HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Oct 30, 2008, 12:13 PM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianXSands View Post
Oh shit.

In all honesty, I hated the original design. The new one kicks ass.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2008, 1:49 PM

that building is breathtaking. I was fortunate enough to visit it one time. The Medici Chapel in Florence is impressive as well.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2008, 5:04 PM
low life in a tall place

Steven Holl's new project at the Marmor Pier in Copenhagen,

Click on the images for larger size.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2008, 6:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Whale Beach house, Sydney, Australia
Black box house frames a modernist approach to a beachside dwelling.
This project articulates the idea of a modernist approach to the peninsula’s traditional concept of a beachside dwelling. From the street, the visual image is of a black box with blinkers either side to accommodate entry and stairs. The box provides the living space, while the protective sweep of the enveloping timber arms provides light, air circulation, ventilation and view corridors to the beach from the road, maintaining public amenity.

On entering the building, the visitor faces a large glass window with views through to the beach, flanked by a three storey high raw concrete wall. The building rises three storeys and the dramatic cantilever of the top two floors allows the mass of the building to appear as if hovering above the ground. This in turn provides shade for the pool and entertaining area on the ground floor.

The entire massing is clad in black recycled timber and forms a U shaped black structure to the street with a floating roof that allows views to the horizon.

http://www.worldarchitecturenews.com...pload_id=10564

Old Posted Oct 31, 2008, 7:09 PM
BANNED

der hauptunterschied zwischen kunst und architektur liegt für mich eher im maßstab und der frage, wie schnell ich dinge realisieren kann

jürgen mayer h. architekten / stadt.haus

[stadthaus.scharnhauser park.und marktplatz]
[ostfildern.de.1999]

[the building is located at the center of scharnhauser park]
[it is a multifunctional public building unifying municipal administration.civil services.a public library.an art gallery.classrooms.a wedding room.office space.sports facilities.and a large multi-purpose hall.this combination of different public services generates synergetic effects provoking programmatic and visual transparency.]

[spatially.the building is a large.open public area with inlays of certain core elements.floating within the space for mutual or strategic communication.these enclosed boxes structure the interior layout of the building.from the main square to the panorama deck on the roof.the building interlocks with its context through cutouts and terraces.these open air spaces remain accessible beyond the main opening hours and therefore serve as spatial and programmatic extensions.light and water animations are an integral part of the building and include a subtle relationship between nature.and technology.]
[the building.and square construct a new public building prototype by offering simultaneity of city life in real.mediated and virtual space.]

[framing the main entrance.visitors will have to walk through a computer animated.artificial rain dripping from the underneath the flat cantilevered roof.this water curtain facade becomes a secret information producer treating the entry elevation as ephemeral skin.]
[in the square next to the building.hanging glass fibre cables project points of light onto the ground.animated by the movement of the wind.built-in webcams collect all light points with a surveillance software.and send a life image of its dynamic constellation into the stadt.haus and onto the website of the.city of ostfildern.]

Old Posted Oct 31, 2008, 7:11 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by staff View Post
Steven Holl's new project at the Marmor Pier in Copenhagen,

i just pooped my pants.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2008, 8:54 PM
Registered

^ Those fiber light standards are incredible.

"I often say, 'Look, see, enjoy, and love.' It's a long way from looking to loving, but it's worth the effort." - Walter Andrew Netsch Jr.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2008, 11:52 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

Oh my god! That house is amazing!

Old Posted Nov 1, 2008, 1:10 AM
BANNED

Blesso Loft, New York, United States
Joel Sanders completes eco-friendly NYC penthouse
This Noho loft for real estate developer Matthew Blesso offers a fresh take on green architecture, demonstrating that you don’t have to forgo high style in the interest of saving the planet.

Designed by New York architect Joel Sanders with associate architect Andrea Steele and landscape designer, Balmori Associates, the design of this 3200 sq ft loft is predicated on the notion that if you merge building and landscape, by bringing nature in and pushing living space to the outdoors, unexpected things can happen.

The loft’s interior is awash in lush vegetation, sustainable woods and natural fibers. Exterior wood decking and plants flow into the heart of the penthouse forming a “planted core” that separates the private and public realms. A glass wall separates the bathroom from the planted zone, allowing the owner to bathe surrounded by vegetation. This “living wall” links the interior to the roof. An open staircase provides access to a rooftop garden planted with grasses and sedum, which has been transformed into a veritable “living” room furnished with a mini-kitchen, a large movie screen, and an outdoor shower surrounded by lush vegetation.

Sharon McHugh
US Correspondent
http://www.worldarchitecturenews.com...pload_id=10577

I'm pretty sure those coffee tables in the 3rd pic are made by a Vancouver designer
http://www.brentcomber.com/

Old Posted Nov 1, 2008, 1:14 AM
EVDS MPlan Grad

I could probably live there.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2008, 6:36 AM
BANNED

If you like the Lloyd's Building, you'll LOVE LHC @ CERN! I've always thought of CERN as a big lab built by engineers & scientists, but I didn't make the connection between it & buildings like the Lloyd's Building or Pompidou Centre. Not many architects or interior designers could design anything like this! This is like the Lloyd's Building, but with even more Gothic details, just look for yourself!

Quote:
CERN, Geneva, Switzerland
Will science and God collide as the countdown begins for world’s largest experiment?
Michael Hammond looks into how an experiment in Switzerland will affect your life...

It’s called the machine. Officially called the Large Haldron Colider (LHC) it is known by the many thousands of top scientists working at CERN in Geneva simply as the machine. It should be noted that emphasis is on the word “the” as the LHC is THE largest and most advanced machine ever built. Until now, this $8Bn experiment has been under most people’s radar but as the countdown to switch-on starts, focus is slowly being trained on the biggest scientific experiment ever carried by the human race. Sometime in August if all goes well, the LHC will accelerate two streams of protons around the 27KM long underground ring in opposite directions until they almost reach the speed of light. Then the guys at CERN will make them collide. The resultant impact is intended to re-create the conditions a billionth of a second after the big bang. The primary aim of the 20 year project is to prove the existence of the Higgs Bosun known by some as the God Particle, the basis for everything. In scientific terms, finding the Higgs particle is the key to proving the Standard Model, the current understanding of the universe. This would confirm the theory about how matter acquires mass.

With the unprecedented accumulation of human brain power at CERN it was almost inevitable that huge breakthroughs in technology would take place. It has parallels to a country at war, technology gets driven ahead at a much faster rate. Even before construction had begun, when the LHC was still on the drawing board, CERN had already made a huge impact on architecture and the process of communication generally. If it wasn’t for CERN, you wouldn’t be reading this at all as the Internet was a by-product of CERN research when a method of exchanging electronic data was developed in 1989 to enable the thousands of scientists from all around the world to collaborate. Internet technology was given free of charge to the global community by its creator, Tim Berners-Lee.

The collider and its collisions will feed four separate experiments, ATLAS, ALICE, CMS and LHCb and these will produce some 15 million gigabytes of data a year.

So what’s in this for architecture? The analysis of this vast amount of information requires a greater data transfer than the internet can provide. Enter the Grid. Imagine a freeway on stilts passing over the clogged up streets below allowing huge volumes of commercial traffic to traverse a city uninterrupted by traffic signals, roundabouts or other impairments. That’s the grid. A high capacity commercial network overlaid onto the Internet. The Grid already exists and is being used at CERN. This will be adopted by the wider community at some point as the Internet gets clogged up.

Next on the list is the Cloud. Imagine limitless processing power... renderings taking seconds and minutes instead of hours. The guys at Cern needed more processing power than any computer could provide and the concept of outsourcing “processing” to remote computer farms began to emerge. Sun Microsystems and IBM are already pioneering these facilities. Don’t forget, all of these technologies have been developed before the switch is thrown on the LHC. What could transpire if the experiments succeed? Literally anything is possible from weightless concrete to nano materials with properties that we cannot begin to imagine. On the other hand there is also the possibility that the experiment will create a black hole that will suck the earth into it. But the guys at CERN say their risk assessment shows this as unlikely. Fingers crossed.

http://www.worldarchitecturenews.com...pload_id=10099

There are thousands more pics like those on the official site:
http://cdsweb.cern.ch/collection/Photos?ln=en

Here's a sample (I don't know what they're pics of but they sure look cool):

Old Posted Nov 2, 2008, 8:05 AM
Honored Member

prisons...

Prisons?

I know a little something about prisons. Living in an Architectural Mecca, like Chicago, I see Prisons every day--whenever my eyes accidentally gaze upon a Ludwig Meis Van Der Roe box. It's like looking at a vertical big box store, ugly as sin they are and as sterile as my toilet after I use my steam cleaner, tiny bubbles, and lysol on it. But at least there, sterility serves a good purpose.

--SapphireBlueEyes--

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
^How is that an example of progressive architecture??? Not only is it hideous and sterile, it completely ignores the street level on all sides. It looks like a prison.
[CENTER][FONT=Impact][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]Ornamentation is the principal part of architecture, considered as a subject of fine art.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Impact][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue] - [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Impact][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][URL="http://www.giga-usa.com/quotes/authors/john_ruskin_a001.htm"]John Ruskin[/URL], [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Impact][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][I]True and Beautiful--Sculpture[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial Narrow][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]

Old Posted Nov 2, 2008, 8:16 AM
Honored Member

"Oh shit" you say!

If you seriously like the second rendering, or the new design over the old one, you are one sick _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGII View Post
Oh shit.

In all honesty, I hated the original design. The new one kicks ass.
[CENTER][FONT=Impact][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]Ornamentation is the principal part of architecture, considered as a subject of fine art.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Impact][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue] - [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Impact][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][URL="http://www.giga-usa.com/quotes/authors/john_ruskin_a001.htm"]John Ruskin[/URL], [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Impact][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][I]True and Beautiful--Sculpture[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial Narrow][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]

Old Posted Nov 2, 2008, 6:42 PM

armor de cosmos, was posting all those massive images really necessary? It would have been better to post about half, or put them as links. I don't like it when I have to wait about 40 seconds just for the page to load. And if I try to read while it's loading, the page is jumping all over the place from all the images popping up. Not to mention the pagestretch.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2008, 11:18 PM
▓▒░

Did anyone else notice the naked woman using the outside shower in the last pic that amor posted? Anybody?

Old Posted Nov 2, 2008, 11:21 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

I noticed that.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2008, 11:26 PM
BANNED

I'm always the first to notice a naked lady There's another one showering in one of the 'indoor' pics also.

but what about LHC? The Lloyd's Building is no match for its function-determined form, right?

Old Posted Nov 2, 2008, 11:37 PM
▓▒░

^Yes it looks very...comfortable.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2008, 1:33 AM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilon Doomm View Post
Did anyone else notice the naked woman using the outside shower in the last pic that amor posted? Anybody?
Please don't be fuckin with me. I'm racking my brain trying to find it.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2008, 2:43 AM
BANNED

she's taking a shower

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture