of the building. The tower portion seems to have gotten more boring and unoriginal. Like a NY Times building knockoff gone badly.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 1:58 PM
New Yorker for life

Not sure if the 300 ft is above the parapet height, but it would make the tower at least 1,300 ft or more.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 9:17 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
With the changes in design, ironically the spire has become the best part of the building. The tower portion seems to have gotten more boring and unoriginal. Like a NY Times building knockoff gone badly.
It may be more boring now, but at least it fits in better with the complex. The old design was frankly awkward from the Hudson view and ill fitting a city like NY. Looked like a tower more suited to Dubai or Miami. By that I mean it was tacky and gimmicky. Original doesn't always mean better.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 10:33 PM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

I'm kinda disappointed in this render.

If in fact it has lost its twistiness (it's hard to say without an east-facing view), the uniqueness factor takes a hit. In fact, it *does* look right now like NYT's slouchy, off-centered big brother.

Spire or no spire, it just seems as if the architects got cold feet when tasked to make a version of the the en vogue twist motif sufficiently palatable for NYC architecture buffs.

A rendering of the tower from the "(Geological) Long Island side"...or even a "top-down/footprint/bird's-eye view" illustration might prove my observations invalid.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction