HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion

Old Posted Dec 26, 2008, 6:00 PM

Best Gift??

OK so every on spill, what was the best, most unique, most creative, most outlandish, etc gift you received this Christmas?

Old Posted Dec 26, 2008, 9:41 PM

Several years back I got a Crown Royal bottle 'empty' with candle wax poured on it in different colors...I just did'nt get it!? maybe I'am not the artistic type!lol! I was holding it as if to say....ok..what do I do with it!

Old Posted Dec 26, 2008, 10:10 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWarrior View Post
Several years back I got a Crown Royal bottle 'empty' with candle wax poured on it in different colors...I just did'nt get it!? maybe I'am not the artistic type!lol! I was holding it as if to say....ok..what do I do with it!
You should have taken the candle out and put a lit firecracker in it then put candle back in bottle and gave it back to them. joking

Old Posted Dec 30, 2008, 1:27 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Well, I've had two gifts this year for which I am extremely grateful for.

The first was mostly paid for by myself (Merry Christmas Me), but my family all knew I wanted to get it, so rather than random gifts, they all chipped in towards.

It's pretty outlandish, but I LOVE it!!

(Image from the product site)

It's my new Digital Reader 1000S. It's more than just an ebook reader, it's a large format ePaper device. I can "print" documents and webpages to it and read them, just as easily as if I'd printed them onto paper. Most eBook readers are actually too small for A4 pages, but this renders them beautifully

I'm currently studying for a Microsoft () cerification and the text books are HUGE, thousands of pages thick and to carry them around with me, has been a bit of a back breaker. Luckily, each textbook comes with the entire book as a PDF, which would be fine to read on my laptop, however my eyes become tired quickly and my work laptop's battery is truly dire. However, my DR1000 renders them brilliantly at a fraction of the weight and I have them all at hand!

Other uses so far....

I have to admit that I'm a truly terribly mental multitasker (it's a guy thing apparently). Some people can watch television and read websites at the same time and miss nothing from either. Me, if I watch TV and try to read a website, I tend to miss what's happening on screen. However, I was able to watch TV and page by page print RTH's most recent issue into PDFs and save them onto the DR1000. I enjoyed RTH on the tube this morning as my read to work

And it's a fantastic large format eBook reader. If anyone's gone to FeedBooks or ManyBooks, there you will find a treasure trove of literary classics, available free to download long past its copyright expiry. I've already download my favourite work of classical fiction, "Pride and Prejudice", and as well as Austen, I've also downloaded some Dickens, Dumas, Wodehouse, Benson and other classics I've long wanted to read, but never bothered to check out of the library.

The second, hasn't yet been confirmed, but has the potential to have a huge impact upon my life. My Mum has finally, openly, committed to the move to Hamilton! My step-father was always the one to persuade and this was proving difficult. My mother never openly endorsed the move, preferring to sit quietly on the fence in a very annoying manner, leaving it to my brother and I to make the case to our step-father. I think the fact that the house next door to my brother's is potentially available to buy and she wants to be next door to current and future grandchildren (something both my brother and his wife think is great - free babysitting), has prompted her to suddenly become more vocal in her support. If she gets him to commit too and that house does come on the market and they buy it, then I shall join them in their move Fingers crossed.

Anyway, back to Mr Darcy's contemplation of Miss Bennet's fine eyes....

Old Posted Dec 30, 2008, 4:48 PM

Another Hamilton success story! Great news Omro.

My best gift was to myself - leaving Bell Sympatico Internet and Bell Telephone for Teksavvy. Same services, but much cheaper and no ball-and-chain contract. I don't want to make this into a commercial, but here is their website: http://www.teksavvy.com
Also they are an Ontario company in business for over 10 years and have great customer service.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2008, 8:51 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam View Post

My best gift was to myself - leaving Bell Sympatico Internet and Bell Telephone for Teksavvy. Same services, but much cheaper and no ball-and-chain contract. I don't want to make this into a commercial, but here is their website: http://www.teksavvy.com
Also they are an Ontario company in business for over 10 years and have great customer service.
Useful to know, my sister-in-law literally had a big fight with Bell today, so I've passed this information on to her!

Old Posted Dec 30, 2008, 8:57 PM

omro,

A very slick gift. Your family must really like you

Old Posted Dec 30, 2008, 10:06 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairHamilton View Post
omro,

A very slick gift. Your family must really like you
Well, they didn't pay for all of it, but a large enough chunk....

I have to say I love it more and more each time I use it.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2008, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam View Post

Acanac is better as long as you can pay upfront for a year and can deal with mediocre to OK service.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2008, 10:41 PM

Yeah, I didn't want to get locked into a contract and have to deal with bad customer service. That was my situation that made me leave Bell. You get 5 mbps service with Teksavvy, that's the fastest you can expect with any provider I believe.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2008, 10:51 PM
It's Hammer Time

Got money to go on a nice vacation. I'm going to place names of cities in a hat and pick one out to detemine where to go. Other than that loving my lady gaga cd haha.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2008, 11:12 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Got money to go on a nice vacation. I'm going to place names of cities in a hat and pick one out to detemine where to go. Other than that loving my lady gaga cd haha.
Maybe you should start a poll and let the SSP people pick your holiday destination for you

Old Posted Dec 30, 2008, 11:25 PM
It's Hammer Time

I won't be able to take a vacation until mid spring or summer. I have to wait so many months before taking any vacation time. So far I'm thinking....

Sydney
Auckland
Venice
Amsterdam
Zurich
London

Old Posted Dec 31, 2008, 12:33 AM

Quote:
I won't be able to take a vacation until mid spring or summer. I have to wait so many months before taking any vacation time. So far I'm thinking....

Sydney
Auckland
Venice
Amsterdam
Zurich
London
All very urban, so I'll throw in a naturalist alternative. In a single word, Galapagos.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2008, 10:13 AM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:

Sydney
Auckland
Venice
Amsterdam
Zurich
London
Having lived with two aussies from Sydney and hearing all about it, that gets my vote.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2008, 2:49 PM
Needs more coffee...

best gift received.. a few handmade things brought back from british columbia by my sister.

best given -- this week my siblings, my husband, and myself are doing an entire bathroom renovation for my parents - new electrical, plumbing, drywall, floor, fixtures... everything start to finish. its beautiful (and practical!) i love doing this stuff.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2008, 4:57 PM
It's Hammer Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by omro View Post

(Image from the product site)
I just have to say it's amazing how many things have been inspired from Star Trek.

That's another thing, I plan to use my Cineplex movie ticket for the new Star Trek movie in May haha

Old Posted Dec 31, 2008, 5:10 PM
Closed account

Best gift received: an afternoon of dogsledding on the frozen lakes outside Yellowknife.

Best gift given: flew my family at ridiculous expense to spend Christmas and my sister's birthday with her in Yellowknife.

Will try to post some pics when I get back, but not sure I'll have many that are skyscraper-worthy. At -35 it's too f*cking cold to hold a camera, let alone do much walking around. Too bad. It's an interesting town.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion