HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted Oct 20, 2011, 7:01 PM
opinionated so and so

Stars show moved from Parade Square to Saint Antonio’s

Out of respect for the peaceful protest taking place at Parade Square, Halifax Pop Explosion has moved the Stars concert on Saturday, October 22 to Saint Antonio’s Olympic Centre (2304 Hunter St.). The show is a free, all ages event. Performance times have changed to the following (NOTE NEW TIMES):

Doors 11:45am
12:00pm - Papermaps
12:35pm - Carmen Townsend
1:15pm - Plants & Animals
2:30pm - Stars

Torquil Campbell from Stars adds, “Stars are excited to play Halifax and even more excited now that the Occupy NS movement has set up camp in Parade Square. We’re happy to move the concert to show support for the movement and to ensure that the camp is not disturbed in any way by our performance.”

Starting on Tuesday, October 18, the Halifax Pop Explosion has already seen record attendance during its opening two days. Taking place at 20 venues across Halifax, NS, the festival continues until the 22nd and features performances from internationally acclaimed acts such as Fucked Up, JEFF the Brotherhood, Dan Mangan, Chad VanGaalen, and The Thermals.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2011, 8:06 PM

Thanks for the heads up, I was wondering about this!

Old Posted Oct 21, 2011, 12:01 AM

Clear those bums out or throw them in jail for trespassing.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2011, 1:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith p. View Post
clear those bums out or throw them in jail for trespassing.
+1

Old Posted Oct 21, 2011, 10:33 AM
opinionated so and so

This show is all ages, starts at noon. Stars goes on at 2:30.

Stars have been nominated for 2 Junos, 2 Polaris Prizes and have five internationally acclaimed albums out.

If you come, the added bonus is you can meet me, and either have a nice chat or punch me in the face, your preference.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2011, 12:17 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waye Mason View Post
If you come, the added bonus is you can meet me, and either have a nice chat or punch me in the face, your preference.
What about a Pinata Suit Waye? Would you wear one of those?

Old Posted Oct 21, 2011, 1:45 PM
BUILD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Clear those bums out or throw them in jail for trespassing.
This whole "occupy" movement has been quite interesting for me and my friends at Dal who are in commerce. I have actually had people tell me I was going to be one of those "bankers" who is going to screw the 99% and really it is quite funny.

The same students complaining and protesting at Dal are also (coincidentally?) the ones who didn't vote in the last federal election. Until the occupy movement offers valid suggestions on how to fix the rising income inequality in society, they should stop ragging on the majority ( of the 1%) who while in the financial industry have done nothing to the "little guy".

Just my two cents as a person who's in the age bracket of the protestors.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2011, 1:55 AM

Those god damn bums have no better place to be!
I walked by them today and HOLY CRAP! Can you smell the BO and stench.
Camping in parade square, I bet ya if I just went there by myself one night with no protest going on to camp out they would evict me off the land before I could say occupy.

All they are, are a bunch of lazy bums! A flame thrower should be taken to all of their stuff they put there!

Old Posted Oct 24, 2011, 3:13 AM
BANNED

I'm both fascinated and hurt by the aggressive opinions toward these peaceful protestors.

Calling them all bums is cruel, though it says more about you than the protestors.

At least the bums read.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2011, 10:22 AM
Urban Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post
I'm both fascinated and hurt by the aggressive opinions toward these peaceful protestors.

Calling them all bums is cruel, though it says more about you than the protestors.

At least the bums read.
This is sort of how I feel, but I couldn't really put it into words. You said it well, RyeJay.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2011, 2:36 PM

Yeeeeah, I'm not getting the hostility, either. What harm are they doing? It's a peaceful protest, something that they're within their rights to do, whether you agree with them or not.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2011, 3:37 PM

They are occupying a public space and using it for a campsite, neither of which they have a right to do. They are denying 99.9% of the public their rights to use that space as they would normally. And worst of all, they are the usual bunch of clueless youth ne'er-do-wells who don't have any idea what they are really complaining about, but are willing to be used as dupes by the left and groups like Adbusters to advance their campaign to overthrow the system. I saw one of the kids interviewed last week, complaining he couldn't get a job. Of course, he had dreadlocks that made his head look like a lion's mane, various facial piercings and tattoos, and had the dull speech patterns of one who has consumed too much weed. No wonder he is unemployable.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2011, 4:44 PM

If they were violating any laws, or creating any serious problems, then the authorities would be well within their right to remove them... As they've chosen not to do so, then it's logical to conclude that they aren't actually breaking any laws, or causing any harm...

As to the protestors themselves, it's largely a 'me-too' movement copycatting what's happening in the US, but that doesn't mean that there aren't legitimate issues here as well. Let them protest. Either real issues will come to the fore, or people will give up when the weather gets a bit colder, and no harm done in the end.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2011, 5:14 PM
opinionated so and so

a - public protest is a part of democracy

b - everyone in NYC this summer seemed to have tattoos. Our excellent server at Lupa, a middle high end Mario Batali restaurant, had face and arm tats. I think it is increasingly provincial to judge people based on that kind of appearance/body mod.

c - the concert was great. Despite the time change, the venue change, there were about 1000 people inside and 500 outside who could not get in. Stars played 3 songs acoustic in the parking lot for those outside. I suspect if it had gone ahead at the original time and in grand parade we would have had 2500-3000 people, minimum.

It was the most successful HPX ever, the festival is a global model for how to run a new music festival, I suspect we cracked 21K attendance this year, despite the rain on Thursday.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2011, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
They are occupying a public space and using it for a campsite, neither of which they have a right to do. They are denying 99.9% of the public their rights to use that space as they would normally. And worst of all, they are the usual bunch of clueless youth ne'er-do-wells who don't have any idea what they are really complaining about, but are willing to be used as dupes by the left and groups like Adbusters to advance their campaign to overthrow the system. I saw one of the kids interviewed last week, complaining he couldn't get a job. Of course, he had dreadlocks that made his head look like a lion's mane, various facial piercings and tattoos, and had the dull speech patterns of one who has consumed too much weed. No wonder he is unemployable.
Public spaces can be used by members of the public (ie anyone!) for a variety of purposes, day and night. Parade Square is still open to the public and is still being used by different groups of people in many ways. I'm unsure of what uses you claim are being denied to the public. The space is normally used by office workers and others as a place to eat lunch and get some fresh air. The benches are still there and so is the fresh air (despite the dehumanizing comments directed at the protesters above). The protesters are not denying anyone of anything. People avoiding Parade Square are likely uncomfortable with the prospect of encountering people who are different than themselves. They would likely be more uncomfortable walking down Spring Garden where they will be approached by panhandlers, many of whom are drug users.

Last edited by coolmillion; Oct 24, 2011 at 5:38 PM. Reason: edit

Old Posted Oct 24, 2011, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx View Post
If they were violating any laws, or creating any serious problems, then the authorities would be well within their right to remove them... As they've chosen not to do so, then it's logical to conclude that they aren't actually breaking any laws, or causing any harm...
Don't be ridiculous. This is HRM, where groups like this get away with murder. If I wanted to pitch a tent in the Grand Parade I would be out of there in a heartbeat.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2011, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waye Mason View Post
a - public protest is a part of democracy
Setting up housekeeping in the middle of the city's public center is hardly that.

Quote:
b - everyone in NYC this summer seemed to have tattoos. Our excellent server at Lupa, a middle high end Mario Batali restaurant, had face and arm tats. I think it is increasingly provincial to judge people based on that kind of appearance/body mod.
Yet another sign of the decline of western civilization. Tattoos are disgusting and will hopefully drop from prominence as quickly as they rose. I would hire nobody with an intentionally disfigured face or exposed body part.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2011, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmillion View Post
The protesters are not denying anyone of anything. People avoiding Parade Square are likely uncomfortable with the prospect of encountering people who are different than themselves. They would likely be more uncomfortable walking down Spring Garden where they will be approached by panhandlers, many of whom are drug users.
They are denying the public the design aesthetics - I don't think the intent of the Parade Square was to string up blue tarps and install portapotties - and the ability to use the space as they normally would. I also imagine the stench there must be quite strong by now. Since obviously nobody in the square has a job, I suspect the percentage of panners there is rather high. As for drug users, I have little doubt a 3AM raid by the authorities on the square would reveal some interesting substances - perhaps that is a way to haul them out of there and off to jail.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2011, 10:14 PM

I really have to agree with Kieth on this.
I walked through the "protest" today. 90% of the people there are between the ages of 20-30 or so. (My age bracket.) Have drealocks, look greasy, died their hair odd colors or some other sort of thing that makes them not like ordinary people.
I will admit, I orginally thought this occupy thing was cool, before it was cool. I agreed with people saying that the CEO's in the states were doing the same thing that they were doing before the global meltdown. But these people are just shit disturbers. And mark my words, nothing good will come out of this.

I'm not as hostile as Kieth is against tattoos, as long as they aren't on the face or anything like that but I truly believe that these people are just trying to disturb stuff and are essentially lazy bums.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2011, 10:28 PM

I wish I had a job where I could just take off several weeks or days and not worry about paying my bills , that is why I am lead to think most of these BUMS are just abusing the system we all pay into, and living off of our contributions for free , and then complaining about it! Sure there are alot of people there who can read or have a degree of some type , but educated litterate people can be lazy too !

All bums IMO!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment