HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 3:33 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolitherland View Post
Lead mining wasnt big around here, the old industry was coal mining but thats pretty much all gone now. Pretty much the only jobs around here are either working for Tyson Chicken or the Firestone tire factory. A lot of the jobs have left though and most of these people you see that live in the country in these run down conditions live off of the government and yet these people are staunch republicans, makes no sense to me.
You just described southwest MO, although Springfield isnt tiny. My grandmother is the daughter of German immigrants to the St. Francois Mountains, I could talk about the "hills" all day.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMancuso View Post
I LOL'ed at this thread. I have arkansas roots; maternal grandmother born and raised in north little rock and actually had relatives named 'hippy and 'humpy' and I would imagine they were the country type with dogs under the porch and a house full of collectable dinner plates from QVC.

do kinda agree with some comments above; perhaps replacing Arkansas with russellville. still, quality thread.
Seconded.

First off photolitherland... it's a wonderful photo thread because it represents some real Arkansas living their day-to-day lives. So that is much appreciated. But like Michigan, or Texas, or California or anywhere else... these people represent one sliver of the population of Arkansas. The thread title that you posted is suggestive that this somehow the "norm" for the entire state. Hopefully most forumers here know better, but I would hate to think that someone unfamiliar with Arkansas or the Southern United States stumbles across these images, and it burns into their brain as "the way we live". I am from Benton (near Little Rock) and can honestly say that I don't share too much in common with these people in your photos. I'm not white, I don't own ANY confederate flags, and have never lived in a trailer park.

So thank you for depicting the lives of approximately 50 Arkansans (out of a state that is nearing 3 million) in this artful, yet narrowly-focused thread.

For politics, check out my blog Texas Leftist

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 4:06 PM

Quote:

Have you not read the other comments of people who have lived in Arkansas and they are concurring with me that it is really this bad? Ive lived here for two years, I think I would know.
What other people? Me??? Please name these other people and what specifically they have said that concurs with your commentary here.

And dude, if you're tired of being a Wonderboy, just transfer!!! There are plenty of great colleges in the state where the level of surrounding redneckerey is much smaller.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 4:18 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanactivistTX View Post
Seconded.

First off photolitherland... it's a wonderful photo thread because it represents some real Arkansas living their day-to-day lives. So that is much appreciated. But like Michigan, or Texas, or California or anywhere else... these people represent one sliver of the population of Arkansas. The thread title that you posted is suggestive that this somehow the "norm" for the entire state. Hopefully most forumers here know better, but I would hate to think that someone unfamiliar with Arkansas or the Southern United States stumbles across these images, and it burns into their brain as "the way we live". I am from Benton (near Little Rock) and can honestly say that I don't share too much in common with these people in your photos. I'm not white, I don't own ANY confederate flags, and have never lived in a trailer park.

So thank you for depicting the lives of approximately 50 Arkansans (out of a state that is nearing 3 million) in this artful, yet narrowly-focused thread.
The title of the thread is easily controversal, and of course Arkansas is far from monolithic in its cultural landscape. Nothing he photographed is a misrepresentation, however, and his commentary is honest. A similar thread could be made of Missouri, of course, and I would probably have a different reaction.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMancuso View Post
relatives named 'hippy and 'humpy' and I would imagine they were the country type with dogs under the porch and a house full of collectable dinner plates from QVC.
Quote:
... Most of them were wearing cammo jackets to Thanksgiving dinner, and afterwards we went walking around the property looking for a decoy duck her cousin had lost in a brush pile.
This crap cracks me up

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 4:33 PM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
Seconded.

50 Arkansans? What is up with you people? This is representing the countryside and most people that live in the country here live like this. In the cities its different, still fairly redneck but fairly normal.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 4:38 PM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
What other people? Me??? Please name these other people and what specifically they have said that concurs with your commentary here.

And dude, if you're tired of being a Wonderboy, just transfer!!! There are plenty of great colleges in the state where the level of surrounding redneckerey is much smaller.
I cant really just transfer at this point. I am getting a degree in geology and here you dont have to have calculus to graduate. In almost every other college with geology you have to have all the way up to Cal 3 and Id be in college for an extra two years when Im about to graduate now. Just read through the comments, others are agreeing that it really is like this once you get out of the cities, at least in this part of Arkansas and most other parts of Arkansas I have seen it is similar. Albeit, it is also like this in many other states too.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 4:41 PM
Trendy.

Looks like Houston.

DallasTexan-Boomer-DhallassTecksanne-Disceaux Fantasia-Sulley-Optimus Prime-Gloria Estefan

...and others I've surely forgotten...

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 4:50 PM
Uncle Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
My ex and her family live in a backwoods, hillbilly, no-future, poverty stricken, meth-loving, ignorance embracing, POS dump of a town in Arkansas.
My in-laws live in BFE near Batesville, AR. You know they are in the sticks when the nearest Walmart is 45 minutes away.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 4:54 PM
Ex Houstonian

I WANT TO REITERATE THAT NOT ALL OF ARKANSAS LOOKS LIKE THIS, just the countryside. Little Rock for instance is very nice and not redneck at all, as is Conway, Hot Springs, Northwest Arkansas, Benton, Fort Smith, Texarkana, Argenta, Eureka Springs, Hot Springs Village, parts of Russellville, El Darado, and Pine Bluff.

Case in point, a Little Rock thread I made a long time ago about a gay rights protest they had and I attended. There are many progressive people that live here also, its just that once you get outside of the towns, it looks pretty much like this. But heres the Little Rock thread, I have to be fair.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=160983

Heres a picture of Little Rock I took back in 2008.

Last edited by photoLith; Mar 11, 2010 at 5:07 PM.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 5:44 PM
International

redneck backlash

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 6:45 PM

It's about what I expected... However, the only other place, beyond the south that I've ever seen that kind of dereliction is on indian reservations. It's not how I would want to live but whatever makes you happy, I guess.

Grays Harbor County:
Aberdeen, WA Montesano, WA Hoquiam, WA

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasTexan View Post
Looks like Houston.
I think you mean to say "Dallas south of I-30"

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 7:37 PM

Quote:
I cant really just transfer at this point. I am getting a degree in geology and here you dont have to have calculus to graduate. In almost every other college with geology you have to have all the way up to Cal 3 and Id be in college for an extra two years when Im about to graduate now. Just read through the comments, others are agreeing that it really is like this once you get out of the cities, at least in this part of Arkansas and most other parts of Arkansas I have seen it is similar. Albeit, it is also like this in many other states too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvLaaMdress

Shameless plug

And just for the record, I like Arkansas Tech. It's a good school and has a nice campus. A little more generic than some schools in the state, but it definitely serves its purpose. UAFS has created something of a difficulty for it though, because they are ciphoning off more and more of the population that would normally go to Tech. And UAFS has the advantage of being in the University of Arkansas System.

IMO Tech would be best served if they found another school to join up with and create the third major system in Arkansas. Maybe like Henderson or SAU.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 7:50 PM
Community Guy

definitely a different path for different folk

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 7:53 PM

Oooh . . . man. Arkansas. My parents retired to Holiday Island in 1988. The first time I drove there from KC, I thought they had made a terrible mistake. Now I really enjoy visiting. The countryside around Eureka Springs is lovely, some of the old towns are quaintly nice, the people who live near my parents are interesting and intelligent (my Mom is convinced their oil exec friend was really CIA).

Phololitherand took some great pictures of a one lane suspension bridge that is just minutes from my Mom's development. (BTW photolitherand - did you take any pictures of that over the top psuedo bavarian hunt lodge mansion looming over the bridge?)

BUT -

Everything he has photographed and more is all over the region. The juxtaposition between middle class and upper class developments and the abject poverty is striking, even in NWArkansas, which has a low unemployment rate and higher income rates.

What is also objectionable about that area is the type of development. All the old towns in that area have had tremendous growth over the past couple of decades and along the highway and byways connecting Bentonville, Springdale, Fayetteville, etc are outstanding examples of the worst kind of sprawly development. Shopping malls, cul-de-sac home developments, golf courses. None well connected.

I will say, I see this all over the US, especially the South.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 8:00 PM
Ex Houstonian

Northwest Arkansas is completely different from the rest of the state. Its the only part of the state that is really experiencing any growth.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 10:11 PM

In regards to the people in the photo thread, what's most disturbing is the fact that this is the chosen path for most of these Arkansans. They don't have to live this way, but it's what they want. The don't trust the government, don't like diversity, and don't want to expose themselves to other influences like "refined" culture. They want to isolate themselves, and in Arkansas that is very VERY easy to do.

You have to feel sorry for the kids though... they can't choose their parents or where/how they are raised.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 10:57 PM

Quote:
I posted a thread a long time ago about the town of Russellville here

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=158284

Yes, the thread, that said, that it was the hickest town in the USA.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 11:25 PM

You seem so shocked by the landscape and supposed habits of the residents. How is this place so different from a lot of the west side of Chicago? The only differences I can determine are, it's more rural, less people per and the general color or race of people. You just seem to be so appalled and aghast at your regional revelation. I have to ask...where did you grow up?? I wouldn't be surprised if you said "The North Shore".

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos