HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Oct 1, 2012, 1:10 AM

CityGROWTH,CityBOOM Halifax future

So ill start this off im going to school and ive been listening to everyone talk about where we all want to go after school im from Halifax I want to work in Halifax I wanted to leave at one point because it was at a big hault but coming back I seen like 4cranes over bedford way 1 in dartmouth wyse road about 4 in fairview and 6 downtown I love seeing growth and a boom like this Halifax come up in alot of talks as well as regina :s it was said they want to grow by 100,000 a year!!! how much do you think we are going to aim at after the convention center goes up we have a bright future keep this thread going with updates growth and what you seen has been a positvie step for Halifax change is here

Old Posted Oct 2, 2012, 12:30 PM

Would love to start my career out in HRM but it doesn't look that promising at the moment. Might take the Alberta/Saskatchewan route to get the experience (not really for the money) which might help down the road at finding something here at home.

Is the Private Sector on the way up in the development aspect?

Old Posted Oct 2, 2012, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISH89 View Post
Would love to start my career out in HRM but it doesn't look that promising at the moment. Might take the Alberta/Saskatchewan route to get the experience (not really for the money) which might help down the road at finding something here at home.

Is the Private Sector on the way up in the development aspect?
Same here unfortunately.

I would of loved to gotten my education in Halifax and started my career there but unfortunately there is no faith in youth or the private sector.

In Halifax the private development sector is seen as the enemy by many people because we are out to only make money. This far from the truth because most developers do want to make money BUT they also have a passion to improve their communities and build a positive legacy around their companies.

The youth are also seen as more of a "problem" than an opportunity. Most companies won't hire people that have "fresh ideas" and in many of my experiences the local government will not even acknowledge young people have ideas let alone consider them at a fair level with older people.

My dream is to live what I have dubbed "The Maritime Dream". I would own a nice house in Central Halifax (or a condo in the revamped Downtown Dartmouth) which would be paid for by a successful development company that I run. I would spend most of my time on Halifax projects but every summer I would spend a few weeks focusing on projects in the Halifax-Moncton corridor. I'd do this from a satellite office that would be commutable from a cottage on the North Shore around Pugwash. I'd focus on building high-quality buildings that have little environmental impact and provide major improvements for the community (think the CBC/YMCA project).

Unfortunately this dream of mine is not likely to happen simply because I am a youth (therefore cannot get my foot in the door) and I would be in the private sector (which is evil!). If Halifax can get its act together and realise that the private sector is a good thing and that our real potential lies in faith in our youth then I will consider taking the risk and leave my legacy on Halifax. Whether this is a good or bad legacy will be up to the community.

- DJ

Old Posted Oct 2, 2012, 7:50 PM
Halifax Promoter!

Keep up the fantastic work and don't give up hope!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Same here unfortunately.

I would of loved to gotten my education in Halifax and started my career there but unfortunately there is no faith in youth or the private sector.

In Halifax the private development sector is seen as the enemy by many people because we are out to only make money. This far from the truth because most developers do want to make money BUT they also have a passion to improve their communities and build a positive legacy around their companies.

The youth are also seen as more of a "problem" than an opportunity. Most companies won't hire people that have "fresh ideas" and in many of my experiences the local government will not even acknowledge young people have ideas let alone consider them at a fair level with older people.

My dream is to live what I have dubbed "The Maritime Dream". I would own a nice house in Central Halifax (or a condo in the revamped Downtown Dartmouth) which would be paid for by a successful development company that I run. I would spend most of my time on Halifax projects but every summer I would spend a few weeks focusing on projects in the Halifax-Moncton corridor. I'd do this from a satellite office that would be commutable from a cottage on the North Shore around Pugwash. I'd focus on building high-quality buildings that have little environmental impact and provide major improvements for the community (think the CBC/YMCA project).

Unfortunately this dream of mine is not likely to happen simply because I am a youth (therefore cannot get my foot in the door) and I would be in the private sector (which is evil!). If Halifax can get its act together and realise that the private sector is a good thing and that our real potential lies in faith in our youth then I will consider taking the risk and leave my legacy on Halifax. Whether this is a good or bad legacy will be up to the community.

- DJ
You have done fantastic work on this site, please keep up the great work! I am sorry to hear you had to leave Halifax to find employment. I hope you do get to come back soon. I too love Halifax and would hate to have to leave here.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2012, 10:53 PM

^Don't worry I don't ever quit without a fight! (part of my stubbornness)

If you doubt it just ask HRM Traffic. We were so different in opinions they banned me from emailing them (or at least getting replies).

At least I ended up in Calgary. At the rate family members are moving out here it's getting more and more like home everyday. Myself included 3 have moved out since the end of August! There's another on the way too.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2013, 8:07 PM
Honored Member

I think the following story in The Chronicle Herald was well written and points out the new upbeat attitude in Halifax - http://thechronicleherald.ca/heraldm...t_read=1171440

Quote:
Love this town: A new outlook for Halifax
December 7, 2013 - 12:00am BY JOHN DEMONT
Fillmore one-ups Toderian when he says Halifax is on the verge of becoming “one of the world’s great mid-sized cities” in terms of “walkability, vibrancy and fundamental sustainability,” along with business development.

But for that to happen, everyone agrees, there’s work to do. Where to start is the question. So we asked around. We came up with a list of concrete notions that could help push this city into a new league.

Some of them require a whole new way of thinking. What Waye Mason, one of the progressives on Halifax’s retooled municipal council, calls “changing our impression of ourselves from a culture that is extremely conservative and risk-averse to a place that is innovative and entrepreneurial.”

It isn’t just ordinary folk who have to change. Within the bowels of municipal government, it’s a new day for gun-shy bureaucrats whose traditional attitude when confronted with innovative ideas was “default to no,” according to municipal insiders.

A few of these ideas will require a real outlay of cash. But that is the beauty of an exercise like this. We’re just blue-skying. We’re thinking big because, ladies and gentlemen, now is the time for big thoughts.

ERECT SOMETHING ICONIC
HOLD ON TO THE YOUNG
CREATE REAL COMMUNITIES
BRING BACK THE FOOT TRAFFIC
ATTRACT A PRO SPORTS FRANCHISE
BUILD AN OUTDOOR MUSIC VENUE
GET PEOPLE FROM A TO B

Old Posted Dec 7, 2013, 11:18 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

The city's outlook does seem like it has become more positive over the past few years.

One of the road blocks I see when it comes to retaining young people is that they are under-represented in government and the provincial government in particular has a very rural/suburban circa 1980 sort of outlook (which is I guess sort of progressive compared to the former 1950's mentality of propping up heavy industry). Younger people need economic development the most because they do not have savings or established careers and yet the dominant form of economic development is tied to a lifestyle they don't want.

The good thing is that Halifax already has a lot of stuff that just happens to be back in fashion now, like old North End-type neighbourhoods. The city's potential is enormous and fairly unusual. Most Canadian cities are about 90% post-war sprawl.

It is complicated but I think the province would be better served by shifting the focus more toward entrepreneurship (grow small local businesses vs. trying to attract branch offices) and affordability (tuition, housing/transportation, taxes), and they must recognize that the urban core is disproportionately important and needs unique types of investment to be successful. A one-size-fits-all strategy for all of NS will fail.

Aside from the transit/urban focus and better economic development strategies the other stuff is all secondary. It might be good for the city but it's not going to make or break it.

I have a feeling the CFL is pretty likely to happen over the next few years, just based on how the mayor and CFL commissioner have been talking about it.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2013, 3:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
^Don't worry I don't ever quit without a fight! (part of my stubbornness)

If you doubt it just ask HRM Traffic. We were so different in opinions they banned me from emailing them (or at least getting replies).

At least I ended up in Calgary. At the rate family members are moving out here it's getting more and more like home everyday. Myself included 3 have moved out since the end of August! There's another on the way too.
If you are interested in planning - U of C's program (Master's in Planning) is in the process of being accredited as a planning degree with the Canadian Institute of Planners. There is also an undergraduate program with Environmental Studies and Urban Studies.

The time will come that HRM will hire - I think it's just people remaining to pack on the money into their pensions, there was an article saying that over the next 5-10 years that HRM would lose somewhere between 40-50% of the senior staff. So people will move up and lower level entry positions will open up - but always take advantage of the opportunities where you can. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be heading back to Halifax, but I won't discuss that in the open forum...

Old Posted Dec 8, 2013, 5:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
If you are interested in planning - U of C's program (Master's in Planning) is in the process of being accredited as a planning degree with the Canadian Institute of Planners. There is also an undergraduate program with Environmental Studies and Urban Studies.

The time will come that HRM will hire - I think it's just people remaining to pack on the money into their pensions, there was an article saying that over the next 5-10 years that HRM would lose somewhere between 40-50% of the senior staff. So people will move up and lower level entry positions will open up - but always take advantage of the opportunities where you can. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be heading back to Halifax, but I won't discuss that in the open forum...
Wow I have to remember to read what was quoted before reading responses. I just read your comment and was thinking to myself "I wonder who he's talking to". I practically fell off the couch laughing when I realised it was a year old post by me.

I'll send you a PM.

PS for everyone else just an FYI if someone says there are plenty of jobs in Calgary just smack them. 1 interview in 1 month doesn't quite qualify as great especially when applying for nothing specific.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2013, 4:35 PM

Try more into the Geomatics route Jackson. One job can snow ball into a number of different career paths. I ended up getting a drafting job in Edmonton for a survey company and it's already opening new doors to different contacts in a number of planning and geomatics fields. Someone offered me a job in a record store after finding out what I did and a lengthy chat about work in the industry

You went to COGS for a period of time, right? You must still remember your AutoCAD skills haha, take a look into it.

That said my room mate here is a planner and he's finding it a bit difficult but there are other careers or jobs to pay the bill until the right offer comes along!

Old Posted Dec 8, 2013, 8:40 PM

I recently graduated and have been looking for a job for about a month now. I think there are a fair few urban design jobs in Hong Kong/China, but so much competition and I'm not sure the design bits of my portfolio stand up well next to others who had more architectural training. So I'm not finding much success and I'm close to falling back on some McJob, or English tutoring. Keeping an eye on Halifax and Toronto though!

Old Posted Dec 8, 2013, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
I think the following story in The Chronicle Herald was well written and points out the new upbeat attitude in Halifax - http://thechronicleherald.ca/heraldm...t_read=1171440
This is a very interesting article.

To me the top priority is a pro sports team; it says we are playing with the big boys. It will also boost civic pride. With the number of Haligonians living across the country we should have tremendous support where ever we play.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2013, 12:10 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveHalifax View Post
This is a very interesting article.

To me the top priority is a pro sports team; it says we are playing with the big boys. It will also boost civic pride. With the number of Haligonians living across the country we should have tremendous support where ever we play.
I agree that it will likely significantly increase attendance throughout the league with so many ex-Maritimers spread throughout the country.

Old Posted May 19, 2022, 2:36 PM

ok so i don't know where to post this but has anyone seen whats coming to Nova Scotia?
GREEN HYDROGEN! at point tupper, which is on the ice free maga deep port of the strait of canso. also LNG...don't hold your breathe on that but it is linked now to green hydrogen.
if the new cold war brings tight links between europe and north america we could see the ports of nova scotia boom with the new clean energy production and distribution globally
https://www.saltwire.com/atlantic-ca...ada-100732742/

Old Posted May 20, 2022, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jor D View Post
ok so i don't know where to post this but has anyone seen whats coming to Nova Scotia?
GREEN HYDROGEN! at point tupper, which is on the ice free maga deep port of the strait of canso. also LNG...don't hold your breathe on that but it is linked now to green hydrogen.
if the new cold war brings tight links between europe and north america we could see the ports of nova scotia boom with the new clean energy production and distribution globally
https://www.saltwire.com/atlantic-ca...ada-100732742/
Great News! I had heard rumblings about this last year just before the provincial election. There is also a green play with green energy from Muskrat Falls. I read also the the Heritage Gas NG pipeline, because its a new plastic pipe system can accept up to 20% hydrogen. That being said I think the Germans and Europe will take every cubic metre this plant produces.

Old Posted May 21, 2022, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
I agree that it will likely significantly increase attendance throughout the league with so many ex-Maritimers spread throughout the country.
I was gone for a while when the news came out but I'd like to reiterate that it was a pleasure to exchange conversation with you over the years. When the time comes and a proper stadium is built in Halifax we'll all drink (an expensive!!) drink for you, Kevin. RIP

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Business, Politics & the Economy