HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup

Old Posted Mar 8, 2009, 10:39 PM
Closed account

I would destroy buildings for further develoment.Very nice skyline! One of the best cities in history!

Old Posted Mar 15, 2009, 9:41 AM

Thanks for the comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plokoon11 View Post
Well I really like this, where do you find these wonderful window textures? Do you make them?
All the building textures are handmade by me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin55 View Post
YOU STOLED MY FOUNTAIN PLACE!!!
Kiddin'. Ecron looks great. based of Enron ? its an all texan update! (or it appears)
Yep, the Foster Tower is pretty much inspired by the Fountain Place. The Eccron Accounting Building is also inspired by a real life building, but not a Texan one. If it appears Texan, then it's purely coincidental.

Daniel Garden was sometimes called "Peter McKim of the late 20th century". That comparison was true in one aspect: both were real estate tycoons. Other than that they were completely different. McKim worked his way from rags to riches whereas Garden herited the money he used to start his business. McKim was a family man whereas Garden was a life long playboy.

Danny Garden was born in 1955 as grandson of George Garden, one of the major owners of the Jenney Retail Company. His father died in 1965, so when George Garden died in 1980, Danny inherited a fortune. Danny wasn't interested in retail, so he sold his inherited share of Jenney Retail to the Jenney family and used the millions for his biggest passions: skyscrapers and women.

Daniel Garden cemented his role as the leading real estate tycoon in Rocane in the late 80's mini boom and the Garden Building on 2nd North Street was his crown jewel at that time. The Garden Building has 54-stories, is 787 feet (240 m) tall and was completed in 1988.

The 73-story Heritage Plaza is the Midwest headquarters of Heritage Insurance Group. It is 1001 feet (305 m) tall and was constructed in 1990. It was the second tallest building in Rocane at that time.

The RBO Tower was built as North American headquarters for the Royal British Oil. They do not occupy the whole building. The other major tenant is the Jenney Retail Company, who moved to the building from across the street from the 250 South Main Street. At the same time the Jenney's Deparment Store was expanded to cover the base of the hole block.

The 49-story RBO Tower on 2nd South Street is 745 feet (227 m) tall and was finished in 1990.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2009, 11:49 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

RBO Tower is simply amazing! Congrats on making such a nice city. It's def. one of my favorite as well as Novaho Springs. The only thing that bothers me a little are the roofs of the buildings. Everything looks fucking amazing but the roofs are simple. Some small details here and there, maybe pull the middle part to create depth.

Other than that it's simple f'ing amazing!

Old Posted Mar 16, 2009, 12:00 PM
Closed account

ppl are really creative when it comes to this! Thats one of you. Great job!

Old Posted Mar 16, 2009, 2:41 PM
Ex Houstonian

Dude, looking sweet! What year have you gotten to? Are you going to go on into the future, like 2200?

Old Posted Mar 16, 2009, 4:32 PM

the rbo tower is class!!

Old Posted Mar 17, 2009, 3:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolitherland View Post
Dude, looking sweet! What year have you gotten to? Are you going to go on into the future, like 2200?
He said it goes to 2020 like three times, but 2200 would be sweet!\

Yayayay Postmodern! Daniel garden is amazing, is it based of anything?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2009, 6:22 PM

Thanks, guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks0o01 View Post
RBO Tower is simply amazing! Congrats on making such a nice city. It's def. one of my favorite as well as Novaho Springs. The only thing that bothers me a little are the roofs of the buildings. Everything looks fucking amazing but the roofs are simple. Some small details here and there, maybe pull the middle part to create depth.

Other than that it's simple f'ing amazing!
I admit this. The roofs don't look good. To me they're the least interesting part of a building, so whenever I got a building finished all the way to the roof, I didn't have any energy left to detail the roof. I also though that it was a good place to save some polygons. But detailed roofs would have made Rocane look more realistic, that's true.

Quote:
He said it goes to 2020 like three times, but 2200 would be sweet!\
Yep, to 2020. When I started, I was'nt sure whether to end it at 2008 or 2020. I didn't go - and won't go - farther mainly for two reasons: I like the older architectural styles more than futuristic styles and I'm not good at futuristic, as you will see in few weeks.

Quote:
Yayayay Postmodern! Daniel garden is amazing, is it based of anything?
Well, the textures are based on the Liberty Place in Philadelphia, but the form isn't based on any specific real life building - at least not consciously.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2009, 6:39 PM
Desert Dweller

Another amazing update!!! Daniel Garden reminds me of the Gas Company Tower in Los Angeles, one of my favorites. I'm also a big fan of the Heritage Plaza, what a skyscraper! The RBO Building reminds me of the tallest building in Des Moines, it's name escapes me though. But great job, you really captured the architecture of the 1980's!

Old Posted Mar 22, 2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Another amazing update!!! Daniel Garden reminds me of the Gas Company Tower in Los Angeles, one of my favorites. I'm also a big fan of the Heritage Plaza, what a skyscraper! The RBO Building reminds me of the tallest building in Des Moines, it's name escapes me though. But great job, you really captured the architecture of the 1980's!
Thanks, Patrick! The RBO Tower is heavily influenced by a real life building, but not that one in Des Moines. Actually its inspirator is not even a North American building

The 36-story Fargo Foundation Building ended the mini-boom of late 80's. The mid-90's were times of slow development, but the building projects picked picked up pace towards the end of the millennium. However, the Fargo Foundation was the last highrise of the 20th century. It is 489 feet (149 m) tall and was completed in 1991.

Market Street looking west in 2000.

Rocane's skyline in 2000.

Downtown from southeast.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2009, 12:39 PM

That skyline shot is incredible. Did you Photoshop in the water or is it a texture!?

Old Posted Mar 22, 2009, 9:03 PM

great update..
RBO-Tower looks really similar to One Canada Square in Canary Wharf in London. but maybe you thought of another building.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2009, 9:49 PM

LOL noone is figures out RBO is based of Messeturm yet? It has to be.

Anyway it looks sexy as always, it kinds reminds me of Palm Dunes.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2009, 10:09 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

Reminds me of Houston or Dallas for some reason... Looks awesome either way.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2009, 5:52 AM
Desert Dweller

Quote:
I agree, I love Texan Cities! Nothing to say except that's pure perfection!

Old Posted Mar 23, 2009, 4:26 PM

Thank you very much, guys!
Quote:
Originally Posted by OllyRogers View Post
That skyline shot is incredible. Did you Photoshop in the water or is it a texture!?
Yep, that water is photoshopped in the shot as well. It's actually off a shot from my only visit (to date) to North America. It's the Hudson in Easter 2006.

Quote:
LOL noone is figures out RBO is based of Messeturm yet? It has to be.
Messeturm is correct

Quote:
It feels Texan to me as well (which is not intentional). Perhaps it's the density of the skyline..? I guess there should be more postmodern buildings, if it actually was a Texan city.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 7:46 PM

i also thought of messeturm but it's basic footprint is round...anyways if this city is really already finished why do your updates take so much time? ;-P hurry up

Old Posted Mar 26, 2009, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [SP]Neo View Post
i also thought of messeturm but it's basic footprint is round
Well, I tried not to make an exact copy. Messeturm was just an inspiration. Probably Canary Wharf was more inspiration, but I wasn't thinking of that building, so it was subconscious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [SP]Neo View Post
anyways if this city is really already finished why do your updates take so much time? ;-P hurry up
Well, I'm a busy man I actually even have all the shots already, but photoshopping takes some time (the magic wand tool is good but it isn't perfect ) and I have to make up some kind of stories as well - although I think the quality of them has declined since the early days.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2009, 11:15 AM

Want to get my next post...

Old Posted Mar 29, 2009, 11:16 AM

on a new page.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup