HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Oct 2, 2020, 12:34 AM

Oregon Square office was just approved.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Oct 2, 2020, 3:05 PM

I visited the Lloyd Center about a year ago and it was a ghost of it's former self. I felt depressed the rest of the day. There were arcade style games plugged into wall outlets in an attempt to get a few extra dollars. Many of the retail spaces were filled with cheap pop-up stores. I never wanted to go back there after my last visit. I can't imagine that it will survive the pandemic.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2020, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbinWarrick View Post
In theory yes. But eventually terminal 1 when completed it’ll be a new Portland district that one day we’ll say “wow why didn’t anybody else think about this?” Yes right now it looks daunting but hey that’s the process to have something grand as their planning.

The lloyd center mall eventually can be anything you want it to be. It’s not hard to demolish it and redevelop it
Fighting through the required zoning change will be a huge battle for putting a stadium in an industrial sanctuary. As somone who has dealt with large-scale city planning I can tell you there are some major hurdles and opposition to overcome to make this happen. It's not impossible, but pretty damn close.

More here: https://www.portlandoregon.gov/bps/article/59602

Old Posted Oct 3, 2020, 6:34 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric cantona View Post
Fighting through the required zoning change will be a huge battle for putting a stadium in an industrial sanctuary. As somone who has dealt with large-scale city planning I can tell you there are some major hurdles and opposition to overcome to make this happen. It's not impossible, but pretty damn close.

More here: https://www.portlandoregon.gov/bps/article/59602
Of course it will. If they didn’t have assurance on the back end that maybe they know something we don’t know. Do you realize they are spending a shit load of money per month to keep the exclusive deal alive? Shockingly, the city council and the mayor have made it clear they support this plan and will do anything they can to help. Trust me they know something we don’t know to keep spending money per month to keep this thing alive

Old Posted Oct 3, 2020, 7:38 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbinWarrick View Post
The stadium is going to terminal 1. Plus the mall just finished a very expensive remodel. I doubt they’ll just demolish it after paying for that
Malls are malls, I have seen newly renovated malls get torn down shortly after. All renovations are are ways to cause people to shop and spend more money, if the renovation doesn't cause that, then it doesn't matter how much was spent on renovating it.

As for the stadium, until they break ground on the stadium, it can go anywhere. The terminal 1 location is more or less a stop gap site so that they can show they are serious to build this, show off designs of what a stadium would look like there until it comes time to build a stadium, then they will look for the best site for it to go. If there is a mall in the heart of the metro that is dying and is connected to the bulk of the transportation in the city, then the stadium is definitely going in the Lloyd District.

Think of it this way, the waterfront terminal site looks pretty in pictures, but the parking and transportation is a huge issue that would have to be funded by the baseball company, not the city, metro, or state. Building a stadium at the Lloyd Center site would make it much easier to propose the city/metro/state to pick up the cost of running a spur line off of the existing site into the stadium so that it can have gameday trains available and able to leave from the stadium heading out to their routes without it being a huge cost for anyone.

If we get an MLB team, which seems likely because of this pandemic, it will go at the Lloyd Center site.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2020, 8:20 PM

Having followed this thread since 2014, it's hard not to be disappointed with the project as it's currently proposed. I understand why AAT didn't want to move forward with a Hassalo II-type project, but this doesn't appear to help their placemaking strategy with the blocks they own in the Lloyd.

Also, I noticed the plans don't have any ground-floor retail. Is this only required along NE Multnomah? If they pursue the additional height scenario, will AAT need to go back in front of the Design Commission?

Old Posted Oct 5, 2020, 4:05 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamNorthwest View Post
Having followed this thread since 2014, it's hard not to be disappointed with the project as it's currently proposed. I understand why AAT didn't want to move forward with a Hassalo II-type project, but this doesn't appear to help their placemaking strategy with the blocks they own in the Lloyd.

Also, I noticed the plans don't have any ground-floor retail. Is this only required along NE Multnomah? If they pursue the additional height scenario, will AAT need to go back in front of the Design Commission?
Yea it shocks me with such valuable land and office space being downsized with work from home skyrocketing I would have held on to the land and saved it for residential space for the inevitable post Covid boom we will face down the road

Old Posted Oct 9, 2020, 5:29 AM

The DJC reports that the two block development would add anywhere from 413,697 square feet to 593,000 square feet of office space in the Lloyd District. That's an FAR of about 5 to 7. That's pretty remarkable and actually higher than most of the surrounding developments.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2020, 4:28 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_PDXer View Post
The DJC reports that the two block development would add anywhere from 413,697 square feet to 593,000 square feet of office space in the Lloyd District. That's an FAR of about 5 to 7. That's pretty remarkable and actually higher than most of the surrounding developments.
It’s only like 9 stories

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland