HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 14, 2021, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tg11 View Post
Canada needed the win last night. It was a must win game if you truly think about it. Especially given next month's window of games where we have to face Costa Rica on November 12th and then Mexico on November 16th

Both games are in Edmonton and Alphonso Davies is from Edmonton

Against Costa Rica, that game is pretty much a must win next month

And then against Mexico in Edmonton playing at home, a win or a draw would be good enough
Weather should play a bit of a roll.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2021, 12:49 PM

What a great time on Wednesday! Flew Porter from Ottawa which was seamless, had a great early dinner downtown, and caught the last GO Train (just barely) out to the game. The lineups outside the stadium resulted in my missing the first 11ish minutes of the game but, other than that, a perfect night! I hope Edmonton can get a big crowd in November as it made for such an amazing atmosphere. Definitely one of my top sporting experiences ever.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2021, 1:49 PM

One of my finest sporting memories was Canada vs. Jamaica WCQ in 2008 at BMO. So I can imagine you got some of the same vibes. Though my game ended in a draw. #1 by the way was '95 Canadian GP when Alesi had his only win in the #27 Ferrari, the same number as his hero, Gilles Villeneuve, on the track named after GV. I was one of the many thousdands of fans that invaded the track when he took the chequered flag while other cars were still racing.

Anyway, you got any pics to share?

Old Posted Oct 15, 2021, 2:46 PM

Didn't take too many photos but here is one just after I (finally) go to my seat. All the seats eventually filled in around us after the chaotic vaccine screening at the gates.

Last edited by AuxTown; Oct 15, 2021 at 2:57 PM.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2021, 2:56 PM

Here are a couple of my video clips from the match to give you an idea of the amazing energy of the crowd:

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 15, 2021, 3:05 PM

Rumours of Vancouver hosting the men's team vs USA in January.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2021, 3:09 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
They pretty much have to.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2021, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
They pretty much have to.
Weather/roof lol?

Old Posted Oct 15, 2021, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
I think that was decided a long time ago just not finalized.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2021, 3:21 PM

Ya I can't imagine where else they could play the January match. There will be snow drifts just about anywhere else in Canada.....Windsor??

Old Posted Oct 15, 2021, 3:27 PM

Pacific FC in Victoria has a year round real grass field but the stands are too small.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2021, 6:29 PM

Cool. Girl in the front with a black Atiba jersey

I’ve made dozens of video compilations on my sports trips. Highlights don’t pick up the fan POV on the atmosphere. Good to see that buzz.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2021, 7:34 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuxTown View Post
What a great time on Wednesday! Flew Porter from Ottawa which was seamless, had a great early dinner downtown, and caught the last GO Train (just barely) out to the game. The lineups outside the stadium resulted in my missing the first 11ish minutes of the game but, other than that, a perfect night! I hope Edmonton can get a big crowd in November as it made for such an amazing atmosphere. Definitely one of my top sporting experiences ever.

I was there as well - we also missed the first 10 mins or so! Great atmosphere and vibe even though I'm not as into soccer as my friends who I was there with. Agreed that it was also one of my top sporting events in some time.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2021, 6:00 PM

Herdman explains some of the reasons for playing in Edmonton

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 4:20 PM
ハルウララ

CS Mont-Royal Outremont have won the 2021 PLSQ, so they will be that league's representative in the 2022 Canadian Championship. They'll be a first-time entrant given that Blainville had won the previous three entries. Should be fun to have a new team from the Island competing.

Ontario's rep will be determined by the playoff winner of League 1 Ontario, which is down to effectively five teams - Vaughan Azzurri, Master's Futbol, Guelph United, FC London, and Blue Devils. Three of these teams (Vaughan, Master's, Blue Devils) have played in the Canadian Championship before, and Guelph are playing in their first season in L1O.

The 2021 Canadian Championship is still ongoing, with four teams remaining in the semifinals - TFC, Pacific, Forge, and CF Montreal.

The 2020 Canadian Championship has still not played its final between Forge and TFC. That match is still TBD.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 10:24 PM

Canada Soccer announces tickets to go on sale Friday 22 October for November FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 Qualifiers in Edmonton
canadasoccer.com October 19, 2021

Tickets for the highly anticipated Canada Soccer Men’s National Team FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™ Qualifiers in Edmonton will go on sale to the public this Friday 22 October at 10.00 MT / 12.00 ET / 09.00 PT starting at $20 via Ticketmaster.ca.

Canada will open the massive two-match set in Edmonton against Costa Rica on Friday 12 November before taking on Mexico on Tuesday 16 November. Fresh off an impressive 4:1 victory over Panama on home soil and with Canada sitting in third place in the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™ Qualifiers, the Canadian squad is calling on its fans to fill Commonwealth Stadium with a Sea of Red support as the nation rallies behind the team on its quest to reach Qatar 2022.

“We have always had great crowds in Edmonton, and we’re looking forward to our Canadian fans creating a Sea of Red at Commonwealth Stadium,” said John Herdman, Canada Soccer’s Men’s National Team Head Coach. “It will be special for Alphonso to have the opportunity to play in his hometown and we are anticipating that the weather will be an added factor in these matches to help us build our fortress for these all important battles on the pitch.”

All international matches held in Canada are subject to all public health considerations to ensure the safety of all players and fans. Notably, all fans in attendance will be required to demonstrate proof of full vaccination or produce a negative COVID-19 test to enter the stadium and must follow City of Edmonton, Province of Alberta, and Commonwealth Stadium COVID protocols and guidelines. For more information, visit Edmonton.ca/COVID-19.

In advance of the 22 October public ticket on sale, a special presale window will be available for #CanadaRED subscribers. To gain access to this advance presale, Canadian fans are encouraged to sign-up to become a #CanadaRED subscriber at candasoccer.com. Becoming a #CanadaRED subscriber is the best way for Canadian soccer supporters to ensure an inside track on fan promotions, advance access to National Team home matches, and the latest information on Canada Soccer activity.

For complete ticket information please visit canadasoccer.com.

The two November matches, and all of Canada’s remaining 8 matches in Final Round of Qualifying, will be broadcast live on OneSoccer, Sportsnet, and RDS.

Purchase a Two-Match Package and Save 25%
Fans looking to attend both the Costa Rica & Mexico matches can purchase a two-match package to save 25% on individual match tickets. In addition to the savings, the two-match package ensures the same seat for both games.

Group Ticket Discount Offer
Group discounts (25+ tickets) are available for these matches. Fans organizing a group of 25 or more are eligible to receive discounts of up to 30% off regular priced tickets. To submit a group ticket request, complete the group order form indicating the price point and quantity of tickets you are wishing to purchase here (Costa Rica Group Orders | Mexico Group Orders). Following the submission of the online form, you will be contacted to confirm payment details and complete the processing of tickets. Ticket orders will be processed on a first come, first serve basis so organize your group, club, or team today.

Voyageurs Canadian Supporters Group
The Voyageurs Canadian Supporters Group have been allocated designated sections at Commonwealth Stadium. For more information on securing tickets with the Voyageurs Canadian Supporters please visit https://www.thevoyageurs.org/. Please note that persistent standing will be permitted in these sections.

Visiting Supporters
Visiting supporters have been allocated designated sections at Commonwealth Stadium and are encouraged to sit in these sections. To purchase a seat in the visiting supporters’ sections please select Visiting Supporters from the ticket “Type” option on the Ticketmaster event buy page.

CANADA SOCCER’S MEN’S NATIONAL TEAM PROGRAM

Canada has built plenty of momentum in a landmark year for the Men’s National Team Program that will feature a record 19 international matches including FIFA World Cup Qualifiers and the Concacaf Gold Cup. Through 13 October, Canada have played 17 of those matches with a 11-4-2 record, eight clean sheets and a record 52 goals scored. Canada also set a record with eight consecutive wins and reached the Concacaf Gold Cup Semifinals for the first time since 2007.

Canada will play eight of their 14 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers in the Concacaf Final Round from September through November 2021: three matches in September, three matches in October, and two matches in November. In 2022, Canada will play three more matches in January/February and three more matches in March. Along with Honduras, USA and El Salvador, Canada’s other opponents in the Concacaf Final Round are Costa Rica, Jamaica, Mexico, and Panama.

To reach the Concacaf Final Round, Canada won their First Round group against Aruba, Bermuda, Cayman Islands and Suriname, then eliminated Haiti in a head-to-head Second Round series. This marks the first time since 1997 that Canada have reached the Concacaf Final Round of FIFA World Cup Qualifiers. From the Concacaf Final Round of eight nations, the top-three nations automatically qualify for the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™ and the fourth-best nation advance to an inter-continental playoff for additional FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™ Qualifiers.

Canada Soccer’s Men’s National Team are two-time Concacaf champions, previously winning the 1985 Concacaf Championship and 2000 Concacaf Gold Cup. This year marked Canada’s 15th participation at the Concacaf Gold Cup since 1991. Along with their first-place finish in 2000, Canada reached the Semifinals in 2002, 2007, and 2021. Across the past five years from 2017 to 2021, Canada are one of only four nations that finished top-six across all four Concacaf major tournaments: fifth place in Concacaf Nations League A, sixth place at both the 2017 and 2019 Concacaf Gold Cups, and a semi-final finish at the 2021 Concacaf Gold Cup.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 5:56 PM
ハルウララ

Electric City FC of Peterborough will join League 1 Ontario for 2022.

re: stadium

Quote:
The club is working in partnership with Hybrid Sports on a 74 Acre Sports Complex on the edge of Peterborough where they are building a world class multi-sport training facility, including a full-size indoor pitch and an exclusive ECFC soccer stadium, with brand new grass pitch, that the Club will call home. The full stadium is being built in stages over the next 3 years, with the grass pitch being ready for the team in the spring along with temporary seating and structures for 2022.
https://www.league1ontario.com/news_...e/show/1189500

ECFC has plans to compete at the highest levels in both men's and women's divisions, which would imply CPL aspirations on the men's side.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 6:52 PM

"Electric City FC" that name is awful

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 12:16 AM

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 1:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawrylyshyn View Post
"Electric City FC" that name is awful
It’s original at least. Most names are generic and yawn inducing. Others like Master’s Futbol just sounds ridiculous.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada