HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jun 13, 2009, 8:22 AM

Old Posted Jun 13, 2009, 8:38 AM

What a difference!

Congrats Penguins Fans!

And to think Pittsburgh was on the threshold of no longer having a hockey team.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2009, 1:38 AM

It's a Great Day for Hockey!

Old Posted Jun 16, 2009, 7:25 PM
Administrator

The Igloo is a neat arena, but the new one will be so much better. Hopefully I'll be able to get up that way and see a game in the new place someday.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2009, 11:50 PM

shouldn't this thread be renamed to Consol Energy Center??
"A couple of years ago, a couple of geniuses put on something called Woodstock Festival. It was a tragedy. Groups recognised that they could go into larger cattle markets, play less time and make more dollars. What they've done is to destroy the rock industry."- Bill Graham

Old Posted Jun 17, 2009, 12:19 AM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

One of my dreams was to see the Penquins win the cup. I just cannot believe it.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2009, 3:53 PM
Unpolitically Correct

Great updates Burgh15, thanks.

The new Consol Energy Center is going to be kick-ass, I'll miss The Igloo though. But, it must go.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2009, 12:20 AM
Eurosceptic

Video: Stanley Cup Visits Arena Construction Site

http://kdka.com/video/?id=59941@kdka.dayport.com

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 8:12 PM

Anyone have any photos of the progress? Those of us that are out of town would love to see...

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstrosFreak View Post
Anyone have any photos of the progress? Those of us that are out of town would love to see...
Not pictures, but here's a construction site cam...

New Arena Cam

Old Posted Aug 2, 2009, 11:58 PM

Old Posted Aug 3, 2009, 12:39 AM

Nice pictures. They are really making progress on the arena.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2009, 1:51 PM

Thanks for the update, Gilamonster!

Old Posted Aug 15, 2009, 8:02 AM

Structural steel is done as the arena is now topped off.

http://www.individual.com/story.php?story=105350453

Old Posted Aug 15, 2009, 2:45 PM
ledru rollin

I was there a few months ago and this is quick progress, looks great! I walked with my dad around it (he lives in Shaler, just above Millvale). Excuse me if this has been answered in this thread, but what will become of the old Civic Arena? My parents have lived there nearly 20 years (yes, I'm old) but my dad didn't know. For me, when visiting, the Igloo has been an icon because I usually arrive on Amtrak from NY.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2009, 7:33 AM

This was the topic of a piece to the current Pop City:
http://www.popcitymedia.com/features/arena0812.aspx

I wish it could be repurposed, but I don't think it's current location is ideal. My idea (yeah, nobody asked but I'm gonna tell you anyway!) is to make it a massive, high profile Farmer's Market further from the Strip (so as not to compete) to showcase SW Penn's farms and dairies. It could have a small Rachel Carson-y spin to it--a small, permanent exhibition on local produce and sustainable food production and maybe another demonstration area for cooking that would attract visiting chefs. The retractable roof would tie in nicely.
Food is not a Pittsburgh preoccupation and I'm pretty tired of hearing that all we are known for is chipped ham and french-fries-on-sandwiches. The restaurant scene is not up the standards of a city of our size or heritage (and really, this is important when attracting talent from around the country), so if the Mellon Arena could be put in the service of this, I think we'd kill two birds with one stone.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2009, 4:05 PM

The old arena is slated for demolition. I hope it is an implosion. However, Mellon Arena still has over a year of life left because it has to go through one more hockey season. A contract has not been awarded yet due to that time frame and also we still have to go through the obligatory crying and possible legal battles from the preservationists and the Pittsburgh History & Landmarks Foundation.

http://www.preservationnation.org/ma...ttsburghs.html

Old Posted Aug 18, 2009, 5:41 PM

I say remove the roof entirely, remodel it and turn it into a venue for large scale outdoor concerts and other events. Then take a few pieces from the roof and build a memorial with them for hockey fans either outside Mellon Arena or outside Consol Energy Center.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2009, 12:08 AM
Eurosceptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstoner View Post
Food is not a Pittsburgh preoccupation and I'm pretty tired of hearing that all we are known for is chipped ham and french-fries-on-sandwiches. The restaurant scene is not up the standards of a city of our size or heritage (and really, this is important when attracting talent from around the country)
I STRONGLY disagree with this... this is one of those yinzer stereotypes about Pittsburgh... all we eat is chipped ham and Primanti's sandwiches... I've never even seen f#*king chipped ham... Stamooli Brothers, Pennsylvania Macaroni Co., Sunseri, and the many other markets in the Strip District is one huge example demonstrating that food is an integral part of the Pittsburgh experience. If you live here in the city of Pittsburgh... you know you can't walk 2 minutes without running into great food... it's not 1985 anymore.

As for Mellon Arena... destroy it... save a slice of it for some museum... reconnect the street grid from the Hill District to Downtown... and put some dense mixed-use development on the 28 acres that are now occupied by this gigantic architectural anachronism and its associated parking lots.

Burgh15: You have exceeded your bandwidth.

Last edited by Evergrey; Aug 25, 2009 at 12:21 AM.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2009, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
I STRONGLY disagree with this... this is one of those yinzer stereotypes about Pittsburgh... all we eat is chipped ham and Primanti's sandwiches... I've never even seen f#*king chipped ham... Stamooli Brothers, Pennsylvania Macaroni Co., Sunseri, and the many other markets in the Strip District is one huge example demonstrating that food is an integral part of the Pittsburgh experience. If you live here in the city of Pittsburgh... you know you can't walk 2 minutes without running into great food... it's not 1985 anymore.

As for Mellon Arena... destroy it... save a slice of it for some museum... reconnect the street grid from the Hill District to Downtown... and put some dense mixed-use development on the 28 acres that are now occupied by this gigantic architectural anachronism and its associated parking lots.

Burgh15: You have exceeded your bandwidth.
Any article on Pittsburgh that I come across that mentions food, mentions chipped ham and Primantis. I've never had either and have no intention of starting now--I was merely saying that that is the image of Pittburgh cuisine.

That being said, I have to really disagree with you about the quality of food in Pittsburgh. It is not up to snuff. I love the Strip, and there are several places in town I really like, but the restaurant scene is very poor compared to cities of similar size. In my several, recent one-week trips to Pittsburgh I cannot say I found a memorable meal. When I lived in Pittsburgh, I thought the same thing (my family is in the restaurant business, so I look for these things). I hate Atlanta with every fiber of my being, but I can't fault the place for its restaurants.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development