HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Nov 3, 2009, 12:01 AM

It would be great to see people come out and support ASU and or pro teams just for the joy of watching great athletics and for the social aspect of getting together with friends rather than be so obsessed with winning. I can't stand gravy train, bandwagon fans who show up when everything is going FANtastic and disappear when it isn't.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2009, 3:04 AM
BANNED

So you have a problem with fans of competitive sports being competitive?

It's just the way it works man.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2009, 2:18 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixwillrise View Post
It would be great to see people come out and support ASU and or pro teams just for the joy of watching great athletics and for the social aspect of getting together with friends rather than be so obsessed with winning. I can't stand gravy train, bandwagon fans who show up when everything is going FANtastic and disappear when it isn't.
Why should anyone celebrate mediocrity? Nobody should reward losers.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2009, 5:36 PM
Todo para la familia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo the Dog View Post
Why should anyone celebrate mediocrity? Nobody should reward losers.
I agree.....especially at the pro level. Sure a participant trophy is cute for a 4 year old but for our college and pro teams it is unacceptable. Fans just get to a point where mediocrity is just blah and positive results puts butts in the seats.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2009, 5:48 PM
BANNED

The "everyone is equal" attitude is never a good one. It doesn't work for anything.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2009, 5:54 PM
Todo para la familia

I never got a participant trophy.......I remember my son got a "fantastic job" ribbon for a science fair project and I thought to myself, "good for him". That is until I saw the other 30 same ribbons. I then thought, "WTF?....they all got the same damn ribbon". My thing is, you can't just sit there and say they did great when in reality some kids suck at science fair projects. I remember I won second place at my fair in 1st grade and that was it. No participant ribbon, no way to go certificate, nothing. It was either bust your ass and earn a ribbon or go home dejected and have your parents say, "well, i guess you aren't as smart as you thought cabron!" I'll admit it is great to encourage your kids positively and support what they do (sports or academics) but they need to know that just trying and doing it is one thing but being better than others is another thing.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2009, 6:05 PM
BANNED

I got a 9th place trophy in a golf tournament one year, and even then (I was 11) I asked the guy who handed me the trophy why I deserved one. I was 3rd to last, and those kids got trophies too.

I like trophies for first, second, or hell even third, but anything after that is just a product of over protective parents saying their kids are going to be hurt if they are excluded. I say thats a fucking parenting problem. If your kid sucks so bad they can't even get a trophy or medal for top three, you're either failing them as a parent for allowing them to do things they suck at, or they are stupid.

I don't play tennis, and do you know why? because I am not good at it. I stuck to what I could win at as a kid, and my parents encouraged me to keep doing the activities which I was good at. Sally Mormonpants in East Mesa meanwhile keeps her kid from playing dodgeball because he might get hurt and encourages him stay at home and play with ken dolls thus creating a future homosexual who will then scream that he is equal and wants equality and rights.

All this because mom wouldn't let him be equal or even better than the kids in school when he was growing up.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2009, 7:32 PM

Ummm riiiiiight...pulling your kids out of certain activities creates homosexuals???? At least that seems to be where your 'logic' is headed. I know you're not one to rile people up with your statements, so I'll just leave it alone and let people get a good chuckle from reading it.

Anywho, GO SUNS!

Old Posted Nov 3, 2009, 7:34 PM
BANNED

If you can't laugh, you don't have a sense of humor!

Old Posted Nov 3, 2009, 7:36 PM

I'm seeing a doctor about my inability to laugh. It's not funny people.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2009, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicelord John View Post
So you have a problem with fans of competitive sports being competitive?

It's just the way it works man.
Obviously you have never watched a Big Ten Football game on TV with packed stands watching teams play because they appreciate the game and support their team thru thick and thin, in the PACTEN you see that at UW and maybe Oregon .
Everytime I see your posts on here, from now on, I will think to myself there goes another gravy trainer, waiting for a winning team so he can jump on the bandwagon. Did you ever play a sport?

Old Posted Nov 3, 2009, 9:57 PM

Well have you ever actually been to a game? Because it sure doesn't sound like it. I've been a Cardinals fan for years despite the Bidwills and no fan is sitting around singing cumbaya and praising the sports "finer" details. Fans yell, curse, and let fly on anyone including the team.

As Bryant Gumble put it the opposite of love is not hate, it apathy. No emotional involvment means no passion which means your not really a fan.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2009, 10:10 PM
BANNED

There is a difference between being a "gravy trainer" and being what you described which is basically a fan who goes to be seen and hang out with your friends.

" just for the joy of watching great athletics and for the social aspect of getting together with friends"

^^ that says to me you would prefer people go to be nonchalant fans. I disagree with both gravy trainers and your wishes.

When you are a fan of a team, you are with them through thick and thin, and you punch, kick, and headbutt people who are fans of the other team. It's COMPETITIVE sports, so get your non-competitive ass out of there. You yell at your team when they are sucking, just as you cheer them when they are doing well. Being a sports fan means feeling a tie to the team and being PASSIONATE about it. Simply going for the social aspect is not competitive. If you want to socialize, then go to a bar or go bowling. Sports are obviously not for people who don't have a competitive streak.

"Did you ever play a sport?"

Let's see, I played varsity basketball in high school sophomore and junior year.

I have carried a 5hdcp since I was about 12 and played varsity golf all four years of high school. I also won several JGAA events and qualified for the Junior World Championship in San Diego in I think 1999 when I was 14.

I ran cross country during freshman year and was ranked #5 in 2A and ran 3 mile courses in an average of about (I'm going on ten years memory here) 16 minutes.

I'm an avid basketball player and have coached YMCA Jr. Suns (6-9years old) to 4 undefeated seasons. Doesn't hurt that I'm the only coach under 50 so all the kids automatically want to be on my team. No, I am not doing it for community service, though I was at the beginning.

I race MBAA (mountain biking association of arizona) about once a season but mainly am a biking hobbyist.

In JV high school baseball (4A school) I hit 4 home runs in a season and batted over .500.... played 4 games varsity and struck out just about every at bat.

So yeah, I've played sports. I'm a natural at just about every sport I pick up. I'm not sure what you were trying to get at, but I'm not sure given my athletic background you have any argument.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2009, 11:47 PM

Question, How can you boo your team or yell at them when they play lousy if you aren't in the stands to do so? Dude by being obsessed with winning I never said I wasn't competive and pissed when they play bonehead or stupid, like ASU just did against CAL, WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT IT IS BEING THERE TO SUPPORT WIN OR LOSE AND TALK ALL THE SHIT YOU WANT, BUT BE THERE, DON'T BAIL OUT ON THEM. GRAY TRAINERS ONLY SHOW WHEN THEY WIN.
Let me get this straight. I am non competitive because I back my team when they are down? WTF are you talking about? You are either contradicting yourself or have didn't even read my initial comment. So you are saying it's competitive and the way it is, when a fan only shows up when his team is winning because that is competitive and macho or some shit. Again WTF?
So if your team like say ASU right now, is rebuilding and fighting their asses off to turn it around and go out and lose 23-21 then they are not competetive so you wouldn't go to their games, again WTF.
Dude I to coached youth sports and totally agree with you the "everything is equal stuff" is B.S. because when I was a youth you had to earn it for playing time in Little League and High School there were no guarantees like there are now in a lot of youth sports. Side note, it's great you are involved and coaching, but to say that because I am for backing my teams thru the good times and bad times and not being a fair weather fan means I am of the "everything is equal " crowd is a beyond a stretch.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2009, 12:02 AM
BANNED

Why don't you read your first post again. You said people should go to sporting events for the social aspect. If everyone did that, the crowds would be so quiet you could hear crickets. You're basically saying people should be sports fans to enjoy the sport and almost inferring that it be ignored.

I'm not saying anyone should be a fair weather fan. That would be gay. I hate fair weather fans, but I don't hate them as much as the ASS BAGS that pay $400 for a Suns ticket only to show up midway through the first quarter, and then leave at the end of the third, all the while never clapping, standing, etc. Those people are the people who go for the social aspect, thus those people are the ones (as stated in your first post) who should be filling the stands.

We both agree on one thing, we hate the fair weather fans, but you're losing me when you say the "social aspect of getting together with friends" people should show up. They aren't even fair weather fans... they aren't fans at all... and that's who you're saying should show up. It's just the way sports work dude, people are going to cheer when you do well, and boo when you do poorly. I was suspended a season from coaching for asking a parent not to cheer for her kid when he missed a shot and say "nice try Colton." I took her aside in practice and told her missed shots should not be encouraged and if her kid was ever going to develop as a basketball player, he should have positive reinforcement when he does something great, and should be ignored when he does something wrong. THAT is the nature of sports fans.

Shame on you for even arguing with me about this.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2009, 1:25 AM

It's probably semantics all I was saying getting at initially is that it's sorry that people can't enjoy sports anymore without obsessing on winning, maybe I didn't state it perfectly but my point is I am with my teams thru whatever and I don't stay away when they go thru down periods, I get as frustrated as anybody when they don't win but I am still there when the aren't. It kills recruiting in college when there is no one in the stands and likewise in pro sports it kills revenue to go out and get and entice free agents to come play.
A good example is SC in L.A., where the hell where all those fans when they had those lean years? Now every gravy trainer and his brother is at SC games, some having no clue what the sport is about.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2009, 2:07 AM
BANNED

Well to be fair, sports are all about winning.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2009, 3:39 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicelord John View Post
The "everyone is equal" attitude is never a good one. It doesn't work for anything.
Please run for office one day.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2009, 5:10 PM
Todo para la familia

I'd vote for him....I'm all about controversial decisions so voting for Vicelord would be another story to tell the grandkids. BTW...Suns are 4-0 with impressive showing VS the Heat. Team is playing very well but they have a tough couple of games coming up.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2009, 7:08 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locofresh55 View Post
I'd vote for him....I'm all about controversial decisions so voting for Vicelord would be another story to tell the grandkids. BTW...Suns are 4-0 with impressive showing VS the Heat. Team is playing very well but they have a tough couple of games coming up.
Theyve beaten teams they should beat so far so Im not going to get too excited. Itll be interesting to see how bigger/better teams like Boston and Orlando do against them. Hopefully LB will be back soon as the Suns will need his scoring in those games.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest