HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Feb 28, 2021, 6:41 PM

As disappointed as I am I am being optimistic that the MLS is going to work with Sac to bring in a new investor--does not and likely will not be local. Both the city and the MLS have so much invested in this and there is a green light to move ahead already, with the team and the stadium, that is just seems like an opportunity for someone to swoop in. No shortage of mega rich in this country.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 2:40 PM
4give me for I have Zin'd

Does anyone know why the New Courthouse webcam is no longer available?

Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 5:21 PM

UC Davis Health debuts plans for $3.75 billion hospital tower project
By Felicia Alvarez – Staff Writer, Sacramento Business Journal
Feb 26, 2021 Updated Feb 26, 2021, 2:32pm PST
https://www.bizjournals.com/sacramen...r-project.html

Quote:
The UC Davis Medical Center is set to see a massive overhaul of its intensive care unit space under a new $3.75 billion expansion plan.

The university is planning to build a new 16-story hospital tower that would replace the 120,000-square-foot east wing of the hospital, as well as parts of the north and south wings of the hospital. Those wings of the Sacramento medical center are not expected to meet seismic safety standards by the 2030 deadline set by the state...
Project Drawing:

Additional Information:
  • Total Project Size: 1,000,000 square feet.
  • Reasons for the Project: Earthquake standards. It will increase the hospital's capacity from 625 beds to 700 beds. It will increase the hospital's ability to surge to 450 ICU beds, up from its current surge capacity of 200 ICU beds. Reduce the chance of spreading infection by getting rid of all double-occupancy rooms - probably a result of COVID.
  • A 5-Story pavilion and a new parking garage will be built adjacent to the existing hospital.
  • UCD plans on submitting the plans to the UC Board of Regents later this year.
  • Ground-breaking could be in late 2021.
  • UCD wants to start accepting patients in 2030.

UCD MC also has long-term plans to build Cancer, Rehabilitation and Ambulatory Care centers ($1.9 billion) to take pressure off of the main hospital.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 7:24 PM

Anybody know what is going up at G and 7th street? Noticed a bunch of steel going up.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanadvocate View Post
Anybody know what is going up at G and 7th street? Noticed a bunch of steel going up.
I can't find any new building or planning permits filed for any of the four parcels on the 7th and G intersection in Sacramento, or three parcels on the 7th and G intersection in West Sacramento. Can you share pictures of the site and hopefully signage that would give a clue to the developer / architect?

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewCNelson View Post
I can't find any new building or planning permits filed for any of the four parcels on the 7th and G intersection in Sacramento, or three parcels on the 7th and G intersection in West Sacramento. Can you share pictures of the site and hopefully signage that would give a clue to the developer / architect?
Yes next time I drive by there I will but it looked like just north of where that "newish" affordable housing project is and south of the parking area at 7th and F.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 9:57 PM

Quote:
7. Metro at 7th

Developer: USA Properties Fund Inc.

Description: Construction of a four-story affordable-housing project with 150 apartments. Amenities to include courtyards connected to a community garden, a children’s play area, a youth room and private support rooms or larger conference rooms. The project resembles Metro Crossing, an affordable housing project USA Properties proposed on the same site almost five years ago.

Cost: Not disclosed

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 8:40 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
As disappointed as I am I am being optimistic that the MLS is going to work with Sac to bring in a new investor--does not and likely will not be local. Both the city and the MLS have so much invested in this and there is a green light to move ahead already, with the team and the stadium, that is just seems like an opportunity for someone to swoop in. No shortage of mega rich in this country.
I wish I shared your optimism but this wasn’t a surprise.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 12:14 AM

Quote:
I drove by there earlier today. A banner out front said it's a new SMUD electrical substation.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sactivity View Post
Does anyone know why the New Courthouse webcam is no longer available?
According to an email I recieved from OxBlue the camera owner removed the camera from public viewing. Didn't say why though.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 6:20 PM
Kodachrome

Quote:
According to an email I recieved from OxBlue the camera owner removed the camera from public viewing. Didn't say why though.
Back in 1999 when the Federal Courthouse was under construction I was
chased away by security several times saying it was illegal to take photos
of a Federal Bldg.. Now that's not the case because of a court settlement
reached in 2010 affirmed the right of citizens to shoot still images and video
footage of federal buildings. In this case, they wanna make you work for
it and not have a timeline archive to review so a would be terrorist could
make plans take it down. At lease that is how it has been explained to me.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innov8 View Post
Back in 1999 when the Federal Courthouse was under construction I was
chased away by security several times saying it was illegal to take photos
of a Federal Bldg.. Now that's not the case because of a court settlement
reached in 2010 affirmed the right of citizens to shoot still images and video
footage of federal buildings. In this case, they wanna make you work for
it and not have a timeline archive to review so a would be terrorist could
make plans take it down. At lease that is how it has been explained to me.
Whilst I might agree that is the explanation given to you it doesn't explain why the Natural Resources building, also owned by the state, has several webcams operating even still.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 9:37 PM
Kodachrome

Quote:
Whilst I might agree that is the explanation given to you it doesn't explain why the Natural Resources building, also owned by the state, has several webcams operating even still.
Yes, but courthouses have a history of being attacked and bombed. It doesn't
have to make sense, but I think that's the logic.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 12:39 AM

8 story 15S mixed use groundbreaking this fall 2021
https://www.hrgarchitects.com/15-s-m...ent-sacramento

Old Posted Mar 16, 2021, 4:50 PM

Good to see progress on 15S. There's sneakily a lot of stuff getting prepped and going up right now. The Richards Blvd complex is going vertical fast, as is the new north 12th street Dos Rios/Mirasol Village development.

Looks like CADA is working with D&S now to try and get the 14th & N site developed. Plan is to build 8 floors a la 1430Q, 2 concrete and 6 wood. All rentals except for the top floor which they want to sell (at $1M/unit...good luck).

http://www.cadanet.org/wp-content/up...ent-Site-A.pdf

The design doesn't look terrible but also not as good as the Cresleigh version.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2021, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korey View Post
Good to see progress on 15S. There's sneakily a lot of stuff getting prepped and going up right now. The Richards Blvd complex is going vertical fast, as is the new north 12th street Dos Rios/Mirasol Village development.

Looks like CADA is working with D&S now to try and get the 14th & N site developed. Plan is to build 8 floors a la 1430Q, 2 concrete and 6 wood. All rentals except for the top floor which they want to sell (at $1M/unit...good luck).

http://www.cadanet.org/wp-content/up...ent-Site-A.pdf

The design doesn't look terrible but also not as good as the Cresleigh version.
The new version of the CADA property across from the Capital looks rather low quality for "across from the Capital".

Old Posted Mar 16, 2021, 10:49 PM

I can also see the addition to the CALSTRS building now from the freeway, I think it's only 10 stories but it's noticeable in that location.

How soon until the new courthouse building starts going vertical?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 3:27 PM

Sacramento's MLS Saga gets National Attention...

Forbes has two articles outlining the backstory to the Ron Burkle/Sacramento Republic debacle. Some of this may be old news to you, but for those of us non-locals, I found them both illuminating.

Major League Soccer Announces Ron Burkle Has Decided Not To Acquire Expansion Sacramento Team by Christian Red - Feb 26, 2021

https://www.forbes.com/sites/christi...h=7d65ced540b3

New Sacramento Republic President Lays Out Plan To Rejoin The MLS Expansion Conversation by Ian Nicholas Quillen - March 15, 2021

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ianquil...h=7bc516f91ab1

As someone in development now for over 20 years, I can tell you one of the key elements to successful projects is momentum. You just can't lose it.

In 2020 I continued flying starting in May just to keep the momentum on projects moving forward. Meeting the team onsite and showing confidence, command and providing direction absolutely kept some (alas, not all) projects on track and funded, saving both my company and those whom we employ from financial ruin.

Had I stayed home and tried to Zoom everything, there is simply no doubt those projects would have died and I'd be looking at a very different 2021, as would the rest of our team.

After the MLS big announcement, I grew increasingly concerned with the lack of any news and could, even from a distance, feel the momentum slipping away.

Of course I'm not privy to what happened behind he scenes. And as the articles point-out, several events seemed to conspire to hinder Sacramento's efforts, but that's where leadership proves its worth, and lack of leadership cements failure.

Scrambling now to pick-up pieces is extraordinarily difficult and made all the more frustrating because of the superb effort to get a deal done in the first place.

While it can undoubtedly still be saved and Mr. Dunivant may be the person to do it, anyone who has executed a complicated project knows that when the stars align (through hard work and a few breaks), you must seize the moment.

While I hope I'm wrong, Sacramento may have let this one slip away...

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Travis View Post
Forbes has two articles outlining the backstory to the Ron Burkle/Sacramento Republic debacle. Some of this may be old news to you, but for those of us non-locals, I found them both illuminating.

Major League Soccer Announces Ron Burkle Has Decided Not To Acquire Expansion Sacramento Team by Christian Red - Feb 26, 2021

https://www.forbes.com/sites/christi...h=7d65ced540b3

New Sacramento Republic President Lays Out Plan To Rejoin The MLS Expansion Conversation by Ian Nicholas Quillen - March 15, 2021

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ianquil...h=7bc516f91ab1

As someone in development now for over 20 years, I can tell you one of the key elements to successful projects is momentum. You just can't lose it.

In 2020 I continued flying starting in May just to keep the momentum on projects moving forward. Meeting the team onsite and showing confidence, command and providing direction absolutely kept some (alas, not all) projects on track and funded, saving both my company and those whom we employ from financial ruin.

Had I stayed home and tried to Zoom everything, there is simply no doubt those projects would have died and I'd be looking at a very different 2021, as would the rest of our team.

After the MLS big announcement, I grew increasingly concerned with the lack of any news and could, even from a distance, feel the momentum slipping away.

Of course I'm not privy to what happened behind he scenes. And as the articles point-out, several events seemed to conspire to hinder Sacramento's efforts, but that's where leadership proves its worth, and lack of leadership cements failure.

Scrambling now to pick-up pieces is extraordinarily difficult and made all the more frustrating because of the superb effort to get a deal done in the first place.

While it can undoubtedly still be saved and Mr. Dunivant may be the person to do it, anyone who has executed a complicated project knows that when the stars align (through hard work and a few breaks), you must seize the moment.

While I hope I'm wrong, Sacramento may have let this one slip away...
Unfortunately that's what happens when everything hinges on one billionaire. The guy gets cold feet and then everything comes crumbling down, from the team, to railyards development. It's insane that there wasn't something more concrete in place with all of the fanfare they made about the MLS announcement.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAGeoNerd View Post
Unfortunately that's what happens when everything hinges on one billionaire. The guy gets cold feet and then everything comes crumbling down, from the team, to railyards development. It's insane that there wasn't something more concrete in place with all of the fanfare they made about the MLS announcement.
Funny how often a $400 or $500 million buy-in requires one billionaire.

When so much is riding on that one billionaire, strong local leadership doesn't let him stray...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area