HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 10:09 PM

EDINA, MN | Estelle Edina | 360 FT | 20 & 24 FLOORS

My first construction post, please edit if I didn't do something right! No height I can find now.

This is a wealthy but suburban area of Minneapolis. There are a few tall buildings around (8-15 floors), but these will seriously make a mark for the area.

Seeing these get built would be impressive, this is the site for the first indoor mall in America (maybe the world?), and is a poster child of 'suburbia'. These new projects are a reality of a hot market and people wanting to live in this area.

Link to story: http://www.startribune.com/two-condo...ina/422548054/

Image from Star Tribune:

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 12:35 AM

Height of tallest tower is 360 ft. Technically this is in a seperate city from Minneapolis so the title should be
Quote:
EDINA, MN | Estelle Edina | 360 FT | 20 & 24 FLOORS
If built this would be the second tallest suburban building in the Twin Cities metro following the 8500 tower in nearby Bloomington which is 381 feet.

Last edited by ArcCrypts; May 17, 2017 at 12:46 AM.

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 12:49 AM
Show me the blueprints

Always glad to see suburban highrises. Why should Canada have all the fun?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 2:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcCrypts View Post
Height of tallest tower is 360 ft. Technically this is in a seperate city from Minneapolis so the title should be

If built this would be the second tallest suburban building in the Twin Cities metro following the 8500 tower in nearby Bloomington which is 381 feet.
Thanks, if someone wants to edit, please do so. I know it is Edina, I thought there was some liberties taken with city names for people not living in these places.

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 9:32 AM
YIMBY co-founder

I updated the thread title.

The towers look good, real good. The podium floor as well. The surroundings look 100 car-oriented & not ment for people. Which is hardly this projects fault, but still looks off to nme to build this tall just to have such big parking lots around it.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 1:44 PM
Show me the blueprints

I would imagine the town has a long term vision plan of redveloping towards a denser, urban and walkable area, focused on the arterials.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 6:33 PM

Nice proposal Edina! This has got to be embarrassing for Minneapolis....They have a hard time getting 25 story buildings built!! 200 Central (42 stories) in Minny just keeps getting pushed back, delays and all that city BS!

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 1:48 AM

Well, here come the NIMBY's!

http://www.startribune.com/edina-cou...ion/427094031/

Good news is the city (the ultimate approvers) like the project, so just a case to see if they can keep the height or not. Or maybe the 20/24 floors was never serious, and they would 'settle' for 16/20 or something, which is what they actually wanted.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 4:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenratboy View Post
Well, here come the NIMBY's!

http://www.startribune.com/edina-cou...ion/427094031/

Good news is the city (the ultimate approvers) like the project, so just a case to see if they can keep the height or not. Or maybe the 20/24 floors was never serious, and they would 'settle' for 16/20 or something, which is what they actually wanted.
Yea, I'm not expecting this to be built at the current height. It's probably gonna be closer to the Westin's height. Edina NIMBY's are crazy. I remember 200 Central had some NIMBY's that lived in Edina. A tower in Minneapolis being attacked by an Edina NIMBY. The city itself didn't seem to like the height as well though. BizJournal Link

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 4:40 AM

Nice towers for Edina!! Too Bad Minneapolis can't seem to build anything taller than 280-300'!

Old Posted May 1, 2018, 1:13 PM

Cancelled

Edina rejects height change for residential towers project

* Oct. 18th, 2017

Quote:
Edina leaders have rejected a proposal to build what would be the tallest residential towers in the city, a $250 million project that would have transformed a critical corner across from the Southdale and Galleria shopping centers.

The City Council turned down a request by Ryan Companies to loosen caps on building heights and density to permit the proposed high-rise condos, after a marathon public hearing that stretched past 1 a.m. Wednesday.

Council members said they were impressed with the look of the towers, and said they could see it in another part of town. But most were concerned about its impact on homes west of France Avenue.

“While it’s a beautiful project, the intensity is just too high for the location,” Council Member Mary Brindle said.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive