HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 10:41 PM

Looking good.

Last edited by PacificNW; Oct 1, 2020 at 4:55 PM.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 8:58 PM
BANNED

Not a fan of this tower whatsover. Way too stubby. I think what does it for me is how it’s front and center of the skyline. Just to much in a prominent spot to look so bland.

Now I think if this was buried behind some buildings as in infill I wouldn’t mind it to much.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2020, 5:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbinWarrick View Post
Not a fan of this tower whatsover. Way too stubby. I think what does it for me is how it’s front and center of the skyline. Just to much in a prominent spot to look so bland.

Now I think if this was buried behind some buildings as in infill I wouldn’t mind it to much.
I felt the same way when I saw the renderings but I personally like how it turned it out in person; doesn't feel too stubby to me.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2020, 9:31 PM

https://www.oregonlive.com/news/2020...ourthouse.html

Quote:
After decades of trying, Multnomah County opens a $324 million new, spacious, seismically safer courthouse
Updated 1:30 PM; Today 7:00 AM
By Aimee Green | The Oregonian/OregonLive

Regulars at the old Multnomah County Courthouse knew that if they turned on the bathroom faucets first thing on a Monday morning, they should expect a torrent of rusty, orange-hued water.

Long-time staff just might have been unlucky enough to learn firsthand what it was like to experience a pipe bursting above their workspaces, flooding their desks and files with dirty water.

But the greatest worry had always been the building’s structural safety and how its 106-year-old unreinforced masonry walls would hold up when the Big One hits.

This past week, the old courthouse on Southwest Fourth Avenue closed its doors to the public for the last time. On Monday, a new courthouse four blocks away will open for business to enormous elation from county and state officials who worked for decades on making it a reality.
...(continues)

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 11:45 PM

https://www.oregonlive.com/news/2021...ourthouse.html

Quote:
Ruptured sprinkler floods multiple floors, causes ‘extensive damage’ at new Multnomah County courthouse
Updated Jan 09, 2021; Posted Jan 09, 2021
By Andrew Theen | The Oregonian/OregonLive
An overhead sprinkler ruptured at the Multnomah County courthouse in downtown Portland early Saturday morning, causing “extensive damage to multiple floors” of the recently completed $324 million building.

County officials said a sprinkler head on the seventh floor of the building on Southwest First Avenue failed. The building sits at the west edge of the Hawthorne Bridge.

Water remediation and cleanup is underway. According to an email from county officials provided to the Oregonian, “the courthouse electrical system and elevators have been impacted.”
...(continues)

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 11:47 PM

Completed, update as of 1.13.21

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 12:22 AM
BANNED

Not a fan of this at all. I guess if it was infill buried amongst other buildings it would be fine but front and centered of the skyline is gross. To stubby and just blocking the skyline.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 4:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbinWarrick View Post
Not a fan of this at all. I guess if it was infill buried amongst other buildings it would be fine but front and centered of the skyline is gross. To stubby and just blocking the skyline.
In person it presents much taller than it looks in pictures. When taking the 84 or 5 exit onto the Morrison, the building has a strong presence on the skyline without being so tall that it distracts from the bigger picture. The cladding is a bit heavy, but it is an important civic building and I'd argue appropriate for it's purpose.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 11:18 AM
A before E

I haven't had the chance to walk around it yet, but seeing it from a distance or when crossing the bridges, it looks like a fantastic addition to the city.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland