HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 3:22 PM
クラブトクヨ

Wow, scale back? So dumb. Surface lot??

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 4:34 PM
Meh

Maybe they can build a plaza on that vacant lot and set up some lawn chairs for people to enjoy the view of 21Rio's blank facade?

West Campus gets its first high rise that doesn't look like it should come in a paper bag, and they want to kill it.

/Lame

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 9:04 PM

Why scale back? Because of the historic house on the corner of the property? Have they SEEN what's in the corner of the 6 X Guad lot?!

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
Why scale back? Because of the historic house on the corner of the property? Have they SEEN what's in the corner of the 6 X Guad lot?!
Leslie Pool has a twin and kindred spirit on the Historic Landmark Commission. Commissioner Hagatha, I think. She was the lone vote against even reconsidering the project in September after another meeting with the developer. She's the one that wants to keep the surface lot as well. She likes the surface lot because it adds space around the old house. The other commissioners just don't like the new building's proximity to the house.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Last edited by The ATX; Aug 29, 2018 at 9:39 PM.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 9:23 PM
Meh

Put the tower on stilts. Seriously, why not? It would even protect the house from say, hail storms and other weather effects. They could have a covered plaza fronting the house.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Put the tower on stilts. Seriously, why not? It would even protect the house from say, hail storms and other weather effects. They could have a covered plaza fronting the house.
Because resolving all those shear forces into those stilts would probably suck a lot. I love the idea though.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2018, 2:11 PM
Love Austin

Let's keep an eye on how this plays out. Interesting how so many of our affordability issues can be traced back to our prioritizing of so many things that we say matter but that trip up and complicate the creation of housing. The offer to save the home and simply cut out part of the lawn seems more than adequate, and could result in over 500 young adults waking up and walking to school, but instead the process is dragged out and made less efficient.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 11:14 AM

Good news on this one. After failing to get approval from the HLC, this is now on the Planning Commission's agenda for next week Tuesday. Staff recommends approval of the developers request to remove the historic zoning of the PARKING LOT next to the house thus giving them room to build this project as proposed.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 11:54 PM

This is one of Urbannizer's photos. This project is proposed for that surface lot near the windowless side of 21 Rio. The density in West Campus is becoming impressive.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 1:04 PM

The Planning Commission was much more favorable to this project than the HLC. The zoning change needed to make this happen passed 9-1.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 3:20 PM
クラブトクヨ

Sweet! So they will move forward with render design?

Old Posted Sep 29, 2018, 11:15 PM

This project has been making a lot more local news than most projects ever do - especially for a West Campus building. That's probably because there was some zoning change controversy and City Council needs to give final approval for the change.

There are some discrepancies in the floor counts being reported. The site plan says it's 19-stories while local media is saying 17-stories. The 17-stories is probably coming from counting the floors in top down rendering. But the street level floor is actually two levels if you look at the street level renderings which makes it 18-stories. But there is a weird and very narrow floor on top by the 21 Rio building which is probably mechanical and would be floor #19. So the project appears to be 18-stories officially, and I changed the floor count to 18 in the thread title (if anyone cares.)

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 12:20 AM
Meh

http://www.fox7austin.com/news/local...op-if-approved

Yeah, even Fox 7 had a story on it. They were interviewing the guy who bought and restored the Kenney House, and he's actually very supportive of the tower.

I also read one story that called it a 20-story tower. So, who knows.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 7:12 AM
World Traveler

I noticed the story on KXAN when I went to their website but didn't open it. I hope they do go with that rendering - it would be a nice change for West Campus.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 10:57 AM

The CC votes on this Thursday.

Quote:
Item 46
C14H-1981-0018 - Kenney House - Conduct a public hearing and approve an ordinance amending City Code Title 25 by rezoning a portion of the property locally known as 611 W. 22nd Street from general office - mixed use - historic landmark - neighborhood plan (GO-MU-H-NP) combining district to general office - mixed use-neighborhood plan (GO-MU-NP) combining district zoning. Staff Recommendation: To grant general office - mixed use - neighborhood plan (GO-MU-NP) combining district zoning for a portion of the tract. Historic Landmark Commission Recommendation: No recommendation due to lack of a quorum vote. Planning Commission Recommendation: To grant general office - mixed use - neighborhood plan (GO-MU-NP) combining district zoning for a portion of the tract. Applicant: Mike McHone. City Staff: Steve Sadowsky, Historic Preservation Office, Planning and Zoning Department, 512-974-6454.
http://www.austintexas.gov/departmen...01-reg.htm#057

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 5:30 PM

The CC approved the zoning change request on First Reading only.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
The CC approved the zoning change request on First Reading only.
does that mean that they still have 2 readings to go? I really need a civics lesson on how the council approves items.

what does "approved with consent" mean, for instance? does it mean they actually voted? or just said "aye"?

I've searched the city website for rules, and terminology definitions with no luck...not that its not all there.....I just can't find it.

is it all in Robert's Rules?

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcbrickley View Post
does that mean that they still have 2 readings to go? I really need a civics lesson on how the council approves items.

what does "approved with consent" mean, for instance? does it mean they actually voted? or just said "aye"?

I've searched the city website for rules, and terminology definitions with no luck...not that its not all there.....I just can't find it.

is it all in Robert's Rules?
"Approved by Consent" means there was only a vote and no discussion. This is typically done to follow staff recommendations on projects that are not controversial.

Zoning changes need to be approved on three readings. All three readings can be voted on at the same time during one meeting or each reading can be voted on during three different Council meetings.
From what I've noticed, all three readings are often voted on and passed at the same time if the issue has no public or Council concern. But it is common to have items approved on first reading only, and then second and third readings get voted on at the same time at a future second meeting.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
"Approved by Consent" means there was only a vote and no discussion. This is typically done to follow staff recommendations on projects that are not controversial.

Zoning changes need to be approved on three readings. All three readings can be voted on at the same time during one meeting or each reading can be voted on during three different Council meetings.
From what I've noticed, all three readings are often voted on and passed at the same time if the issue has no public or Council concern. But it is common to have items approved on first reading only, and then second and third readings get voted on at the same time at a future second meeting.
Thanks for that.....
How do we see how each member voted, when "approved by consent?"

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcbrickley View Post
Thanks for that.....
How do we see how each member voted, when "approved by consent?"
That I don't know. But "Approved by Consent" implies that everyone voted for it. If someone one was against it, the item would typically be pulled from consent and opened for discussion and a regular Council vote. I don't ever recall a motion approved by consent having a no vote. But I only pay attention to this stuff when there is project that I am interested comes up for a vote.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin