HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Apparently this unit has been leased, and is currently being renovated for a business relocation from elsewhere on Mountain Road. The source however was unwilling to divulge who will in fact be moving in.
I'm told it is Candy Depot - which is most certainly an upgrade for them. Better parking and visibility plus perhaps some synergy with Bennic.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 5:58 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandbagger View Post
I'm told it is Candy Depot - which is most certainly an upgrade for them. Better parking and visibility plus perhaps some synergy with Bennic.
If it is Candy Depot, the synergy between the two businesses would be fantastic - a sure winner!

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 3:04 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

American Eagle Closing Up to 225 Stores
https://sourcingjournal.com/topics/r...MLvC6tQ_bF0X1U

Quote:
American Eagle operates about 880 stores, about 95 percent of which are four-wall positive, according to chief operating officer Michael Rempell. After the closures, the brand will have between 600 to 700 locations across the U.S. and Canada, with average lease terms of 2.8 years.
So, AE plans to close ~ 20-25% of their store count (although some of these will be converted to their Aerie brand). CF Champlain already has a standalone Aerie, so that would not be an option here. Personally, I think the CF Champlain American Eagle store is probably safe, but only time will tell.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 8:28 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Apparently Halifax Retales (a reliable blogger in Halifax) is reporting that LL Bean will be setting up in Dartmouth Crossing this summer.

This does not absolutely exclude the possibility of LL Bean also opening in Moncton at some point, but it does somewhat diminish our prospects...……...

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 9:32 PM

Regarding LL Bean, not surprising. In the past few years, the HRM is on cruise control in a German car on the Autobahn while we are cruising in a Ford Pinto on a two lane T-C highway circa 1980 between Freddy and Moncton. LOL The only thing we have noteworthy lately that they don't have is our IHOP.

Ok I'm exaggerating but you get my point!

Things would be different if we only had one large city in NB, but that's a whole other conversation...

Last edited by OUIR@random; Jan 22, 2021 at 9:58 PM.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2021, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUIR@random View Post
Regarding LL Bean, not surprising. In the past few years, the HRM is on cruise control in a German car on the Autobahn while we are cruising in a Ford Pinto on a two lane T-C highway circa 1980 between Freddy and Moncton. LOL The only thing we have noteworthy lately that they don't have is our IHOP.

Ok I'm exaggerating but you get my point!

Things would be different if we only had one large city in NB, but that's a whole other conversation...
We had a Bass Pro Shops before Halifax did, and I must say that ours looks a hell of a lot better. We also have a Mode Choc which Halifax doesn’t have.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2021, 2:11 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

News release about LL Bean at Dartmouth Crossing:

Quote:
North American Development Group (NADG) is pleased to welcome celebrated outdoors brand L.L. Bean to Dartmouth Crossing, Atlantic Canada’s premiere shopping and entertainment destination. The new 15,000 square foot L.L. Bean store is scheduled to open in mid-2021.

“It’s wonderful to have L.L. Bean choose Halifax and our development for their store in Atlantic Canada,” said Glenn Munro, Managing Partner, Eastern Canada. “We’re very proud of the continued growth of Dartmouth Crossing and very excited for what will be a busy 2021.”

The addition of L.L. Bean and the upcoming Playdium solidifies Dartmouth Crossing’s reputation as the region’s top shopping destination. Dartmouth Crossing features over 1.8 million square feet of retail shopping space, including the only IKEA east of Montreal. NADG will build on these marquee retailers, attracting additional entertainment, lodging, retail, and commercial tenancies.
This news release does not come from LL Bean. The release is from the North American Development Group which owns Dartmouth Crossing. As such, they are not speaking for LL Bean, but the bolded portion in the quote above says that this is the LL Bean store for Atlantic Canada. If this is indeed true, then there will be no LL Bean store for NB.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2021, 2:19 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
If it is Candy Depot, the synergy between the two businesses would be fantastic - a sure winner!
It is now officially confirmed that Candy Depot is moving into the old Blockbuster building on Mountain Road, next to Bennic.

The space is actually being subdivided and will also include Case Depot in addition to Candy Depot. This will mean that the former Blockbuster will be 100% leased.

This is a prominent building with highly visible frontage on Mountain Road. This is very welcome news.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2021, 2:25 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

The perennially empty CRU next to Cannabis NB in the Mapleton Centre is under renovation and is being subdivided. This presumably means at least one new retailer moving in.

It's a busy 2021 at the Mapleton Centre.
- Classic Burger is now open.
- Supplement King is relocating to the former Pop Shoes.
- Under Armour will be moving into the current Supplement King location, and the adjacent former Wicker Emporium
- Renovation work now under way in the vacant CRU next to Cannabis NB

When this is all done, retail occupancy in the Mapleton Centre will be nearly 100%

Old Posted Jan 23, 2021, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
We had a Bass Pro Shops before Halifax did, and I must say that ours looks a hell of a lot better. We also have a Mode Choc which Halifax doesn’t have.
HRM is getting an IHOP. I believe I read in Bedford

Old Posted Jan 23, 2021, 1:34 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerTom View Post
HRM is getting an IHOP. I believe I read in Bedford
Indeed, and Charlottetown is getting one too. I think Corey Craig has plans for about six of them in Atlantic Canada over the next five years.

I wonder how badly these plans have been waylaid by the pandemic though. I'm pretty sure the IHOP here in Moncton is performing poorly (primarily because of the pandemic). The new Hyatt Place and Carrabba's also are not doing well (again pandemic related). These are all new constructions, and bills have to be paid. This has got to be eating into their cash reserves. In addition, the Tim Horton's and Wendy's that form the core of their business have to be suffering diminished sales as well.

I hope they have an understanding banker.............

Old Posted Jan 23, 2021, 2:29 PM

[QUOTE=MonctonRad;9168514]Indeed, and Charlottetown is getting one too. I think Corey Craig has plans for about six of them in Atlantic Canada over the next five years.
Smittys in Charlottetown used to be very busy spot for breakfast in the 80's I am unsure if this is the case now, however it will bring a new player into the market. My breakfast spot was full this morning with expanded capacity so Islanders still are eating out in Charlottetown/ Summerside anyway. I do not eat out all the time. When I do, there are plenty of diners with me. Are Monctonians still eating out?.

Last edited by PEI highway guy; Jan 23, 2021 at 4:21 PM.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2021, 4:15 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI highway guy View Post
Smittys in Charlottetown used to be very busy spot for breakfast in the 80's I am unsure if this is the case now, however it will bring a new player into the market. My breakfast spot was full this morning with expanded capacity so Islanders still are eating out in Charlottetown/ Summerside anyway. I do not eat out all the time I do there are plenty of diners with me. Are Monctonians still eating out?.
Since we are in red phase here, indoors sit-down dining is currently prohibited, but previously the restaurants were moderately busy in the fall (but with reduced seating capacity). I doubt anybody was making money, but at least the losses were being mitigated.

The most severely hit restaurants are downtown because so many downtown office workers are now working from home, thus the lunchtime crowd has been lost. In addition, without events at the Avenir Centre or the Capitol Theatre, and with empty hotels in the core, the evening crowds are likewise gone.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2021, 3:29 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

The rumour of Under Armour coming to Moncton (Mapleton Centre) is confirmed. There is a fresh job advert on indeed.com looking for a store manager for their Moncton location.

https://ca.indeed.com/jobs?q=Retail&...84a8c12af3c64c

This is the biggest retail news in Moncton for at least the last six months!

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Confirmed on their Facebook page today that it is indeed Candy Depot. They will be closed Jan 28 and 29 for the move, but between the two businesses this will be a neat little family spot.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 11:19 PM
Non-Farmers, Farm Celery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandbagger View Post
Confirmed on their Facebook page today that it is indeed Candy Depot. They will be closed Jan 28 and 29 for the move, but between the two businesses this will be a neat little family spot.
Rumour is it will be 3 businesses with Case Depot moving at some point as well!

Old Posted Jan 30, 2021, 4:33 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

The McDonald's in the Walmart at CF Champlain has now permanently closed. The space is being used temporarily for storage. No word yet as to the ultimate destiny of this space.

No great loss really.............

Old Posted Jan 30, 2021, 5:08 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The new Dollarama in the Champlain Plaza in Dieppe, next to Rens Pets is now open (as of about five minutes ago if the signage on the door was accurate).

I never go to Dollarama, but there is no question this store will be a good traffic generator for the plaza, and should help to fill up the adjacent vacant CRUs where Skyzone used to be.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2021, 5:59 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Candy Depot is now open in their new location next to Bennic Ice Cream in the old Blockbuster location on Mountain Road.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2021, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewber View Post
Rumour is it will be 3 businesses with Case Depot moving at some point as well!
Yes there is signage already installed on the side of the building facing Tim Hortons with Case Depot/CPR. They will be in that last unit. Makes sense since it is the same ownership for all 3 businesses.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces