HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Sep 26, 2020, 5:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Hey they are going to allow outdoor restaurant and bar patios to stay open this winter in Ottawa!
It’s a plot to sell Canada Goose parkas.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2020, 8:58 PM

I talked to a bar manager who I know from frequenting the place pre-Covid.

He's trying to get an outdoor setup for this winter, but apparently cant find enough space heaters as everyone else is trying to do the same. He was negotiating with a local hockey rink to buy some of their old ones. Another niche product that will probably see a serious boost due to covid policies.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 1:26 AM

Informative article about the state of things in downtown DC. Not good. https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md...irus-recovery/

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 4:27 AM
REAL Kiwi!

Here in coastal California most restaurants have expanded outdoor dining and it will just stay that way with the benefit of good weather year round.

I really like the trend and imagine it is here to stay after covid vaccines.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 4:58 PM

What if all covid‑19deaths in the United States had happened in your neighborhood? Find out what would happen if your neighborhood was the epicenter of the coronavirus pandemic in the United States.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...id=hp_dontmiss

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO View Post
Here in coastal California most restaurants have expanded outdoor dining and it will just stay that way with the benefit of good weather year round.

I used to have lunch in SF with a friend once a week and he always wanted to sit outside. More outside seating, as long as it's covered for winter rain, is a good thing for people like him.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 7:36 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO View Post

kind of a no brainer in coastal cali. i’ve seen the same in missouri and kentucky which are states that can have decent enough weather to dine outdoors into december (or year round on random days really). always drives me crazy when the outdoor tables get chained up in october or something.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 5:47 AM
REAL Kiwi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
kind of a no brainer in coastal cali. i’ve seen the same in missouri and kentucky which are states that can have decent enough weather to dine outdoors into december (or year round on random days really). always drives me crazy when the outdoor tables get chained up in october or something.
I really have the thought that this will be the next push in restaurant design and urban planning to allow for it while mitigating loss of parking.

I think in colder areas there will be wind breaks and heaters and as pedestrian said perhaps some rain stop. It would still need to feel like your outside and be convertible when the weather is better..

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M II A II R II K View Post
What if all covid‑19deaths in the United States had happened in your neighborhood? Find out what would happen if your neighborhood was the epicenter of the coronavirus pandemic in the United States.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...id=hp_dontmiss
I am not in any way a covid 19 denier, but I thought this Wapo article was just plain stupid. It explains nothing, but it is good example of how desperate print media is to come up with new ways of telling a story to their online audience. I hate all these semi-interactive hybrid news articles that clutter up the Wapo and especially the NYT online editions. Just print the damn story. Give me the news and let me figure it out for myself.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 10:53 PM
devout Pizzatarian

i moved all of the haircut discussion to the skybar covid thread:

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=242287

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 2:36 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
I talked to a bar manager who I know from frequenting the place pre-Covid.

He's trying to get an outdoor setup for this winter, but apparently cant find enough space heaters as everyone else is trying to do the same. He was negotiating with a local hockey rink to buy some of their old ones. Another niche product that will probably see a serious boost due to covid policies.
I know a number of people in the bar/restaurant industry and yeah, they are next to impossible to find right now! We also had the bright idea to get one for our backyard to hang out with people outside the bubble but apparently so did everyone else. Should have got on that back in July during the heat wave.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 3:22 PM

NYC is starting to tick back up again. I heard that the city hit the 3% positive test benchmark yesterday, and if the 7-day rolling average is +3%, public schools automatically close. They're also starting to see an increase in hospitalizations again.

Quote:
New York City health officials are now reporting an overall increase in the number of coronavirus hospitalizations, another indicator that the virus is spreading faster.

The Department of Health did not provide a number, but according to the latest stats tweeted by Mayor Bill de Blasio, there were recently 61 coronavirus patients admitted to hospitals. Due to a reporting delays, the hospitalization data can be as much as a week behind.

In another alarming sign, the city's overall positivity rate is now nearly 2%, after hovering around 1% for weeks.

https://gothamist.com/news/coronavir...trictions-week
The focus is on the Hasidic Jewish neighborhoods in Brooklyn and Queens. The hasidic communities have been some of the most resistant to the face mask and social distancing mandates, as well as other measures by the government to control the outbreak.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 10:22 PM
你的媽媽

San Francisco Great Highway by Waymond Lee, on Flickr

Quote:
How the Great Highway became San Francisco's most unexpected promenade
Fiona Lee Published 11:43 am PDT, Friday, September 25, 2020

It’s about 3 p.m. on a brilliant and sunny Sunday, and a young boy tests out his bicycle, complete with training wheels, for the first time. Trailing behind him, his mother cheers him on. Three cyclists in their racing jerseys zoom past the family, a pair of roller skaters in their wake. What appears to be every dog in San Francisco romps along, enjoying the ocean breeze. As I walk along the concrete, I scan the Pacific Ocean in hopes of sighting a whale or a dolphin.

Welcome to the Great Highway, one of San Francisco’s most beautiful stretches in a city filled with picturesque scenery. When the pandemic shut down most of the city, much of the 3.5-mile road closed to car traffic and transformed into San Francisco’s newest promenade, one that hugs the edge of the continent and overlooks the sea — the Westside’s version of the Embarcadero.

As a resident of the Outer Sunset for the past seven years, I’ve long walked or biked the Great Highway, though usually on its parallel hiking trail. I know its landmarks: the historic Classical Revival-style bathrooms at Taraval and Judah that required $1.5 million in renovations (still, they are easily the best public bathrooms in San Francisco), the Mondrian house near Quintara and Great Highway, the Beach Chalet, the Cliff House, and the two windmills that peer out from Golden Gate Park.

https://www.sfgate.com/living-in-sf/...s-15597659.php

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 5:15 AM
Never Dell

Kind of like Lake Washington Boulevard in Seattle. https://www.google.com/maps/@47.5693...7i16384!8i8192

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 5:30 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

we went to fire island all weekend -- it was worrisome to go and then encouraging when we got there because everyone was masking.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
we went to fire island all weekend -- it was worrisome to go and then encouraging when we got there because everyone was masking.
Not sure where you landed on Fire Island, but there is this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo

or this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDRpotfWRk8

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 2:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
NYC is starting to tick back up again. I heard that the city hit the 3% positive test benchmark yesterday, and if the 7-day rolling average is +3%, public schools automatically close. They're also starting to see an increase in hospitalizations again.

The focus is on the Hasidic Jewish neighborhoods in Brooklyn and Queens. The hasidic communities have been some of the most resistant to the face mask and social distancing mandates, as well as other measures by the government to control the outbreak.
I dont think we have had 1 day below 3% since April.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 1:16 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
Not sure where you landed on Fire Island, but there is this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo

or this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDRpotfWRk8

yeah while it has that rep, fyi not all of fire island is for the gays. only two towns out of the many.

it seems like a lot of people are going for end of the season beachy staycations around the ny area.

the rockaways in queens are popular for an easy break:

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/r...ion/index.html

Old Posted Oct 4, 2020, 6:37 PM

NYC has sent a request to the state for permission to close schools and non-essential businesses in 9 zip codes located in Brooklyn and Queens. It is the city's first reversal in loosening of pandemic related restrictions:

Quote:
In Reversal, N.Y.C. Will Close Schools and Businesses in Hard-Hit Areas

Mayor Bill de Blasio announced on Sunday that he intended to “rewind” the reopening in nine neighborhoods in New York City that have had a testing positivity rate of more than 3 percent over the last seven days.

That means the closure of nonessential businesses, public and private schools and day care centers in those neighborhoods, which are in Brooklyn and Queens. Many of them have large populations of Orthodox Jews, and the virus has been spreading rapidly in those communities in recent weeks.

The mayor said he would also put lesser restrictions on 11 other neighborhoods where the rates are rising.

In total, the mayor’s plan would affect only 20 of the 146 ZIP codes in the city. Still, the move reflects the growing fear of a second wave of the virus, and marks the first major reversal in the city’s reopening since it was hit hard by the outbreak in March.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/04/n...zip-codes.html

Old Posted Oct 4, 2020, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
NYC has sent a request to the state for permission to close schools and non-essential businesses in 9 zip codes located in Brooklyn and Queens. It is the city's first reversal in loosening of pandemic related restrictions:
Lesson 4.7 on how humans work:

So you shut all the businesses in say a 10 x 12 block neighborhood/zip code. People in said zone walk/take the bus to the next area over (with zero adjustment in personal behavior of course) and begin to infect individuals in that area as well. In two to three weeks time there are 20 to 30 zip codes hitting 5% and so on and so on.

Any shutdown needs to be citywide for this reason.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions