HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted May 8, 2014, 11:21 PM
Rational urbanist

Highlights for me included calling this tower "huge" in the first paragraph, as well as a commenter who believes that there should be a 3:1 ratio of built up blocks to parks downtown.

Old Posted May 8, 2014, 11:58 PM
More Towers

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
Highlights for me included calling this tower "huge" in the first paragraph, as well as a commenter who believes that there should be a 3:1 ratio of built up blocks to parks downtown.
So taking into Stanley Park we need a lot of new high rises.

Old Posted May 9, 2014, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCBoy View Post
Now we just need to add about 50 more metres...
50 more metres would make this already "huge" building basically a "supertall", and would undoubtedly block views of something for someone somewhere.

Old Posted May 9, 2014, 12:08 AM

I honestly hadn't heard about a plan for the Jubilee House site being added to Emery Barnes Park. Perhaps it was a long-term, notional aspiration, but it's not my understanding that there's an iron-clad rule on the books. With that said, I would love for the park to ultimately be a full city block in size.

There's a trade-off being made with this project. The land swap will create a much larger and higher quality - and permanent - affordable housing building, plus a large number of rental units, plus a daycare / Montessori school. Are all those things have to be weighed against other opportunities for the site and the public money that will inevitably be committed to the affordable housing building. In my opinion, honestly, I'd prefer a full-block park. But that wasn't the option on the table, so it's not a binary choice between this proposed development and an additional piece of the Emery Barnes Park. I do think that the land swap is a great opportunity for all parties and the tower will be to the northeast of the site, so the park won't be shadowed.

Old Posted May 9, 2014, 12:46 AM

That CBC video is just...

I cannot wait this and the public housing projects to go up. Both look exceptionally good and will surely add to the location. It's a very nice park, but it doesn't need to be bigger.

Old Posted May 9, 2014, 1:19 AM

Yup, I see NIMBYs whining about this project on Global news. I can't believe that they are complaining that Yaletown is "too" dense. Isn't it supposed to be? We should all band together and hold a pro-development gathering and protest against the NIMBYs, then get the media to come....

Old Posted May 9, 2014, 1:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post
I honestly hadn't heard about a plan for the Jubilee House site being added to Emery Barnes Park. Perhaps it was a long-term, notional aspiration, but it's not my understanding that there's an iron-clad rule on the books. With that said, I would love for the park to ultimately be a full city block in size.

There's a trade-off being made with this project. The land swap will create a much larger and higher quality - and permanent - affordable housing building, plus a large number of rental units, plus a daycare / Montessori school. Are all those things have to be weighed against other opportunities for the site and the public money that will inevitably be committed to the affordable housing building. In my opinion, honestly, I'd prefer a full-block park. But that wasn't the option on the table, so it's not a binary choice between this proposed development and an additional piece of the Emery Barnes Park. I do think that the land swap is a great opportunity for all parties and the tower will be to the northeast of the site, so the park won't be shadowed.
You can never have a full block for Emery Barnes simply because there is already heritage housing at the Seymour/Helmcken corner. This park is already a bonus for residents nearby, and those minority NIMBYs are just selfish spoilt brats, IMHO.

Old Posted May 9, 2014, 1:52 PM

This is a silly protest. However if Yaletown should be accepting more density without question, then certainly no other neighbourhood in Metro Van should complain either.

Old Posted May 9, 2014, 2:45 PM
dazzle me

vancouver violated its own bylaws?? i'm not up on the ins and outs of the case, but i don't think this has much of a chance of succeeding and seems more like a group trying to call attention to their concerns/rally others.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 2:43 PM

I don't recall if there is a separate thread for the replacement for Jubilee House across the street from 508 Helmcken - anyways, here is an excavation update (my photo from yesterday):

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 7:18 PM

I noticed the excavation on Sunday. They have been moving forward fast with this one!

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 9:43 PM

Thanks for posting.
I guess they need to relocate the Jubilee House residents before they can build the condos!

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 8:07 PM

Old Posted Aug 24, 2014, 11:14 PM

Luffing crane is now up on site.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 5:40 PM

^ here's a pic

Photo by PaulBrand https://www.flickr.com/photos/96577206@N06/

Old Posted Oct 12, 2014, 6:40 PM

Getting deep

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 4:07 AM

I love the Christmas decorated crane.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 11:26 PM

Unfortunate news. This tower was going to be a great addition to the yaletown neighborhood

http://www.vancouversun.com/judge+qu...762/story.html

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 11:33 PM

Ouch. That's gonna be expensive.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 11:42 PM

Thanks for posting.

This is a biggie:

Quote:
"The new assessments also seem to imply that instead of the land swap with Brenhill, the city could have rezoned its property at 508 Helmcken, sold it for fair market value to the highest bidder, and received nearly $60 (million) — more than twice the amount of CACs it received in the land swap with Brenhill. With the proceeds of selling 508 Helmcken at the current assessed ~$60M value, it could have built two new social housing buildings, not just the one at 1077/1099 Richards."
http://www.vancouversun.com/judge+qu...762/story.html

PS - maybe we'll get a more interesting building out of this (although the honeycomb grid was kinda cool).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver