HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
I was being sarcastic. But it's partly true.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 1:01 AM
BUILD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterfactual View Post
It's really hard to find good, quality condos on the peninsula currently. My fiancée and I have been looking at newer units on the peninsula and it is currently slim pickings (unless you have $500,000+).

What we really need are more buildings priced in the 200-300k range in or near downtown to truly get the ball rolling downtown.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 1:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmcclassic View Post
What we really need are more buildings priced in the 200-300k range in or near downtown to truly get the ball rolling downtown.
Absolutely! And maybe some jobs for the young people like myself to return to Halifax for. But I can't get too greedy.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 3:13 AM

Quote:
It's really hard to find good, quality condos on the peninsula currently. My fiancée and I have been looking at newer units on the peninsula and it is currently slim pickings (unless you have $500,000+).

Completely agree with this too.

You would have them, if we had more development. Period.

King's Wharf is selling out, because it's towing that very price point...

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 4:00 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Actually part of the argument for Skye was that the added height would allow them to offer units in this price range.

It seems like height limits and affordable housing are pretty much at odds with each other. Maybe development in the North End will change things, both in terms of adding cheaper units on the Peninsula and in terms of making someplace like Robie and Young as interesting a place to live as the $500k condo neighbourhoods.

Another approach is for the city to offer better transit service so people have more neighbourhoods to choose from. There are lots of suburban or semi-suburban areas like Dutch Village Rd, Herring Cove Rd, Main Street Dartmouth, etc. that could be a lot better than they are.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 4:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Actually part of the argument for Skye was that the added height would allow them to offer units in this price range.

It seems like height limits and affordable housing are pretty much at odds with each other. Maybe development in the North End will change things, both in terms of adding cheaper units on the Peninsula and in terms of making someplace like Robie and Young as interesting a place to live as the $500k condo neighbourhoods.

Another approach is for the city to offer better transit service so people have more neighbourhoods to choose from. There are lots of suburban or semi-suburban areas like Dutch Village Rd, Herring Cove Rd, Main Street Dartmouth, etc. that could be a lot better than they are.
Seems we need both. Better transit options but also significantly raise height limits in most parts of downtown.

Seems to me, we need a review of HRMxD. I still think it must, in practice, remain unimpeachable. But it needs to be reviewed, and height limits increased, among other things. Also needs a third stream for minor alterations/developments.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterfactual View Post
I realize that, and can generally enjoy good sarcasm, but I guess the continual negativity gets a little hard to take sometimes.

I agree it's not perfect, but it does appear to be moving in the right direction. If you look at the way things were 20 years ago compared to the way they are now, there's been a huge step forward and only looking better for the future.

Definitely more room for improvement, but I like the way it's going now. As has been pointed out by others in the past, in some cases it's better that some projects were delayed as they are now turning out better than they would have a few years back as the quality of development here is generally improving.

In fact, I'd prefer progress to be a little slower but done right right rather than rush into a rash of poor-quality developments to get it done quickly, but then be stuck with a bunch of junk for the next 30 - 40 years... You really only get one chance in the downtown to get it right before it is literally cast in stone (well... concrete).

Old Posted Mar 16, 2014, 6:56 PM

Looks to be leasehold updates going on in furthest away storefront in this picture I took today:

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 12:38 PM

I've been hearing that Urban Outfitters is moving in. They are apparently in the process of preparing fit-up drawings now. I suspect the fitup will move along at a much higher rate of speed than the rest of the building

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 1:35 PM
Urban Thinker

Have you heard an expected move-in date? Also - which storefront(s) would they occupy?

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 3:45 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Looks like there's still work to be done on the cornice of the left building? Other than that it looks good. It'll be great once tenants move in.

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haligonia View Post
Have you heard an expected move-in date? Also - which storefront(s) would they occupy?
Sorry, I didn't get those bits of info.

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 8:26 PM

Great news...that should be a big draw.

Old Posted May 26, 2014, 1:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haligonia View Post
Found out a bit more - they'll be in the left-most store front. & occupying the main floor & 2nd floor.

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 2:58 PM
armchairitect

Left most building is having a banner hung as we speak.
sadly - office leasing.

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 5:19 PM

Isn't that the right most side of the building

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 5:44 PM
armchairitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanaxanax View Post
Isn't that the right most side of the building
Its the left side when facing it.. its moot because they also put a second identical banner on the other side.

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 1:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziobrop View Post
Left most building is having a banner hung as we speak.
sadly - office leasing.
Is this a bad or surprising thing? I think it's been know from the start that the upper floors will be office.

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 3:59 PM
armchairitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
Is this a bad or surprising thing? I think it's been know from the start that the upper floors will be office.
no its good, just disappointing that its for lease banners and not X coming soon banners.. Esp with the Urban Outfitters rumors.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2014, 3:24 PM

I can see some store signes inside through the glass I'm not sure what it is though

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth