HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 21, 2021, 8:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
As track improvements come along along with electric trains, speeds will increase drawing more riders. As it does I think you will begin to see the introduction of express routes ie London/KW/Pearson/Union greatly reducing travel times. This would eat into VIA's ridership and may force them to finally invest in the London/Alder/Union route.
Invest how? What would you like them to do?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2021, 2:34 PM
BANNED

With no real change in government after the election, will we see much from them regarding Via?
Could we see shovels in the ground for the HFR between Toronto and Ottawa within a year?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2021, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
With no real change in government after the election, will we see much from them regarding Via?
Could we see shovels in the ground for the HFR between Toronto and Ottawa within a year?
I doubt it would be that quick, but it means HFR will keep "moving". Hopefully now that the Feds finally decided to invest in it, we will start seeing some more concrete information soon.

I suspect the first part of HFR to get built will be Ottawa-Montreal anyway as that part needs the least work. It will likely involve only some additional passing tracks and level crossing work to increase speeds.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2021, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
I doubt it would be that quick, but it means HFR will keep "moving". Hopefully now that the Feds finally decided to invest in it, we will start seeing some more concrete information soon.

I suspect the first part of HFR to get built will be Ottawa-Montreal anyway as that part needs the least work. It will likely involve only some additional passing tracks and level crossing work to increase speeds.
I expect we will see the plan firmed up first. The actual right of way needs to be identified between Smiths Falls and Toronto. The right of way needs acquisition.

On the Ottawa-Montreal corridor, it is mostly the entry into Montreal Central Station that needs to be improved. If the plan is to move to the CPR right of way (currently used by Montreal commuter trains), this is the big work to be done. The track in Eastern Ontario has been mostly improved already and I can't see adding passing tracks until all Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal trains use that route and we are doing 15 round trips per day.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2021, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
I expect we will see the plan firmed up first. The actual right of way needs to be identified between Smiths Falls and Toronto. The right of way needs acquisition.

On the Ottawa-Montreal corridor, it is mostly the entry into Montreal Central Station that needs to be improved. If the plan is to move to the CPR right of way (currently used by Montreal commuter trains), this is the big work to be done. The track in Eastern Ontario has been mostly improved already and I can't see adding passing tracks until all Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal trains use that route and we are doing 15 round trips per day.
I rode the train from Ottawa to Dorval and my speedometer app showed the train topping out at ~145 km/h but on the curvier parts of the track it would slow to ~110. So I'm hoping they will straighten out large parts of the alignment to allow more time cruising at the higher speed.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2021, 7:25 PM

Old Posted Sep 27, 2021, 8:03 PM

^ Having been on two trains that have been in level crossing accidents on the prairies, that picture gives me a bit of anxiety...

Old Posted Sep 27, 2021, 8:06 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Having been on two trains that have been in level crossing accidents on the prairies, that picture gives me a bit of anxiety...
It's pretty intense to be in small town Ontario and seeing one of these VIA trains whizzing by a level crossing.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2021, 10:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
It's pretty intense to be in small town Ontario and seeing one of these VIA trains whizzing by a level crossing.
Just imagine the work that would be required to remove all level crossing in Canada? Even just for the ones that serve passenger service.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2021, 8:37 PM
BANNED

With the announcement that all passengers on Via (and others) will be required to be vaccinated, I wonder how this will change ridership.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2021, 2:54 PM
BANNED

Last weekend, a friend visited here. He had never seen the Canadian and wanted to see it, so we went train spotting. It was supposed to b in Capeol Station around 3am. It was over 2 hours EARLY! While that is great, I am wondering why. It is notoriously late most times, so, while this is a good thing, it makes me wonder what is so different that allows it to run early.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2021, 3:12 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I traveled on Via on Sunday. Nobody asked to see my Vax papers.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Oct 12, 2021, 3:14 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
AFAIK it doesn't become a requirement till sometime in November.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2021, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Last weekend, a friend visited here. He had never seen the Canadian and wanted to see it, so we went train spotting. It was supposed to b in Capeol Station around 3am. It was over 2 hours EARLY! While that is great, I am wondering why. It is notoriously late most times, so, while this is a good thing, it makes me wonder what is so different that allows it to run early.
It was maybe about 10 years ago that VIA decided to deal with chronically late trains by padding the Canadian's schedule to absurd lengths. So maybe on trains that manage to avoid getting shunted off to sidings for long periods of time, they might actually make it to their next stop early.

For example: Back in the early 2000s when I was going to school in Edmonton the train left Winnipeg at 5 pm and got to Edmonton 8 am the next day... pretty comparable to driving. Now it leaves at 9:30 pm and isn't scheduled to get to Edmonton until 8:50 pm the next day. A speedy driver with a fuel-efficient car and a good bladder could drive to Edmonton and back to Winnipeg in that amount of time.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2021, 3:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
It was maybe about 10 years ago that VIA decided to deal with chronically late trains by padding the Canadian's schedule to absurd lengths. So maybe on trains that manage to avoid getting shunted off to sidings for long periods of time, they might actually make it to their next stop early.

For example: Back in the early 2000s when I was going to school in Edmonton the train left Winnipeg at 5 pm and got to Edmonton 8 am the next day... pretty comparable to driving. Now it leaves at 9:30 pm and isn't scheduled to get to Edmonton until 8:50 pm the next day. A speedy driver with a fuel-efficient car and a good bladder could drive to Edmonton and back to Winnipeg in that amount of time.
I understand that the schedules are padded. it just surprised me that CN would allow it to be that early, after all, it is CN that are in charge of train movements on that route.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2021, 3:24 PM

Quote:
I understand that the schedules are padded. it just surprised me that CN would allow it to be that early, after all, it is CN that are in charge of train movements on that route.
Just a guess, but I doubt it makes much of a difference to CN... they are probably happy to have it sit longer on a station track at Capreol and be out of the way of freights on the main line.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2021, 9:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Just a guess, but I doubt it makes much of a difference to CN... they are probably happy to have it sit longer on a station track at Capreol and be out of the way of freights on the main line.
Possibly. While I was there, a freight did come through. However, they did leave on time.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
I'm amazed you lived to tell the tale!

BTW, any news about HFR?

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floppa View Post
I'm amazed you lived to tell the tale!

BTW, any news about HFR?
I'm quite sure that Ottawa has already struck a committee to study HFR and it should be out by 2030. After a 15 year environmental review, endless community consultations, and decades of construction in 2060 HFR should be up and running offering Canadians travel speed finally back to what they were in 1960.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 4:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
I'm quite sure that Ottawa has already struck a committee to study HFR and it should be out by 2030. After a 15 year environmental review, endless community consultations, and decades of construction in 2060 HFR should be up and running offering Canadians travel speed finally back to what they were in 1960.
Your tendency to exaggerations and counterfactuals is well documented in this forum and on UrbanToronto, but the fastest travel time between Montreal and Toronto in 1960 was 6:15 hours. Also, if you can even see a comparatively modest proposal like HFR only happening in 2060, when I'm afraid that your Toronto-London greenfield corridor with 200 km/h fast diesel trains proposal is not going to happen during your lifetime...

Last edited by Urban_Sky; Oct 20, 2021 at 4:43 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada