HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Nov 2, 2019, 12:49 AM

Cities in states that have never "booked". Could it happen

Many cities in different parts of the US have experienced population booms but many cities in states like Mississippi, West Virginia, Wyoming, Vermont, etc have not. Do you think that cities in states like those could? Would you see any reason why?

Last edited by Dariusb; Nov 3, 2019 at 1:09 AM. Reason: Correct spelling errors

Old Posted Nov 2, 2019, 2:51 AM

Cheyenne could because of its proximity to a university and the Denver Front Range CSA. New Hampshire is the next frontier of the Boston MSA. The Mississippi portion of the Memphis MSA has hope for that reason alone. Fargo could boom while I'm shocked West Virginia hasn't boomed more due to it's proximity to Pittsburgh and Washington.

Last edited by ThePhun1; Nov 3, 2019 at 2:09 AM.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2019, 3:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhun1 View Post
Cheyenne could because of it's proximity to a university and the Denver Front Range CSA. New Hampshire is the next frontier of the Boston MSA. The Mississippi portion of the Memphis MSA has hope for that reason alone. Fargo could boom while I'm shocked West Virginia hasn't boomed more due to it's proximity to Pittsburgh and Washington.
Have you been to West Virginia? It may be near Washington DC but might as well be a world apart.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2019, 4:43 AM
Ex Houstonian

Once sea levels rise and places like Miami, Houston, New Orleans, DC, Philly, parts of NYC, Baltimore, etc become uninhabitable in 50 to 100 years, than places like Charleston, WV; Pittsburgh and other depopulated rustbelt or coal belt towns/cities will look a lot more inviting. That is, if jobs are even a thing anymore after most jobs are replaced by AI and autonomous driving. After AI takes over most jobs and that even includes lawyers, doctors, etc; then moving to cities won't matter as there will be no need to move anywhere if there are no jobs for anyone.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2019, 4:44 AM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
Have you been to West Virginia? It may be near Washington DC but might as well be a world apart.
You've obviously not been to a lot of WV. The northern panhandle may as well be part of the Ohio or PA rustbelt as Wheeling, Wellsburg, Weirton and Moundsville are all former steel towns. And the eastern panhandle is basically a wealthy exurb of the DC metro region, with Martinsburg, Harpers Ferry, Big Pool and Marlowe. The main broke ass coal area of the state is the southwestern region; wherein a large portion of the population is addicted to opiates and can't read; just like eastern KY; I.E. Beckley, Huntington and Summersville. WV is an odd state, it has the extremes of all parts of the American populace. Its a weird microcosm of everything America. It has illiterate uneducated people, due to no fault of their own all throughout the central and southern parts of the state. It has the rustbelt along the Ohio River. It has well paying CIA, FBI jobs in the eastern section and it has well to do towns like Charleston and college towns like Morgantown and odd wealthy towns like Lewisburg where rich people from the east coast go to retire. Its basically all of America in one state.

Last edited by photoLith; Nov 2, 2019 at 5:04 AM.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2019, 6:14 AM
Dryer lint inspector

New Hampshire was the next frontier of the Boston MSA 40 years ago and it boomed then but has pretty much leveled off since. Vermont has a limited economy and is pretty far from any major (US) metro and mainly attracts those looking for small town/ rural lifestyle and be in a field where you can find actually find work.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2019, 12:37 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
New Hampshire was the next frontier of the Boston MSA 40 years ago and it boomed then but has pretty much leveled off since. Vermont has a limited economy and is pretty far from any major (US) metro and mainly attracts those looking for small town/ rural lifestyle and be in a field where you can find actually find work.
Vermont is basically a West Virginia. Close to major metros, has a college town or two, and that's about it.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
Vermont is basically a West Virginia. Close to major metros, has a college town or two, and that's about it.
Politically and economically, Vermont is very different. Tourism dominates VT. Also much more educated and higher income. And filled with former New Yorkers doing their rural thing, lots of ex-hippies, and tons of weekenders. It's more like far Northern CA.

Vermont is nowhere near any major metros. West Virginia is near DC and Pittsburgh, but not well connected to either. There are a few MARC trains that go from Harpers Ferry to DC but WV refuses to pay for the service, so it may end.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2019, 1:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Once sea levels rise and places like Miami, Houston, New Orleans, DC, Philly, parts of NYC, Baltimore, etc become uninhabitable in 50 to 100 years, than places like Charleston, WV; Pittsburgh and other depopulated rustbelt or coal belt towns/cities will look a lot more inviting. That is, if jobs are even a thing anymore after most jobs are replaced by AI and autonomous driving. After AI takes over most jobs and that even includes lawyers, doctors, etc; then moving to cities won't matter as there will be no need to move anywhere if there are no jobs for anyone.
We'll still need IT no matter how good AI gets.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2019, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post

Vermont is nowhere near any major metros.

I guess Montreal doesn’t really count not being in the same country.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2019, 9:53 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by M II A II R II K View Post
I guess Montreal doesn’t really count not being in the same country.
No. Hard border limits a lot of flow back and forth. I lived in Plattsburgh NY as a kid, Montreal might as well been on a different planet.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2019, 10:06 PM

Except when watching TV off of the air where their channels can be seen.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2019, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dariusb View Post
Many cities in different parts of the US have experienced population boms but many cities in states like Mississippi, West Virginia, Wyoming, Vermont, etc have not. Do you think that cities in states like those could? Would you see any reason why?
Like someone said, Cheyenne is doing well--practically in Colorado. North Ft. Collins basically. Burlington VT is doing well. I think the exodus from CA (fires, quakes, high cost of living) will benefit LOTS of lesser populated states in the future. Not just AZ, NV, OR, WA, UT. The eastern part of WV is almost in the exurbs of D.C., so probably will see some growth. Parts of Miss. are doing OK. Oxford, even Jackson is doing OK as the main city. Biloxi maybe, but hurricane risk. Idaho is growing fast, especially Boise. The next SLC? Might even see some growth in the "rust belt" cities with new immigration from within the U.S. and from foreign countries. I like the potentail of Buffalo a LOT. Detroit too.

Last edited by CaliNative; Nov 2, 2019 at 11:27 PM.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2019, 11:28 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Politically and economically, Vermont is very different. Tourism dominates VT. Also much more educated and higher income. And filled with former New Yorkers doing their rural thing, lots of ex-hippies, and tons of weekenders. It's more like far Northern CA.

Vermont is nowhere near any major metros. West Virginia is near DC and Pittsburgh, but not well connected to either. There are a few MARC trains that go from Harpers Ferry to DC but WV refuses to pay for the service, so it may end.
"Nowhere near any major metros"...

Brattleboro Vermont is a 2 hour drive [110 miles] from Downtown Boston.
White River Junction, VT is a 2 hour drive from DT Boston. [I spent some time in WRJ, just across from Hanover, NH [a wonderful place] in the 1990s, really did not like WRJ].
VT's largest city, Burlington is 2 hours [97 miles] from Downtown Montreal.
Bennington, VT is 38 miles from Albany, NY
Brattleboro is 80 minutes from Hartford, CT

Last edited by Sun Belt; Nov 3, 2019 at 12:01 AM.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2019, 11:30 PM
BANNED

This would never happen, but what if West Virginia and Virginia were to re-unite into one state?

Would you guys be in favor of this?

Old Posted Nov 3, 2019, 12:21 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
"Nowhere near any major metros"...

Brattleboro Vermont is a 2 hour drive [110 miles] from Downtown Boston.
White River Junction, VT is a 2 hour drive from DT Boston. [I spent some time in WRJ, just across from Hanover, NH [a wonderful place] in the 1990s, really did not like WRJ].
VT's largest city, Burlington is 2 hours [97 miles] from Downtown Montreal.
I know Brattleboro very well. Same with White River Junction; my ex lived near there in Vershire. Two hours (which is optimistic) from Boston isn't that close and both are well beyond Boston's CSA. I lived in Peterborough NH and that was about 70 miles from Boston and that was an hour and a half into Boston.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2019, 12:23 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
I know Brattleboro very well. Same with White River Junction; my ex lived near there in Vershire. Two hours (which is optimistic) from Boston isn't that close and both are well beyond Boston's CSA. I lived in Peterborough NH and that was about 70 miles from Boston and that was an hour and a half into Boston.
It's a straight shot 93 to 89, all interstate speed, unless there's a snowstorm.

I used to drive from Boston to Lincoln NH to ski at Loon in 2 hours, again straight shot up the 93. I'd wake up at 5am, leave by 6am [get Burger King along the way], hit the lodge by 8:30am for a Hot Chocolate, ski an entire day, pack up and be home by 7pm for Sunday Night Football!!!

Old Posted Nov 3, 2019, 1:55 AM

What about these cities: Casper, WY, Billings, MT, Missoula, MT, Minot, ND, Grand Forks, ND, Augusta, ME?

Old Posted Nov 3, 2019, 2:56 AM

Isn't Minot seeing (or saw) a little significant growth from the fracking going on?

On that note, no one has witnessed the boom that Williston has seen in the last 10 years.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2019, 3:43 AM

I used to date a girl from St. Albans VT. It wasn't a very long drive from Montreal, and the border crossing usually was a breeze.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions