HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 3:50 PM
BANNED

....Moving on....

Bid docs are out for a new, ground-up Walgreens slated for the South side, at 1410 W 79th. Here's why it's worth reporting: it's only 2400 sq feet. A "small-format retail store". Interesting new business model to account for Amazon's gutting of Retail. I'm curious as to what goods this store will be carrying.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
....Moving on....

Bid docs are out for a new, ground-up Walgreens slated for the South side, at 1410 W 79th. Here's why it's worth reporting: it's only 2400 sq feet. A "small-format retail store". Interesting new business model to account for Amazon's gutting of Retail. I'm curious as to what goods this store will be carrying.
Interesting. Like a 7/11 Walgreens

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 7:09 PM

Even with overnight delivery, Amazon can't do everything. People need stuff immediately at times.

Toilet paper, diapers, band-aids. Tums, advil, cold medicine, batteries. You get the idea. All that stuff.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
Even with overnight delivery, Amazon can't do everything. People need stuff immediately at times.

Toilet paper, diapers, band-aids. Tums, advil, cold medicine, batteries. You get the idea. All that stuff.
They also have 1-2 hour delivery for key items
I don't use it, but it's there.
I try not to use Amazon but it's far too convenient and usually cheaper. Maybe if we had a carbon tax or tolled interstates, long-distance shipping wouldn't be as cheap and then local players would have a natural advantage.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronvonellis View Post
I think America is just way over retailed. We have giant Target stores in every neighborhood and giant suburban malls. We can't decide what we want, if we want small local retail we can't also have huge Targets, and malls all over as well.

In Europe, they use old small retail spaces just fine. But they don't have Targets, Wal-Marts, and malls all over the place, so they have to shop at small retail spaces on city streets.
I'd be curious to know why Europeans aren't shifting to online shopping (maybe they are).... whether it's cultural preference or economics driving that decision.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 7:45 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
....Moving on....

This is puzzling, there's already a full-size Walgreens 2 blocks east at 79th/Racine. I doubt they would put another store so close to an existing one, unless there's a special circumstance here. Could it be their existing store is too large for the demand and too expensive to operate?

Generally, I feel like the current pattern of Walgreens and CVS on prime corners every 1-2 miles or so is really too far apart to be pedestrian friendly, even on the North Side where they are (relatively) close together. If they expand this new format further, it suggests they are willing to consider smaller stores that aren't on prime corners, which means they could reach a point where they are far more closely-spaced and easy to reach on foot... not quite as convenient as the NYC bodega, but certainly closer to that model.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 8:45 PM

Construction barricades/scaffolding going up at 160 Morgan.

SB has had a couple different proposals here, but I think this lower rise one is the most recent:

Geographically related… the Google Cloud sign is new

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 9:05 PM

(Possible) site prep for office buildings along Franklin:

See here: https://www.rejournals.com/first-loo...ments-20190807

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 4:14 AM
Chicago

1001 W Fulton Market

January 6, 2020

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 4:15 AM
Chicago

318 N Carpenter

January 6, 2020

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 4:32 AM
THAT Guy

Quote:
....Moving on....

They're trying all sorts of formats. I think the small format store is mostly just a pharmacy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc5680 View Post
Construction barricades/scaffolding going up at 160 Morgan.
I thought this was going to be a residential tower?

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 4:54 AM
THAT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but there's a proposal by Cedar St. to build another FLATS building on an oddly shaped lot between Racine and Blue Island, 14th and 15th St. 7 stories, 197 apartments, some retail. Hartshorne Plunkard Architects.

JV to Build Luxury Project in Chicago Opportunity Zone

...The project is located at 1461 S. Blue Island, just three block north of Pilsen and on the southern edge of the University Village/Little Italy neighborhood. Apartments at the community will be a mix of studio, one- and two-bedroom units that will average 616 square feet in size. Seven units at the building will be designated affordable. Amenities at the property will include an 8,500-square-foot amenity deck, a resident lounge, fitness center, 131 parking spaces and about 7,600 square feet of ground floor retail space.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 5:07 AM

Quote:
I thought this was going to be a residential tower?
I have no idea. I posted the soil testing rig here way back in 2017 and could only find a Craig’s article that mentioned SB was planning residential. Then there were a couple replies saying it was the 3 story retail. That retail building has been scrubbed from SB’s site though. There is a page still for the address but it is just blank.

Maybe they are back to residential?

previously:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ithakas View Post
Yeah, I remember that Crain's article – didn't they announce like 8 Sterling Bay projects in that article or something insane? – I believe Spyguy posted this rendering for the site more recently though.

Source: Spyguy

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 1:59 PM
BANNED

Quote:
This is absolutely great news. I've been excited to see the Opportunity Zone incentive program come to fruition. Glad to see it's having its desired effect here in Chicago.

I recommend reading into it, to those interested. Link below:

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/opportu...sked-questions

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jan 10, 2020 at 4:04 PM.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 2:43 PM

Quote:

JV to Build Luxury Project in Chicago Opportunity Zone

...The project is located at 1461 S. Blue Island, just three block north of Pilsen and on the southern edge of the University Village/Little Italy neighborhood. Apartments at the community will be a mix of studio, one- and two-bedroom units that will average 616 square feet in size. Seven units at the building will be designated affordable. Amenities at the property will include an 8,500-square-foot amenity deck, a resident lounge, fitness center, 131 parking spaces and about 7,600 square feet of ground floor retail space.
This project at 1461 S. Blue Island received a full building permit on 12/16/19. I would not be surprised if there equipment all over the site right now.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 2:57 PM

^ The Crains article on the property from yesterday says they already broke ground

Quote:
Developer scores tax-break funds for apartments near Pilsen
The 202-unit Pilsen Gateway, which has broken ground, is one of the few opportunity zone projects underway in Chicago, and possibly the biggest

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 3:34 PM

Whatever happened to that other residential tower that was supposed to be built on taylor on i think it was Damen.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 4:01 PM

Quote:
This is absolutely great news. I've been excited to see the Opportunity Zone incentive program come to fruition. Glad to see it's having its desired effect here in Chicago.

I recommend reading into it, to those interested. Link below:

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/opportu...sked-questions
Do you consider that parcel to be in an "economically-distressed community"?

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 4:15 PM
BANNED

^Are you complaining? It's a vacant lot on the near-south side, and about a mile from Douglas Park. The investment would absolutely be good for the area. Kudos to Cedar Street Co.

Last edited by Skyguy_7; Jan 10, 2020 at 5:31 PM.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc5680 View Post
^ The Crains article on the property from yesterday says they already broke ground
They got a foundation permit at least a few months ago. I have a few friends who live right in this area and indicated that they had broken ground at least a few months ago on this.

As usual, we've known about this building for a few months. Good to finally see a rendering.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development