HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 6, 2009, 6:25 PM

the old brennans was demolished, along with celia's at 4th and addison. this new project takes up the entirety of that block on 4th. brennans is now located in the old train station, (which used to be behind brennans).

i was actually planning on driving around today and taking shots of all the current berkeley projects, so its quite fortuitous that this article was just posted.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2009, 8:22 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Thanks Andrew! I look forward to your photo update. I haven't seen most of that stuff in quite awhile.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Jun 6, 2009, 11:49 PM

heres the downtown stuff:

the arpeggio:

and the rendering from curbed:

and the new freight & salvage mentioned in the article (thats the arpeggio in the background):

heres whats come up so far of the new trader joe's building at university and mlk:

the rendering from the same angle (from their website):

thought id put these up now, im about to drive down university to catch all the stuff not in walking distance of my place.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2009, 12:57 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Wow, Arpeggio went up fast. It doesn't seem like that long ago that I read about it being approved. Also, I didn't realize it would have a barrel-shaped roof. Thanks for the update.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Jun 7, 2009, 1:36 AM

yeah you cant tell at all from the rendering, given the only angle supplied.

other berkeley updates...

the fourth and university project:

couldnt find any renderings unfortunately.

and the new brennans i mentioned earlier:

condo project at san pablo and delaware (two blocks up from university):

theres also a project going up on university just above san pablo, but i couldnt get any good shots (not much to see yet, they just finished the underground garage and poured the ground floor).

Last edited by AndrewK; Jun 7, 2009 at 10:02 AM.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2009, 2:28 AM
Earthling

Wow, great pics, AndrewK! Berkeley is one of those places I've always felt that I'd enjoy living in but never have. I'll have to make it out there soon and check out some of those vibrant projects in person. There's some great density evolving there.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2009, 5:10 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Excellent! Thanks for including the new Brennan's too.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2009, 7:07 PM

Emeryville Marketplace, Emeryville, CA

Click Link for images. http://www.hellermanus.com/portfolio...%22%248L%20%0A

Site:
14 Acres
Total Size: 1,225,000 GSF
New Retail: 180,000 GSF
New Office: 120,000 GSF
New Residential: 700,000 GSF
New Res. Units: 674
Parking stalls: 2,300
New Construction: 1 million GSF
Existing Construction: 225,000 GSF

Mor information here: http://switchboard.nrdc.org/blogs/kb...certified.html

Old Posted Jun 22, 2009, 3:36 AM

that is pretty awesome. looks like the second phase involves building where the movie theater is now. anyone know the scoop on that?

Old Posted Jun 26, 2009, 5:06 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Friday, June 26, 2009
Housing lands near East Bay BART
San Francisco Business Times - by Blanca Torres

Right now, property next to the Pleasant Hill BART station is overrun with exposed plywood and construction crews. A year from now, it will be home to hundreds of new residents.

The site, a $149 million project developed by AvalonBay, will include 422 apartments and is among several projects sprouting up in East Bay cities once dominated by single-family homes. With space tight, residents want to be close to transit and amenities.

“Cities are looking to maintain their viability and increase attractiveness over time,” said Jeff White, senior development director with AvalonBay. “It’s being driven both by what customers want as well as environmental constraints ... that make it difficult to grow.”

Many cities are running out of fresh land for vast tracts of homes. The Greenbelt Alliance, a planning advocacy group, estimates that the Bay Area’s population will grow by 2 million by 2035 and the growth can be accommodated in existing cities.

“The foreclosure crisis really hit the hardest around the edges, where there was thoughtless development,” said Elizabeth Stampe, a spokeswoman for the alliance. “It makes sense to focus more resources where people are going to be and where people already are.”

Cities also want a broader mix of housing, said Chris Foss, Dublin’s assistant city manager. Dublin has added affordable rentals, market-rate rentals and for-sale units.

Earlier this year, AvalonBay opened a 439-unit project in Union City and last year leased up a 305-unit project in Dublin, both near BART stations. BART also has plans to develop property near stations in Walnut Creek, El Cerrito and Richmond.

In Concord, city officials envision a mixed-use development on the 12,800-acre former Naval Weapons Station, anchored by the nearby North Concord BART station.

Another element of the trend is demographics, said Bruce Dorfman of Thomson Dorfman, a San Rafael firm that has developed about transit-oriented 7,000 units in the Bay Area. One of the firm’s recent projects is 555YVR in Walnut Creek, an 87-unit project that is two blocks from a BART station.

“The target resident is a younger professional that wants different lifestyle choices,” Dorfman said.

btorres@bizjournals.com / (415) 288-4960
Source: http://sanfrancisco.bizjournals.com/...9/story14.html

Old Posted Jun 29, 2009, 5:51 AM
Earthling

(LEED Gold) Riverpark II completed in DTSJ

Riverpark Tower II in San Jose hits the market - bizjournals.com

Quote:
Twenty years after pouring the foundation for the second Riverpark Tower in downtown San Jose, Swinerton Builders finished the job on the twin tower using building materials stored for almost two decades in a Newark warehouse.

And because of Swinerton’s thriftiness, Legacy Partners’ Riverpark Tower II is on track to receive the coveted Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design Gold award from the U.S. Green Building Council.

Melanie Lapointe, Swinerton’s assistant project manager, said building the tower almost 20 years after its former owner Metropolitan Life Insurance Co. pulled the plug because of a poor real estate market was very rewarding.

And earning the environmental award largely by recycling all the old material is another feather in the builder’s cap. Lapointe said Swinerton managed to reuse almost every scrap of construction debris — an astounding 97 percent — with the help of GreenWaste Commercial Services and SIMS Metal Management.

Much time was spent determining what materials already in the ground had to be ripped up and what could remain. Lapointe said roughly 1,500 tons of previously poured concrete had to be demolished and recycled into aggregates because it failed to meet today’s building codes. But 3,000 tons already poured into the grade beams and pile caps did meet code.

While the steel stored in the warehouse by MetLife had to be recycled, the so-called curtain wall, which is the exterior aluminum and glass frame, was up to code and was used.

“These buildings were built 20 years apart,” she said, referring to Riverpark Tower I, “but they are identical.”

Riverpark II hits the commercial real estate market at a particularly low point. Vacancies across Silicon Valley are well into the double digits, and rents are low and still falling. It’s the same scenario that convinced MetLife to wait in the early 1990s and put construction plans on hold again in 1998.

In 2005, Legacy Partners bought the development site as well as the adjoining Riverpark Tower. Legacy started construction on the second tower in late 2007 just as the real estate office market was picking up steam only to crash in 2008. Consequently, no tenant has yet signed up for space inside the 16-story, 318,000-square-foot tower.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2009, 6:52 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Friday, July 10, 2009
Tagami group endorsed for Oakland Army base
San Francisco Business Times - by Blanca Torres

The selection of a master developer to redevelop a 135-acre portion of the former Oakland Army Base has reached a crucial point, but could take weeks or months for the Oakland City Council to finalize a decision.

After several rounds of vetting, an 11-member committee appointed by Oakland Mayor Ron Dellums picked a proposal from California Capital Group and AMB Property Corp., led by longtime Oakland developer Phil Tagami, over one that came in from Federal Development and Em. Johnson Interest.

The City Council will review the recommendation next week and could vote by the end of the month. Otherwise, it will take up the issue in September.

California Capital Group and AMB Property Corp. proposed a $572 million logistics, office and transportation project. The other proposal involves a $687 million mixed retail, office, research and development and hospitality complex.

““Our priority was to choose a proposal that complements and supports the (Port of Oakland’s) operations and the competitiveness of the port,” said Karen Engel, economic development director for the Oakland Metropolitan Chamber of Commerce, who served on the review panel. “It is very important that the infrastructure built on the site would be able to house and support companies that could create high-wage jobs.”

The committee included representatives from various business groups, labor unions, citizens groups, the mayor’s staff and the city’s Community and Economic Development Agency.

Engel said the committee came to a consensus early on in its discussions that retail was not the best use for the site.

“The city was very fortunate to have two excellent proposals given what has happened in the economy during the time it’s taken us to go though this process,” Engel said. “The fact that the variety of different stakeholder groups came to the same conclusion is the strongest endorsement.”

Michael Johnson, president of San Francisco-based Em. Johnson Interest, said his group plans to continuing making the case for its proposal at upcoming City Council and community meetings.

“We disagreed with a considerable amount of the conclusions that were in the staff report,” on the review committee’s recommendation, Johnson said. “We felt the report was written in a biased fashion to support our opponent’s proposal.”

Tagami’s team is also the top contender to redevelop the Port of Oakland’s 168-acre portion of the former Army base. His plan has been to combine the city and port’s parcels into one.

“We still have negotiate the deal,” Tagami said. “We’re very encouraged by the staff recommendation … . But, we still have a lot work to do.”

Proposals

Two groups pitched ideas in January for redeveloping the Oakland Army base.

CCG/AMB
Major elements: 506,000 square feet of industrial, loading and logistics space, 397,000 square feet of R&D space, 34,000 square feet of retail, 133,000 square feet for the Oakland Film Center, 205,000 square foot produce market, 1.15 million square feet of Class A office space, 16.5 acres of open space.
Jobs created: 3,288.
Cost: $572 million.

Federal Development/Em Johnson Interest
Major elements: 600,000 square feet of large format and outlet retail, 85,000 square foot entertainment facility, 700,000 square feet of R&D and office, 136,000 for the Oakland Film Center, 215,000-square-foot produce market, 25,000-square-foot art studio and gallery, 12,000-square-foot ferry landing, 30 acres of open space.
Jobs created: 4,266.
Cost: $687 million.

SOURCE: City of Oakland.

btorres@bizjournals.com / (415) 288-4960
Source: http://sanfrancisco.bizjournals.com/...13/story5.html

Old Posted Jul 10, 2009, 6:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
East Oakland Sports Center on track for 2011 arrival

The City of Oakland began construction on the $24 million East Oakland Sports Center. The 25,000-square-foot, two-level center is expected to open in early 2011 and will feature an indoor swimming pool, fitness center and dance studio.

“This project has been a long-time dream for the community,” said Oakland Councilmember Larry Reid, who spent close to 20 years on the project. “The new sports center will be a gathering place where Oakland residents have a great time and enjoy themselves.”

The property was formerly used for softball and soccer fields. Turner Construction is the contractor on the project, which was designed by Berkeley-based ELS Architecture and Urban Design. The building is expected to earn LEED Silver certification.
Source: http://sanfrancisco.bizjournals.com/...wscolumn1.html

Old Posted Jul 11, 2009, 10:23 PM
Earthling

Cash for straightening Julian Street boosts downtown S.J. project

A relatively small road project in DTSJ, may end up being the needed catalyst for numerous nearby projects:

http://www.mercurynews.com

Quote:
One of the last islands of blight in downtown San Jose could soon become the city's next luxury neighborhood. And that future could hinge on bringing back a large part of the area's past.
As soon as this fall, crews will take apart the high-speed swoop of Julian Street as it heads southwest toward Highway 87. They'll then begin restoring a pedestrian-friendly street grid that was erased 31 years ago to help shuttle cars to and from the freeway.

Money for the project — $24 million in expected state bond proceeds — was awarded to the San Jose Redevelopment Agency late last month. It will help kick-start plans for three residential high-rises, 100-plus townhomes and two new parks that otherwise may have languished amid the dismal economy.
In turn, those new homes could become a vital complement for an ambitious plan, led by former Mayor Tom McEnery and his family, to remake nearby San Pedro Square into an urban market akin to Seattle's Pike Place. The market, scheduled to open next summer, even has a development partner in common with the housing plan: Barry Swenson....
(cont'd @ link)

Old Posted Jul 12, 2009, 3:52 AM
Only Mostly Dead

I remember when that was a pretty well-used stretch of road. I guess traffic patterns have changed to the point that this is no longer the case. I'm a little nervous the funding is coming from the state. Hope it materializes.

The article says they'll widen St. James. I assume they'll be making it two-way up to at least San Pedro and maybe to Market to give people coming west on Julian a way to go.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2009, 4:13 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
I'm a little nervous the funding is coming from the state. Hope it materializes.
His quote says the money is bond proceeds. Bond money can only be spent in accordance with the bond indenture. That is, if they are (just as an example ) high speed rail bonds, the money can only be used for high speed rail as defined by the documents with the bonds. So I assume this money is coming from highway or other bonds for a specific purpose and the state can't divert the money to fix its general fund problems.

Incidentally, the main impact the state's budget issues would have on infrastructure bonds if they are revenue bonds with defined revenue stream is that, due to the rating agencies pretty much trashing all CA bonds, the interest would be higher than it would have been and also it's possible the demand could be less (though, in fact, I keep reading the smart money understands that CA's constitution gives debt service second priority after school funding for whatever income the state gets and, by one analysis, the state has $54 billion available to cover about $6.5 billion of annual debt service--that is, $54 billion not pledged to school funding K through university).

Old Posted Jul 12, 2009, 5:22 PM
Only Mostly Dead

I read the part about being funded through bonds and untouchable by the general fund, but I don't know much about the bond process. I just have a general sense of unease with anything related to budget and the state. But from what you said, it sounds like my fear is not totally unfounded. If the state felt that they would have to pay too high an interest rate on the bonds, couldn't it decide not to proceed at this time?

Old Posted Jul 12, 2009, 6:03 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
I read the part about being funded through bonds and untouchable by the general fund, but I don't know much about the bond process. I just have a general sense of unease with anything related to budget and the state. But from what you said, it sounds like my fear is not totally unfounded. If the state felt that they would have to pay too high an interest rate on the bonds, couldn't it decide not to proceed at this time?

Yes, but it's more complicated. First of all, it's part of the job of the State Treasurer to try to issue the bonds at the most advantageous time. In CA, that clearly would not be until the budget mess is patched and, hopefully, the rating agencies have boosted us back to at least an A rating (currently, we are BBB). Secondly, for a large project like HSR, they almost never issue all the bond at once. Usually, they issue them as money is needed so there's plenty of time to sell those billions.

Finally, there's a new wrinkle--things called "Build America Bonds" that most people have never heard of but states and bond investors know well. These are part of the Obama "stimulus" program and are transforming the municipal bond market: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124023363063234893.html

Exerpt:

Quote:
BABs (Build America Bonds) are part of the federal stimulus plan and provide a 35% rebate on interest costs to issuers or a tax credit to investors, at the issuer's discretion. While a BAB could draw a higher taxable financing cost to the issuer than a tax-exempt bond, the 35% federal government giveback turns it into a lower borrowing rate.

"By placing a large issuer's paper in the taxable market, BABs can free up capacity for the [same issuer] in the tax-exempt buyer base," Bank of America's Merrill Lynch muni analysts said in a report on Monday. "In addition, in the short run, BABs reduce the supply of bonds in the tax-exempt area."

When issued in large amounts and structured differently than the typical municipal bond, these securities could attract nontraditional muni investors, such as pension funds and foreign governments.
I'd love to get ahold of some of these for my IRA, actually. And the reduction in the supply of traditional tax exempt munis is having a significant effect by increasing the price of regular muni bonds (and thereby lower the interest rates).

Old Posted Jul 12, 2009, 10:40 PM

Here is a website that goes along with this story: http://www.sanjosepublicmarket.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftopolis View Post
A relatively small road project in DTSJ, may end up being the needed catalyst for numerous nearby projects:

One of the last islands of blight in downtown San Jose could soon become the city's next luxury neighborhood. And that future could hinge on bringing back a large part of the area's past.

As soon as this fall, crews will take apart the high-speed swoop of Julian Street as it heads southwest toward Highway 87. They'll then begin restoring a pedestrian-friendly street grid that was erased 31 years ago to help shuttle cars to and from the freeway.

Money for the project — $24 million in expected state bond proceeds — was awarded to the San Jose Redevelopment Agency late last month. It will help kick-start plans for three residential high-rises, 100-plus townhomes and two new parks that otherwise may have languished amid the dismal economy.
In turn, those new homes could become a vital complement for an ambitious plan, led by former Mayor Tom McEnery and his family, to remake nearby San Pedro Square into an urban market akin to Seattle's Pike Place. The market, scheduled to open next summer, even has a development partner in common with the housing plan: Barry Swenson....
(cont'd @ link)

http://www.mercurynews.com

Old Posted Jul 13, 2009, 5:28 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Thanks for all the background info, BT. I appreciate you taking the time to explain this to a novice like me.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations