HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]

View Poll Results: Convention Center?
Rotterdam CC 4 21.05%
Manila CC 10 52.63%
Moscow CC 1 5.26%
Jacksonville CC 2 10.53%
Grapevine CC 0 0%
Atlantic CC 1 5.26%
Marikina CC 1 5.26%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Aug 2, 2009, 10:12 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Post SSP Competition: Convention Center Voting

Well, I'm a little late, as always!

Here are the entries!

1. Rotterdam Convention Center
The building consists in 4 floors distributed this way
1.-Convention Rooms and common areas
2.-Cafeteria and common areas
3.-Art Exposition places
4.-Envents place

The building is designed ina way that permits green areas to cover most of the terrain if you look from the sky, as well from the back of the building the green areas predominate the view, and because the roof is inclined it permits the grass to occupy far more area than the base area itself. Also to make it more efficient, ecologicly speaking, solar panels are located at the base of the building to generate power for air conditioning systems, as well the inclination of the building permits the irrigation of the green areas.

2. Manila Convention Center

3. Moscow Convention Center

4. Jacksonville Convention Center

This is an extension to the Jacksonville, Florida convention center. It features a large show room for large conventions.

Interior shot

5. Grapevine Convention Center

The Center can host many types of events. There are two large main showrooms, meeting rooms, a large main hall and entrance gathering area, small rooms, a full size Auditorium, 8 loading docks and two cargo ramps, Kitchen and Banquet hall.
This is the Front/Main Entrance. There is a tree lined plaza for gatherings and a sunken ampitheater.

Here is a closeup of the facade at the traffic circle/drop off zone.

This is the backside of the building with some staff parking, equipment storage and loading docks.

This is a very vague map of the interior of the buildings first floor.

6. Atlantic Convention Center

7. Marikina Convention Center

night renders

Let the voting begin!

Last edited by Aleks; Aug 2, 2009 at 8:03 PM.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2009, 11:21 AM

No. 1's green concept was one I liked very much. The shape though does not seem space-friendly and convention centers should be expansive and offer as much space as possible. Also the lack of details was a bummer. This was my 2nd choice.

No.2 was a nice departure from the boxy convention centers, and the roof design was unique. The lack of details was noticeable but it was made up for by the unique design. A nice effort

No.3 would have been nice if it wasn't too over the top. The white arch like girders that inter-cross the convention center was too much. Maybe if it was lessened, the effect would be more pleasing.

No. 4 got my vote mainly for its unique wave like roof, which is almost similar in concept to No. 2. Though it skimped on details as well, the unique roof designed masked the kinda boxy and glassy center and added variation. Some qualms of mine though would include that large wood structure inside the center which I have no idea of what it really is.

No. 5 was a very back to basics convention center which I also liked. This would have gotten my vote for its details and floor plan but I put into consideration the design. I'm a big fan of unique and groundbreaking designs. That is not to say that this center is not groundbreaking, but it would have gotten my vote if gave more 'flair' or bold elements in its design.

No.6 was a simple and nice design though I think it a tad too tall for a center. Details aren't plentiful and there doesn't seem to be a lot of elements that break out of the center's structure. Its all very smooth and shiny. It would have helped if there were details like embossed metal ledges to give the structure a sense of dimension...

Sorry for the long comment... I loved all the entries so it was hard to pick one... haha... G'job guys!

Old Posted Aug 2, 2009, 11:37 AM

aleks, i can't see the poll and i can't vote, can you tell me what's going on?

Old Posted Aug 2, 2009, 11:47 AM

i can't see the poll either...

Old Posted Aug 2, 2009, 11:59 AM

so how did you vote if you can't see the poll?

Old Posted Aug 2, 2009, 12:02 PM

i voted using my comments... lol... I didn't get to see the poll either so I just wrote that I voted for that particular entry using words... perhaps I should have used the word 'picked.' Sorry to have confused u...

Old Posted Aug 2, 2009, 12:34 PM

some good entries but this time the simple,unrendered,unadvertised,
unglossy and not overdoing it model got my vote.That was no. 1 which i
totally ignored at first glance.this model does need some more work but
its trying to be green and simple...worth the vote

plus i can accept trees on this building.it should be continued on.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2009, 4:20 PM
Closed account

1.The deisgn is very bland and boxy but I like the green concept Mostly the trees coming out of the roof..Reminds me of the Baltimore Aqu.

2.I loved it!They put a lot of effort into it and The shape was pretty good!This one took my vote.

3.Not sure if it's me or whatever......But this for me was over the top.I like the design but it had too much.......

4.I like this one!I love the roof.,Took the boxyness out of the desegn.I also like the glass they did.Nice job!My second place vote.

5.I love the inside of the building and I like the floor plan,But a bit too boxy for me.If they added a little more detail it would be a very nice convention center!Nice job!

6.I like the roof and the design.If they added a little more detail here and there it would be fantastic!Great job!

The Manila Convention Center Took my one vote!

Great job everyone!

Old Posted Aug 2, 2009, 5:00 PM
<:

edit

Last edited by Aleks; Aug 2, 2009 at 8:03 PM.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2009, 5:11 PM
<:

i voted number 2, the mcc, cos it looks unique and itll fit manila :okay: i also love the effort and details on it.. great job.

the others are also great!

Great job everyone!

Last edited by Skyscraper100; Aug 2, 2009 at 5:38 PM.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2009, 5:24 PM
Closed account

Woah looks real nice Skyscraper!It would really be you and the #2 I would have to choose between.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2009, 6:30 PM

Wow it's great, your design skills are awesome, Altough i don't know if the roof of the building can stand in reality but in general it's great.
i think you could win this comp.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2009, 8:02 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

Woah, sorry about that SS100!

Old Posted Aug 4, 2009, 3:03 PM
<:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
Woah, sorry about that SS100!
its okay. at least they liked it.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2009, 11:00 AM

ho gawd... why didn't I see that markina cc yesterday!!! That would have gotten my vote without question... The roof though raises some issues on stability but boy its unique!!! one comment though... con centers need to be as expansive as they can to accomodate many events so its better to spread wide than build tall.. but what the heck I still love it!!! g'job... too bad it wasn't in the polls...

Old Posted Aug 3, 2009, 1:52 PM
<:

thank you!
congrats dude, i want your concen to be built!
and yeah, dunno why he didnt add mine on the poll

Old Posted Aug 3, 2009, 3:45 PM
World Machine

Here’s my take:

1.Interesting concept, but it doesn’t seem practical in correlation to what purpose a convention center serves. The plot is awkward for the structure and use of the structure. I also think there is too much green. Creative idea though, and I like the interior detail.

2.Very well put together, thought out and presented, there’s no doubt about that. Probably the most clean cut convention center here. However the design to me seemed ‘been there done that’. It’s an excellent design, but didn’t have that ‘wow’ factor from my perspective.

3.No denying the amount of effort that went into this one, but I’ll echo what everyone else has said in the regards that it may have been too much effort. The creativity is there, and it looks realistic to a wacky looking structure that would be built in Europe. Can’t really say it’s my taste though.

4.Lose the big ‘Jacksonville’ sign and you have a winner. I love the clash between modern and futuristic. It works and it’s appealing to the eye. Simple, yet attractive. This one had potential to be over the top but was saved by the simplicity of the base. This one got my vote. Well thought out and executed.

5.Flashback to 1985. What I like about this one is the pure simplicity and the layout which works very well for the purpose that this structure serves. Now the simplicity of the positive also circles back as a negative. The design is undeniably bland and seems afraid to break out of the mold into something eye-catching.

6.Like the façade, dislike the shape. The shape is what jumps out at you as being too small and too tall. Not very realistic for a convention center.

7.Pretty damn cool is all I can really say about it. It’s a shame because this would have gotten my vote. It’s well executed and possesses that ‘wow’ factor.

All in all the entries were very well done all around. It was difficult to choose at first glance because there was something I liked about all of them. They were all well thought out, so I give credit to all of those who participated. Good job guys!

Old Posted Aug 3, 2009, 11:52 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

Woahx2! I'm starting to loose it...

I extended the deadline too. Well this is kind of embarrassing...

Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 9:27 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

I voted number 2. It was big and bulky like a convention center and the square shape means the floorplan allows the convention rooms to be big and maximize the square footage. My only complaint are the colors in the front. Something more "simple-modern".

Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 7:01 PM
<:

btw aleks, you shouldnt be a "moderator" if you cant handle even just small things like this.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]