HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted May 30, 2015, 1:00 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
\

Manhattan needs more upzonings not downzoning because it is in the best position to absorb the largest number of housing units. It's got the infrastructure and frankly it has the highest demand. Downzoning any part of Manhattan would just spread the unmet housing demand elsewhere in the city and beyond.
Its slowly happening even in areas that seemingly seem lowrise in nature. Barring Midtown and the highrise nodes, areas such as Harlem, Inwood, Washington Heights for example are seeing zoning increases by allowing developers to add "X" amount of floors to a new development. Example being a neighborhood where the average floor count is 6-8. The increase allows for an extra addition of 4 floors to an existing structure or if a new one is proposed, allowing for a 10-12 floor structure to be built.

It could be seen as a win for preservation groups because it will still keep the charm of low rise neighborhoods, but the change allows for more units and a higher density without building a 50 floor tower which would cause an uproar.

With Manhatten, also keep in mind conversions. Lots of old office buildings are being retrofitted with residential units.

Most of the growth though in terms of raw units is Queens and Brooklyn. Thats a given.

I don't think these groups pose a formidable threat. Sometimes its political, and a politician will side with them if its in his or hers district. But just like the shadow people on 57th, its all hot air.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 3:29 PM
N40° 46.8925', W073° 57.3

Midtown East Residents Decry 90-Story 'Ultra Luxury' Tower
http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2015/0...xury_tower.php

Quote:
It looks like Sutton Place will be getting a 900-foot-tall tower after all, much to the chagrin of neighborhood residents who say they were duped into thinking the Bauhouse Group's building wouldn't be taller than 30 stories, much less one of the tallest residential buildings in the city.

According to minutes spotted by NYDN for a December 22 meeting between the developer and residents of the co-op at 434 East 58th Street, who the developer courted for the building's air rights, a Bauhouse rep told the development site's neighbors that the firm was "unsure of the exact height" of the building but the tower would "not be 100 stories." At the time of the meeting, the development group had enough air rights to build a 13-story building. Residents of the old co-op at 434 East 58th Street ended up selling their air rights for $11 million. Although misleading, the rep was true to their word: the tower won't be 100 stories. Bauhouse's plans, accompanied by a new color rendering, call for a 90-story tower on the site of four six-story buildings at 426-432 East 58th Street.

The building's location in an area without height restrictions means the tower can be built as-of-right, or even grow taller.

A pamphlet advertising the building that surfaced in April says the tower will have 95 "ultra-luxury" apartments. It will also create 58,000 square feet of inclusionary housing, although it's unclear whether that will be on or off site. In March, Bauhouse sent out a press release saying that Norman Foster would design the tower, but that claim hasn't gained much traction meaning Foster might have bowed out.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 4:13 PM

I do not feel sorry for these people. If they didn't want a tower on their street, then they shouldn't have sold the air-rights. Simple as that.

Not to mention the design for this building looks rad.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 4:23 PM
BANNED

Also, they should have memorialized that their sale of air rights was contingent upon the developer limiting the new tower's height to x stories. They are full of it.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 4:52 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

I only count about 75 floors in that render, so I think '90 floors' was shorthand for for about 900 feet.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 6:54 PM

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2015/0...megatowers.php

Quote:
City Councilman Ben Kallos is adding his voice to the chorus of New Yorkers decrying the enormous megatowers that are popping up all over Midtown, and has announced that he will host a public forum on July 23 to discuss the idea of working on zoning changes that put a height cap on new buildings based on what neighborhood they're in. "If we create a city where every building is 200 stories tall, the only people who will get light are the people on the top floor," the councilman said. "Everyone else would live in the shadow of the rest." In particular, Kallos wants to limit the height of the Bauhouse Group's planned 426-432 East 58th Street, which is located in the Sutton Place neighborhood that he represents, and which the neighbors have already come out against.

Last edited by Hamilton; Jul 23, 2015 at 12:03 AM.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 8:55 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Old Posted Jul 23, 2015, 7:11 PM

I sorta wish this could just be built now with something similar to the currently teaser design.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2015, 8:34 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

This tower really seems to rattle those NIMBYS.

They will definitely be trippin' once this is rising.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 6:02 AM

There were trees at various heights on a new office building . .
It was built in the West 40s around about the late 80s . .
It was a brilliant idea until ALL the trees died . . .
and they just stood there for years - BROWN ! . . .
decorating the building with their testament of neglect . . .
I'm not saying that this will happen on this residential building . . .
I'm just saying . . .

Old Posted Jul 25, 2015, 11:59 AM

This is really a great looking tower. Whats the nearest subway? I guess the Lexington Ave E stop. At least till the 2nd ave line opens up.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2015, 12:23 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by artspook View Post
There were trees at various heights on a new office building . .
It was built in the West 40s around about the late 80s . .
It was a brilliant idea until ALL the trees died . . .
and they just stood there for years - BROWN ! . . .
decorating the building with their testament of neglect . . .
I'm not saying that this will happen on this residential building . . .
I'm just saying . . .
As long as they maintain it. All over the city there are trees on balconies and on roofs, right next to the mechanical. A tower such as this, like many other luxury enclaves, will make sure to trim and maintain these trees and plants. Remember, this project is not managed by the MTA or Port Authority, so things will get done, and on time!

Winter being the given, but I'm sure come spring and summer, it will be green. It would say a lot about a property if they can't even maintain any form of landscaping. No worries artspook, this is NY, and things will look neat and gorgeous.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2015, 3:56 AM

Nice to see that brain of yours . . .
literally crackling with optimism in that skull of yours Chris.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2015, 2:47 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by artspook View Post
Nice to see that brain of yours . . .
literally crackling with optimism in that skull of yours Chris.
You have to be. Life's too short to be pessimistic and angry all the time. Hence, why I don't get the anger that these citizens nearby have against tall towers. The idea that they are 1% and can afford to live in such a elite neighborhood should be enough to warrant happiness everyday.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2015, 9:47 PM
N40° 46.8925', W073° 57.3

Bauhouse Group assembles air rights to 3 Sutton for $38M Deal will net additional 109k buildable sf for controversial tower
http://therealdeal.com/blog/2015/08/....jkdloe0q.dpuf

Quote:
The Bauhouse Group recently assembled a block of development rights near its planned Norman Foster-designed condo tower at 3 Sutton place for almost $38 million, records show.

The Joseph Beninati-led development firm purchased air rights and easements from five different properties for $37.9 million, stockpiling an additional 109,000 buildable square feet to the development site it purchased at 428-432 East 58th Street.

The site, which overlooks the Queensboro Bridge, was purchased in January for $32.3 million, city records show. Bauhouse is looking to build a 90-story, 268,000-square-foot tower at the site designed by Foster & Partners, the architects behind Zeckendorf Development’s 50 United Nations Plaza, where a $70 million penthouse recently hit the market.

Bauhouse caught some flack a few weeks back when residents at 434 East 58th Street, one of the properties included the recent $38 million assemblage, claimed they were lied to about the size of the glass tower. Beninati reportedly told the sellers the tower would end up between 13 and 30 stories tall, but after they agreed to sell the air rights for about $11 million the company came out with plans showing a building reaching 90-stories tall. Neither Bauhouse nor the sellers could be immediately reached for comment.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2015, 12:55 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Beninati looks like a mob boss, as as such, should be a boss and make it this a supertall. This design is really nice, and its worthy of super tall status. The NIMBYs might of castrated Verre, but never again!

At 90 floors (objective), with the right base and mechanical, hoping this will be 300m. If not more. Taking advantage of the market key.

This might be Bauhouse Groups most ambitious project to date. Usually they build tons of midrises all over the city, but this is something unique.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2015, 3:56 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

To a new boss! Salute!

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Old Posted Aug 4, 2015, 3:58 PM

This will be a huge improvement for the East Side skyline. The Sutton Place cityscape needs updating, so this will be great.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2015, 1:22 AM

i'm struggling to understand why this one is controversial. And this come from the most brownstone neighborhood / lowrise friendly nyc resident on the site.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2015, 7:58 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive