HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Oct 7, 2020, 10:11 PM

Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 12:46 AM

Wow imagine that last pic with a couple rail lines running through it... and on 4th St. — downtown tunnel, baby!

Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 12:54 AM
Meh

Other than Capitol workers, who I doubt would take dirty public transit anyway, who else would even need to visit that part of downtown? Please excuse my cynisim, but I've always just felt like that area of downtown will always be a lost cause, not because of it's built form, but because there will never be anything there. The state doesn't want any public uses (remember, they shot down the planetarium) and retail isn't likely either.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 3:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Other than Capitol workers, who I doubt would take dirty public transit anyway, who else would even need to visit that part of downtown? Please excuse my cynisim, but I've always just felt like that area of downtown will always be a lost cause, not because of it's built form, but because there will never be anything there. The state doesn't want any public uses (remember, they shot down the planetarium) and retail isn't likely either.
What are you talking about?

The Capitol is one of the biggest, if not the biggest, tourist attraction in this city with hundreds of visitors per day. They built the Bullock Museum, for the public, and are still considering making part of new building across the street as a museum.

And the thousands of other state employees who make less than $100k per year use public transportation in droves. Go stand at one of the bus stops on Lavaca or San Jacinto at 5pm. Your cynicism is ugly.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 3:58 AM
Meh

The Capitol and museum, yes, the rest of the complex, no. What I'm saying is the other buildings in the complex are generally off limits to the public. It's the deadest area of downtown for a reason.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 1:30 PM
World Traveler

I'm not arguing against that view for a casual visitor by any means, but there are a lot of offices in that area that have services that people (pre-Covid, at least) had to go there to get. I had to visit a few of those offices for paperwork for my business in Asia and other things as well. Granted, I didn't go all the time (maybe 2-3 times), but I was usually one of hundreds of non-State employees in the building each time. Surely that wasn't a unique circumstance.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
I'm not arguing against that view for a casual visitor by any means, but there are a lot of offices in that area that have services that people (pre-Covid, at least) had to go there to get. I had to visit a few of those offices for paperwork for my business in Asia and other things as well. Granted, I didn't go all the time (maybe 2-3 times), but I was usually one of hundreds of non-State employees in the building each time. Surely that wasn't a unique circumstance.
As someone who used to work in that area, I used the post office in the state office building next door to the construction zone fairly regularly. There's also a DPS office nearby that I used as well. My recollection of Congress Avenue along the future mall is that there were usually a decent number of people walking around on a workday. The streets immediately to the west and east however (Colorado, San Jacinto) were really dead - probably because they're nothing but surface lots and parking garages.

I'm guessing the new buildings won't really impact the street scene that much because state employees tend to be the suburban drive to work and drive immediately home type. Now many of them won't ever have to go anywhere other than the underground garages and their offices.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 4:38 PM

I think that area has a lot of potential in the future. The Texas mall will be an attraction in itself. I think once the state garages are torn down (hopefully) along Trinity/San Jacinto I can see redevelopment of that whole sector of downtown ala Seaholm/Greenwater. Plus Lavaca/Guadalupe between downtown and UT densifying with towers like we are starting to see.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Visitor / Local: "Let's go see what else we can do now that we just saw the Capitol Bldg and Bullock Museum".

Visitor / Local: "Nothing".

No one: "There's lots more to do!".

So I agree with you. Two or three more public attractions, Aquarium, science museum, planetarium, eateries, all impossible dreams that would have gotten me to frequent the area. The office buildings don't contribute to the skyline much, but are necessary to conduct state business. I get that. But even Albany NY was able to add features to their state office complex to attract visitors and locals. I was one. I know because I was born there and have family there and check it out every time I went to Albany. I think Government areas should be more visitor friendly by adding accommodations that attract people to spend the entire day, not just the obligatory visit to the Capitol and Bullock museum. And EASY folks, that's just my opinion.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 7:16 PM
Meh

The mall is nice, but that area of downtown needs more attractions for the public - other than business related stuff. I'm talking about things that attract out of towners and families. The area now is no more of a public attraction than the Travis County Courthouse is. I'm looking forward to checking out the mall, but I feel like it'll be the only thing there for the public to enjoy. And I'm well aware of the Capitol. I grew up running around on the Capitol grounds and walking through the halls almost every weekend.

I sort of feel the same about Waterloo Park. I'm really excited about it, but the area surrounding it is positively dead. Maybe that will change with the park being revamped.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2020, 8:47 PM

Old Posted Oct 11, 2020, 8:56 PM

Reilly Elementary School in the foreground there. One of the district's smallest schools, with only 257 students. I think there's some long-term plans to consolidate it on another campus in the future.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2020, 11:00 PM

This Lil' guy went up at the Texas Mall site today.

https://public.earthcam.net/tJ90CoLm...ongress/view_1

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 1:24 PM
World Traveler

I suppose that one is only for the parking garage underground up to ground level...meaning it likely won't get any taller, right? Is that some sort of minimal record for ground-level-to-top for that kind of crane in our city?

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 1:34 PM

The 2nd crane for Dorsey was even closer than that I believe. Couldn't have been more than 30 feet.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 9:35 PM

Are all of the parking garages connected underground through the entire complex?

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexal View Post
Are all of the parking garages connected underground through the entire complex?
For the Phase I projects, yup.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 10:02 PM

1601 Congress

1801 Congress

Old Posted Nov 4, 2020, 5:59 PM

They've got glass going up on 1801. The granite mullions look really nice! Contemporary take on the tradition of using granite for state buildings.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2020, 6:53 PM

So they are adding all this parking which doesn't seem needed since they already have a lotta other parking garages that are adequate. So what's going to happen with all the other parking garages?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin