HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Aug 6, 2015, 12:54 AM

Also, the Foundry on Portland and Roosevelt is seeing a ton of remodel activity, apparently also opening in the winter (http://www.visitphoenix.com/members/...5/details.aspx)

I am so excited to see the activity level and further acceleration of development after this round of hotels and apartments near completion!

Old Posted Aug 6, 2015, 5:09 AM

I'm very happy to hear that are finally putting one of Phoenix's most beautiful buildings back to use. Great news!

Old Posted Sep 21, 2015, 5:18 PM

The Hilton Garden Inn put up a photo of their rooms on Facebook, with the caption "Needless to say...it'll be worth the wait." I don't know about that, looks...outdated.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2015, 1:06 AM

--

Last edited by michael85225; Sep 22, 2015 at 9:54 AM.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2015, 1:55 AM

I don't think it looks outdated I think it just looks like a normal hotel room.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
The Hilton Garden Inn put up a photo of their rooms on Facebook, with the caption "Needless to say...it'll be worth the wait." I don't know about that, looks...outdated.

Nothing to write home about but who cares about the rooms. This place is about the lobby and as long as its done up in art-deco glory ill be pleased.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 8:28 PM
self-important urbanista

A restaurant has been announced for the hotel:

http://www.azcentral.com/story/enter...otel/74636522/

I welcome the development and, having never been to Nook's original quasi-Arcadia location, I look forward to trying the restaurant. I do wonder, though, if we'll eventually reach a saturation point in terms of wood-fired pizza Downtown. We've already got Bianco, La Piazza PHX, Pomo, Cibo, & Forno 301 within a half mile radius. For now, it seems to be the more, the merrier.

Last edited by exit2lef; Oct 26, 2015 at 8:54 PM.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 1:56 PM

I've tried their other items at Nook. Very good. Pricey for most people, but I know they are capable of doing a decent variety of a menu.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 3:07 PM

Nook is good... If you like it.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2015, 5:35 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
A restaurant has been announced for the hotel:

http://www.azcentral.com/story/enter...otel/74636522/

I welcome the development and, having never been to Nook's original quasi-Arcadia location, I look forward to trying the restaurant. I do wonder, though, if we'll eventually reach a saturation point in terms of wood-fired pizza Downtown. We've already got Bianco, La Piazza PHX, Pomo, Cibo, & Forno 301 within a half mile radius. For now, it seems to be the more, the merrier.
downtown Phoenix is the wood fired pizza capitol of the world it seems.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2015, 1:21 AM

Since they speak of Nook as if it is the hotel's on-site restaurant, does this mean it will take up the interior lobby food/bar area? I hope so, as that is the most interesting space from a historic restoration POV. Having a local operator unique to the Valley will help in making this more of an attraction for downtown (at least as much as Province is, for example) vs. a generic hotel chain (like the Renaissance, Hyatt, or future Luhrs' Marriotts). If does go in the lobby, I hope that there is good signage by the hotel's Central Ave entrance.

And, hopefully, the local theme continues for the retail tenants; I hate the location of 'Valley Bar' with all of the vacant street-fronting spaces available... that would've made a great addition to the hotel and to Monroe. Too bad it's not 2008, or else the trio of failed CityScape concepts would also be cool: Le Crepe Nanou, Huey's 24 Hour Diner, and Rasputin Vodka Bar. Or, a Poisoned Pen... ugh, just anything but a chain coffee shop, chain sandwich shop, and chain Thai restaurant.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2015, 1:41 AM

People on this site talk a lot about what they don't like.

I like all businesses that open down town, the more the better. Fact is many people have many different tastes and lots of people are only going to visit chain restaurants. Those bring the people, the local shops are still available to those of us who want something unique.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2015, 8:12 AM

Will this place be open before the college football national championship? They missed a super bowl opening by about a year.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2015, 7:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
Will this place be open before the college football national championship? They missed a super bowl opening by about a year.
Unfortunately it doesn't look like it....

Old Posted Dec 5, 2015, 6:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
People on this site talk a lot about what they don't like.

I like all businesses that open down town, the more the better. Fact is many people have many different tastes and lots of people are only going to visit chain restaurants. Those bring the people, the local shops are still available to those of us who want something unique.
I'm not totally against chains. But, this is a historic building just outside the Convention Center, and in the middle of a ton of local businesses. Is it so bad to want one of the only historic buildings downtown to have unique, destination-type retail? Hotel Monroe had so many interesting spaces and could have been similar to hotels like the W- more of a nightlife atmosphere. That's still missing downtown, so I think it'd be nice if the retail here is attractive to visitors and gives downtown regulars new options.

I am actually surprised at how few chains opened near ASU. The Pizza Hut is so out of place on Polk... and then there is Subway and El Portal but that's about it. If nothing else, the Taylor Mall retail could've been a good spot vs. office space. Maybe one day, that garage on 1st St will look more like the Fulton Center.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2015, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floc34 View Post
Unfortunately it doesn't look like it....
I think it might be. I believe they received their occupancy certificates already. I know the city helped expedite the process. I believe it was so they could be open for the Championship game. It will be very close either way.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 10:54 AM

They're accepting reservations starting 12/20. Amenities mention Monroe's restaurant and a bar called Boulevard- I assume these will be in the lobby and Nook will take one of the 3 streetside retail spots. I hope that Monroe's an Boulevard have adequate signage in front so that they become destinations for more than just the hotel's guests.

http://hiltongardeninn3.hilton.com/e...OGI/index.html

Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
They're accepting reservations starting 12/20. Amenities mention Monroe's restaurant and a bar called Boulevard- I assume these will be in the lobby and Nook will take one of the 3 streetside retail spots. I hope that Monroe's an Boulevard have adequate signage in front so that they become destinations for more than just the hotel's guests.

http://hiltongardeninn3.hilton.com/e...OGI/index.html
There is supposed to be a rooftop bar as well. Not sure what it's name is.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 8:22 PM
self-important urbanista

Another sign that this project is almost done: Monroe Street has reopened to traffic between Central and First Street. No more detouring down to Adams or riding on the sidewalk in front of the Chase Tower.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 9:00 PM
Skyriser

With all these planning inspired names for restaurants so far downtown (District, Province, Boulevard, etc.) somebody should start another one serving 1890's inspired fare (local ingredients for the era, etc) and call it Territory.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest