HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Central Park Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 11:19 PM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

@NYGuy;

I do trust you didn't read any sort of nonchalance into my previous observation. It is tragic and always a prudent thing to ensure that folks walking 57th don't receive an unexpected and unwelcome surprise from above.....

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 2:34 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerton View Post

What are those things?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prezrezc View Post
@NYGuy;

I do trust you didn't read any sort of nonchalance into my previous observation. It is tragic and always a prudent thing to ensure that folks walking 57th don't receive an unexpected and unwelcome surprise from above.....
Just pointing out that it does happen.

pysun

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Jun 1, 2018 at 3:03 AM.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 6:20 AM
Architectural Junkie

I was just wondering in #5398, what is the name of the white and black (windows/terraces) building is? The windows are not lined up as in a traditional building, instead they different sizes and in different places. In this particular picture, the tower in question is right in front in the picture.
Thanks as always..........

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 1:20 PM
Astorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody Natario View Post
I was just wondering in #5398, what is the name of the white and black (windows/terraces) building is? The windows are not lined up as in a traditional building, instead they different sizes and in different places. In this particular picture, the tower in question is right in front in the picture.
Thanks as always..........
It's the building that replaced Roseland Ballroom. The link is below to the thread!

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=208661

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 8:11 PM
Architectural Junkie

Thank You NYCLuver!!! Much appreciated. I was in midtown last weekend.....first time in months only to see this sticking up proudly!
Beautiful building. There is something about it that is calling my name.....loudly!
I've been looking for a new place for nearly a year now (currently live on 24th On the High Line) and am SO sick of people standing there staring into my condo. When they take pics I close my blinds even though I hate doing that as it cuts the views. But come on.....look but NO PICS!!
Thanks again!! Now off to streeteasy.....

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 8:20 PM
Architectural Junkie

NYC GUY......I was wondering the same question so I asked one of the men coming out of the building with a small handheld scanner looking device. He said they were 'alignment rods' that allow workers above that particular area that stands out from the building to ensure the measurements are exact at the top of that section. Then he pointed around the corner and said more were on the opposite side just being installed. Went around to see three up....not like this though.

Supposedly they send up an ultraviolet light that is read with a scanner on top of the section. Mainly for placement of windows inside the framing. Said they are used on all new construction to ensure proper alignment.
I had never heard of them and I am very familiar with new construction.
As the smart ass walks away from me he goes "no matter how old you get, you learn something new every day.....right?"
And I'm 58!! LOL ass......

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 9:31 PM
Mr. Technology

Quote:
NYC GUY......I was wondering the same question so I asked one of the men coming out of the building with a small handheld scanner looking device. He said they were 'alignment rods' that allow workers above that particular area that stands out from the building to ensure the measurements are exact at the top of that section. Then he pointed around the corner and said more were on the opposite side just being installed. Went around to see three up....not like this though.

Supposedly they send up an ultraviolet light that is read with a scanner on top of the section. Mainly for placement of windows inside the framing. Said they are used on all new construction to ensure proper alignment.
I had never heard of them and I am very familiar with new construction.
As the smart ass walks away from me he goes "no matter how old you get, you learn something new every day.....right?"
And I'm 58!! LOL ass......
I’m also in my 50’s and thought that they looked like rolling guides.
Very cool info!!

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 3:38 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
NYC GUY......I was wondering the same question so I asked one of the men coming out of the building with a small handheld scanner looking device. He said they were 'alignment rods' that allow workers above that particular area that stands out from the building to ensure the measurements are exact at the top of that section.
OK, cool.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BjgR8wNg...-by=staceyvelz

https://www.instagram.com/p/BjgFZDMH...ergio.mora.art

https://www.instagram.com/p/BjgCQ_DD...y=olechka13.08

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2018, 3:14 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Jun 3, 2018, 2:34 PM

These are exciting times for us skyscraper enthusiasts. I don't know how many of you were already on this forum back in 2005, which was when I started posting, but back then NYC hadn't built a supertall since 1973 (Two World Trade Center), and the two supertalls being constructed (B. of A. and NYT) both relied on absurdly long spires to qualify as supertalls. Despite the "cheating" spires, I was happy that something was finally happening in the US, because at that time all the recent supertalls had been in Asia -- you can verify this by going to the Diagrams page to search for highrises exceeding 300 m that were built between 1995 and 2006. Then the North American skyscraper boom started. In NYC alone, three more supertalls have been completed since 2014 (One WTC, 432 Park Ave, One57), twelve are now under construction, and many more have been proposed. The only other city on the planet whose supertall construction rate rivals NYC's seems to be Shenzhen, China.

Last edited by pianowizard; Jun 3, 2018 at 5:23 PM.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2018, 10:01 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

A new skyline! Still has ways to go. 432 Park as a reference. On a side note, Vanderbilt can also be visualized using 432 Park, just imagine it much bulkier, and tapering.

Credit: nyc.tagged

Old Posted Jun 3, 2018, 10:16 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post
The only other city on the planet whose supertall construction rate rivals NYC's seems to be Shenzhen, China.
Indeed.

Just an idea.

The city (NY) has:

66 towers over 200m, and 7 of those super talls. If we add 100m+, we are #1 in the globe at a grand total of 823. We have 259 at 150m+.

Quite impressive.

Right now, the U.S. has 19 super talls complete. Note I said complete. China on the otherhand has 60 super talls. There are 2,632 towers over 100m in the U.S. as a whole. China as a reference has 2,334. So even though our rate of adding new towers is not as high, we still as a country excel in that category. If we add all the U.S. projects u/c, pound for pound, we are a skyscraper nation in a way.

AND BY A BIG MARGIN TOO.

Japan as a reference, #3, has 478 towers over 100m+.

Now in terms of NYC, we have complete:

1) 1 WTC
2) 432 Park
3) ESB
4) Bank of America
5) Chrysler Building
6) NY Times
7) One57

Under construction we have:

1) CPT
2) 111 W 57th
3) 1 Vanderbilt
4) 30 Hudson
5) 9 Dekalb
6) Verre
7) 45 Broad
8) 3 WTC
9) 35 Hudson
10) 1 MW
11) 50 Hudson

Whats going to start very soon:

1) Spiral
2) 247 Cherry (in 2019)
3) 262 Fifth Avenue
4) 3 Hudson (I believe)

So yeah... busy times! I have a feeling I'm missing something, so if I am, let me know. Can't think of it now.

NOW... can you imagine what our statistics would look like if we weren't such a sprawl nation. If a large chunk of residents and businesses where in the cities instead. Yeah... I know... it sucks to think about.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2018, 3:23 AM

This appears to have reached 1,000 feet. Is that so?

Save the SS United States!

Old Posted Jun 4, 2018, 3:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Saturn64 View Post
This appears to have reached 1,000 feet. Is that so?
Yes, around 1,050 feet tall right now

Old Posted Jun 4, 2018, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Under construction we have:

1) CPT
2) 111 W 57th
3) 1 Vanderbilt
4) 30 Hudson
5) 9 Dekalb
6) Verre
7) 45 Broad
8) 3 WTC
9) 35 Hudson
10) 1 MW
11) 50 Hudson

...I have a feeling I'm missing something, so if I am, let me know..
Nice summary on the current state of skyscrapers! I wrote that 12 supertalls were being constructed in NYC because I was simply counting the number of NYC threads on the "Supertall Construction" forum. But upon closer inspection, I realized I should have excluded 200 Greenwich (2 WTC) because it is on hold, so your tally of 11 is correct.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2018, 7:09 PM
New Yorker for life

Last edited by NYguy; Jun 4, 2018 at 7:35 PM.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 2:29 AM
BANNED

Despite my initial reservations about the simplicity of the design, the height alone will make up for any shortcomings. I am looking forward to seeing the 1500 foot wall of silvery glass glistening majestically over Central Park.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 3:15 AM
New Yorker for life

Any building called Central Park Tower should have great views both of and from Central Park. This tower will be very visible from and around the park (actually from around the whole city, but...)

JUNE 5, 2018

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 3:54 AM

Magnificent photos. The contrast between 220 and Nordstrom will be incredible when completed. 220 already looks like it belongs there.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive