HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Arts, Culture & Entertainment

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Feb 27, 2010, 3:40 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
Travelling is part of education, although it is expensive for most people. Nevertheless, if you can go and spend time in Montreal, Copenhagen, and Amsterdam (for starters, anyway) it is possible to observe how people living in cities have loads of fun in an urban context.
I have traveled, lived all over the world. Part of the problem here is that the restrictive laws have pushed people into tight clickey groups who drink at each other's houses and don't expand their social circles. I see this as being due to few options. The burbs are even worse - they are culturally void and soulless places.

As the article rightly notes, you have to have massive financial start up costs to do anything here. What has happened here is a monopoly on bars - look at Donnolley group for instance. We need more independent, down to earth, owner operated places.

I am optimistic that it can change, i just don't get why it has taken so long. Of all the cities in the world i've lived and spent time, Vancouver is the most livable in many ways, but sadly i give it a F in an engaging social scene.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Arts, Culture & Entertainment