HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Nov 3, 2021, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonald's Racoon View Post
Not sure how to feel about the 3 repeating buildings in the middle. Two of them seem to have a connected podium but the third seems to have no connection.
They have since revised those buildings.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2021, 1:19 PM

It looks fine, although we all know a Claridge development never ends up looking anything like the renders. I wouldn't want to live there though. It's like a larger version of Frontier in Gloucester.

Old Posted May 26, 2022, 10:32 PM

Looks like a sales centre or some-kind of structure is going up outfront

Old Posted May 27, 2022, 6:58 PM

What is really needed for this development is having ground retail for every one of those towers and probably office space for some of the buildings. They have a chance to create a really proper walkable community that has everything it needs within walking distance.

I doubt that'll happen but hopefully the varied heights with that 40F building is still in the plans.

Old Posted May 31, 2022, 1:48 PM

Especially if the large lot fronting carling (Canadian Tire) will also be up for redevelopment.

Old Posted May 31, 2022, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
Especially if the large lot fronting carling (Canadian Tire) will also be up for redevelopment.
Has the Canadian Tire moved out yet? I know they were planning on moving to carlingwood.

Old Posted May 31, 2022, 4:13 PM

I would love to see the old Canadian Tire converted into Ottawa's first Cineplex Rec Room, maybe a hybrid location with a new Movie Theatre. It'll never happen, but it would be nice!

Old Posted May 31, 2022, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
I would love to see the old Canadian Tire converted into Ottawa's first Cineplex Rec Room, maybe a hybrid location with a new Movie Theatre. It'll never happen, but it would be nice!
I was saying that in the Lebreton thread, Ottawa would definitely benefit from a Rec Room (suggested they find a way to put one there). It's odd they haven't planned one in a central area in Ottawa either because it's in Winnipeg, London, Edmonton, and Calgary.

Really odd.

Old Posted May 31, 2022, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
Has the Canadian Tire moved out yet? I know they were planning on moving to carlingwood.
Not yet.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2022, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Never heard of that before, but please build that at LeBreton. Downtown is staving for entertainment options outside bars, restaurants and museums.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2022, 12:16 AM
Busy Beaver

I noticed they plunked a trailer that looks like what will be a presentation centre at the site. It still has Timberwalk (in Kanata) written all over it — Claridge owns Riverstone Retirement Communities which built that development.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2022, 1:58 PM

Not sure how I feel about this project. On one side I like the added density and units and the fact it's replacing an old, underused site in central Ottawa.

But on the other hand it's in a really weird spot. It's not near the LRT or the transitways (but fine, there are some busses going down Carling).

And without even mentioning the Queensway, (I get it, it's getting more common to build next to highways and it's very common in Toronto), the location is just really weird. It's nowhere near anything cute or lively - mostly a sea of asphalt and light industrial / commercial buildings.

If you had this same project but on the side of the 417 closer to Catherine St downtown, I could get the appeal but in this location? It will either have to be built up VERY slow OR have very discounted prices or rents... Plus the big Canadian Tire is poised to close & move soon too!

Old Posted Jul 18, 2022, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
Not sure how I feel about this project. On one side I like the added density and units and the fact it's replacing an old, underused site in central Ottawa.

But on the other hand it's in a really weird spot. It's not near the LRT or the transitways (but fine, there are some busses going down Carling).

And without even mentioning the Queensway, (I get it, it's getting more common to build next to highways and it's very common in Toronto), the location is just really weird. It's nowhere near anything cute or lively - mostly a sea of asphalt and light industrial / commercial buildings.

If you had this same project but on the side of the 417 closer to Catherine St downtown, I could get the appeal but in this location? It will either have to be built up VERY slow OR have very discounted prices or rents... Plus the big Canadian Tire is poised to close & move soon too!
I had similar sentiments at the beginning of the thread

Quote:
This has to be the most bizarre project I have ever seen in this city and that's saying something. Not near rapid transit, zero walkability, no neighbourhood amenities, highway noise, views of a sea of warehouses... I can not understand the justification for this project...

Old Posted Jul 18, 2022, 6:18 PM

Hoping the City can ramp up service along Carling with the significant density going up all around and to better connect the two (or I guess three) O-Train lines. We also desperately need better service to the Civic (old and new).

Carling has potential to become something decent with the right (road) diet and eventually a streetcar.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2022, 7:04 PM
Busy Beaver

Yeah, the area is not pretty (some might say downright ugly) but it does have a lot of potential. When Carling gets bus priority and cycling facilities, it could change the character of this neighbourhood. There are already a couple of developments happening across the avenue.

This site is 1.5 km from Westboro Village and you can walk that distance in 15 minutes or bike it in 5 along Churchill which was the city’s original demonstration “complete street”. With some intersection modification at Carling and the continuation of the street treatment south into this development’s pathways, it will pivot the perceived entry away from the industrial grunginess of Clyde Avenue. I wouldn’t be surprised if Clardge pushes for a Churchill Avenue principal address

There’s actually a lot of food options here compared to other places with high-rise clusters like Lees or Hurdman. Recreation wise there’s an ice rink, baseball fields, a mountain bike pump track and toboggan hill practically at your doorstep. If you’re Jewish, there’s a concentration of religious and cultural institutions nearby. Not to mention there’s already a considerable number of offices and employment in the vicinity. Aside from the buses on Carling, a 6 minute ride on the #50 will take you to the future Westboro LRT station.

I dunno, this might be a diamond in the rough, especially if the units are priced right.

Last edited by Kitchissippi; Jul 18, 2022 at 7:28 PM.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2023, 2:01 PM

If Claridge is also the new owner of the Canadian Tire land, I wonder if they'll try and integrate the two developments (i.e. rejig the location of podiums, low-rise buildings, etc.), and maybe even add some considerable commercial space (like grocery, shops and restaurants)? They could pretty much build a mini self-contained village here with most of the amenities.

Follow me:
YouTube - Greybeard Adventures
Instagram - @ejb_greybeard

Old Posted Apr 4, 2023, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcologist View Post
If Claridge is also the new owner of the Canadian Tire land, I wonder if they'll try and integrate the two developments (i.e. rejig the location of podiums, low-rise buildings, etc.), and maybe even add some considerable commercial space (like grocery, shops and restaurants)? They could pretty much build a mini self-contained village here with most of the amenities.
Has Claridge ever hired Hobin though? I can't think of any examples.

Edit: this site is being developed by Rio-Can, who have taken almost a decade to build a single tower at Westgate across the highway.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa