HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

3 Hudson Boulevard in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 5:51 PM
New Yorker for life

The spire itself isn't bad. The building is still proving to be fat. Hard to say for sure with the contorted rendering angles.

Renders from the previous page...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Sep 13, 2017 at 6:12 PM.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 6:19 PM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

The image looks deliberately engineered that way which seems to explain why 55H looks so incredibly squat.

While NYT comparisons have been insinuated, I hafta say this looks more like a cubist version of BofA.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 6:44 PM

That is a beast spire.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 10:03 PM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

By the bye..........and I just realized this.........

........Anyone else besides me noticing the brilliantly understated setbacks in pics 2 and 3?

Took me a while.

Edit: Matter of fact, look at pic 2. Notice carefully at the left a similar setback motif and corner curve.

So what we're seing here is IMO is not just an ordinary single torque.

It's as if there're multiple torques accomodating the angles of the setback points.

Last edited by Prezrezc; Sep 13, 2017 at 10:39 PM.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 11:06 PM

Getting a Wilshire Grand vibe from this one.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 11:55 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prezrezc View Post

........Anyone else besides me noticing the brilliantly understated setbacks in pics 2 and 3?

Took me a while.

Edit: Matter of fact, look at pic 2. Notice carefully at the left a similar setback motif and corner curve.

So what we're seing here is IMO is not just an ordinary single torque.

It's as if there're multiple torques accomodating the angles of the setback points.
From FXfowle porfolio section regarding 3 Hudson:

Quote:
3 Hudson Boulevard is a 1,000-foot tower with a statuesque form. Sited on Manhattan's West Side in Hudson Yards, the tower's twisting and tapered form transitions from the urban grid to true north-south orientation to capture optimal solar exposure. With a five-story podium and retail at street level, the tower features Class A office space, terraces, integrated sky-gardens, and views of the Hudson River, Hudson River Park, and the High Line.
Credit: .fxfowle.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 12:55 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:

The setbacks are the first thing I noticed in the newer rendering. It's why I was looking for more of a taper than some of the renders suggest. But it's the best part of the building I believe. The spire is substantial.

https://www.6sqft.com/new-renderings...00-foot-spire/

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 1:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
The spire itself isn't bad. The building is still proving to be fat. Hard to say for sure with the contorted rendering angles.

Renders from the previous page...

Looks like someone didn't have the budget for a heli shoot, photoshopped night windows on a google 3D model and slapped a blurred photo of the harbor -
looking south from downtown Manhattan behind it as a background...quality stuff.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 2:24 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalscarr View Post
Looks like someone didn't have the budget for a heli shoot, photoshopped night windows on a google 3D model and slapped a blurred photo of the harbor -
looking south from downtown Manhattan behind it as a background...quality stuff.
I've looked at a lot of renders, and generally if you've seen a lot, you notice a lot of stuff isn't accurate. No, this tower won't be twice the height of 55 Hudson, as it appears above. No, there won't be unobstructed views all the way to the Empire State. I guess we're supposed to just be looking at the building, with a general sense of the surroundings. Higher quality renderings will come out.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 3:30 AM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

What I'm saying here is appropriate to the thread; but as per showing a highly contextualized render of that nature, IMHO it behooves the person who/entity that that creaated it to portray as accurately as possible a genuine scale of the project in its unaltered surroundings.

Anyone capable of doing so can craft a finely detailed render of a tower abstracted from its intended environs. To do so in a manner true to those environs, however, is critical.

To do less IMO bespeaks a rather lazy approach to the task at hand.

Okay...So do your finely-tuned standalone tower drawing. And in another render, superimpose it to where it's slated to rise as professionally as you can. The stage of tower design doesn't matter as much as lending an accurate depiction to the setting, of course.

Point is just do that and you'll have a greater chance of earning the trust of folks like us who subscribe to the imperative that context is everything. And I mean every...thing.

Surely I'm not saying it's easy to pull off; but half-baked efforts like the ones above don't pass muster in my parallel universe.

Last edited by Prezrezc; Sep 14, 2017 at 3:59 AM.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 1:12 PM

Renderings are first and foremost marketing tools for the building, for investors, for buyers. Virtually every last one takes liberties to make the building appear better. Many times this includes diminishing the surroundings, most people don't know or care about heights of most buildings. This is all just standard stuff.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 2:08 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

do they have a major tenant lined up yet to get this going?

i take they are fishing for a big catch like morgan stanley, fox, deutsche bank or perhaps even amazon hq2???

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 4:55 PM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSsocal View Post
Virtually every last one takes liberties to make the building appear better...
Point duly noted; but as you suggest, taking liberties can for some ::raises hand:: open up a Pandora's box of sorts.

I see a fine line between marketing tactics and toying with one's susupension of disbeleif. In other words, someone like me who has the occasional propensity to literalize things (i.e. the euphemism, sarcastic dialogue and, apropos to this thread, visual abstraction) will look at something akin to these renders and have a cow because it just looks wrong.

Maybe in my parallel universe, any "WYSIWYG" approach to marketing a tower like this needs to have as its main focus an idea of what my project is really supposed to look like in the surounding urban context.

My 2¢.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
do they have a major tenant lined up yet to get this going?

i take they are fishing for a big catch like morgan stanley, fox, deutsche bank or perhaps even amazon hq2???
My understanding is that they're going forward with that assumption 90-to-100% on target.

Last edited by NYguy; Sep 15, 2017 at 12:26 AM.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan1000 View Post
Getting a Wilshire Grand vibe from this one.
You beat me to it. I was just going to say that. For me it's because of the spire.

I think spires work on some buildings, but not on others. Central Park Tower I think would look really good with a spire. 3 WTC's planned spires looked really good on the renderings and I was disappointed when they removed those. But the spire on Whilshire Grand looks really bad and tacky imo, and I feel like they only did it so they can claim to be taller than Salesforce. It doesn't fit in well with the building and I'm getting similar vibes from the renders on this one. It seems like it'll just be an easy way to claim more height. Hopefully I'm wrong about this one and it ends up looking really nice once it's actually constructed.
As far as the building itself though, I don't have a problem with it. I'll always be glad to have more supertalls in NYC, but I'm not feeling the spire on this one.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2017, 12:29 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
What I'm saying here is appropriate to the thread; but as per showing a highly contextualized render of that nature, IMHO it behooves the person who/entity that that creaated it to portray as accurately as possible a genuine scale of the project in its unaltered surroundings.

I think you're reading to much into it. It's just a simple renering, a preliminary one at that. I've seen renderings that have used completely different cities as a background. The point is, you wiill eventually see more detailed rendering. We don't even know for fact that the spire is still on.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2017, 2:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylkoorB View Post
You beat me to it. I was just going to say that. For me it's because of the spire.

I think spires work on some buildings, but not on others. Central Park Tower I think would look really good with a spire. 3 WTC's planned spires looked really good on the renderings and I was disappointed when they removed those. But the spire on Whilshire Grand looks really bad and tacky imo, and I feel like they only did it so they can claim to be taller than Salesforce. It doesn't fit in well with the building and I'm getting similar vibes from the renders on this one. It seems like it'll just be an easy way to claim more height. Hopefully I'm wrong about this one and it ends up looking really nice once it's actually constructed.
As far as the building itself though, I don't have a problem with it. I'll always be glad to have more supertalls in NYC, but I'm not feeling the spire on this one.
Nobody cares whether a building is 6th tallest or 45th tallest. It's when you're going for that #1 spot with your spire that things turn ugly

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 11:36 PM
New Yorker for life

SEPTEMBER 26, 2017

Old Posted Sep 29, 2017, 1:32 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Oct 2, 2017, 11:42 PM
Metal Up Your !

I'm very excited for this redesign. Looks more sophisticated. Don't know why specifically, but maybe it's due to the fact that the facade angles all the way to the top to thin it out.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2017, 3:12 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

The remaining low-rises to the North in post #738 down the line should see towers. Much of the low rises in the area are being snagged up. Which is good. This area of Manhattan was pretty short a few years ago.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction