HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jan 30, 2021, 5:06 AM

There used to be a chain of convenience stores in Quebec that was eventually gobbled up by Couche-Tard. It was called "Perrette" and was known for its milk and Ice cream products. Perrette was the name of the milkmaid in a famous old French fable. The original signage seems to have been a copy of Lawsons hourglass contour with a milk canister in the middle. A québécois guy living in Japan wrote about it on his blog:

edogawa.canalblog.com/archives/2010/08/22/18840865.html

Old Posted Feb 1, 2021, 8:26 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by montréaliste View Post
There used to be a chain of convenience stores in Quebec that was eventually gobbled up by Couche-Tard. It was called "Perrette" and was known for its milk and Ice cream products. Perrette was the name of the milkmaid in a famous old French fable. The original signage seems to have been a copy of Lawsons hourglass contour with a milk canister in the middle. A québécois guy living in Japan wrote about it on his blog:

it is and there is a tie.

both carry or carried the original lawsons signage from cleveland and ne ohio chain that dates to 1939.

after many decades, lawsons went away in ne ohio when it merged with dairy mart in 1985 -- and eventually became circle k.

couche tard bought out the dairy mart assets in 2002.

many people, particularly clevelanders that get to japan, know the japanese lawsons conbini chain very well because it is quite a shock to see one if you did not know about it lol.

the japan version dates to 1974, has gone through several owners, and i see is today owned by mitsubishi.

per my own poking around in them in japan, outside of the signage, afaik the only remaining product they carry over from the original lawsons chain is the famous scallion potato chip dip.

lakewood oh 1980 -- i do remember this one lol!

ROLL ON BIG O!

One man drinks while the other man drives
on that nonstop Lawson's run,
and the cold, cold booze, in the tank truck caboose
stays as fresh as the florida sun!

https://youtu.be/B7r6A6YQdtI

Old Posted Feb 1, 2021, 9:30 PM

Here in San Dimas, (Phoenix) its the Circle K..

NOT OK's NOT K's CIRCLE K

And In case anyone is confused Bill & Ted was filmed in Phoenix

Old Posted Feb 1, 2021, 9:52 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by montréaliste View Post

I remember Perrette's. They had mini-sips, popsicles, and freezies for 7 cents each.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 3:29 PM
E pluribus unum

I worked overnights at a Circle K in Phoenix in the summer between my freshman and sophomore years of college. The money was good for the time ($8.50 in AZ in 2003) but it was the best "scared straight" program for staying in college...

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 4:01 PM
video et taceo

Weirdly, Circle K is big here too.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 4:04 PM
video et taceo

Anyone remember the old Boni-Soir logo?

I can't find a bigger pic of it, but the reclining paper bag man had the most unsettling, blank, empty-eyed stare. He was like something from an old hermetic book or something, really creepy. He's gone now.

http://www.inforapide.com/getImage.p...ainPicture.jpg

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 4:51 PM

Circle K has expanded internationally, originally started in Texas but its largest concentration is in Arizona and Southern California, Its grown far beyond being a regional chain like it was when Bill and Ted came out in the late 80's

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 9:45 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
Anyone remember the old Boni-Soir logo?

I can't find a bigger pic of it, but the reclining paper bag man had the most unsettling, blank, empty-eyed stare. He was like something from an old hermetic book or something, really creepy. He's gone now.

http://www.inforapide.com/getImage.p...ainPicture.jpg
Yeah, I'll never forget the paper bag man with his blank eyed stare. Reminds me of Ken's blank stare on his seminal "Ken by Request Only" album.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 11:22 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

When it comes to the actual names of the stores, Variety is probably the next most common after Convenience, though no one would actually refer to it as the "variety store". Likewise for Discount.

Some shop fronts from the Variety Store series by local photographer https://www.instagram.com/francisco_...e_montecinos/:

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 7:23 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

circle k's today mostly seem tied to gas stations, is that true? or are there stand alones?

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 8:28 PM
E pluribus unum

There's a few standalone Circle K's (at least in Arizona) that were holdovers from a previous era. Nowadays, most of them are attached to gas stations. I think it used to be or still is 76 (Uniroyal?) in this part of the country, but might be something different now. The one up the street from me is a Shell gas station.

I think I frequented Circle K the most when my family went in with a couple other families on season tickets to Diamondbacks baseball games (right field bleachers by the pool). If the pitching staff got x number of strikeouts (I think 12?), then everyone at the ballpark got free Thirstbusters. Somehow, my family lucked into getting most of the games that Randy Johnson and Curt Schilling pitched so a stop at Circle K afterwards was almost a given.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
circle k's today mostly seem tied to gas stations, is that true? or are there stand alones?
New ones are but there are plenty of 7/11 style corner stores from the old days.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions