HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
And plenty of years thereafter most every year. Maybe you are forgetting the many Chestnut Street flash mobs over the last 6 years. I did plenty of dumb stuff as a kid and got in fights too (not attacking innocent bystanders or looting, though). There's just another dimension for city kids when it's in the street or public spaces and not your buddy's backyard in the suburbs. That needs to be acknowledged and addressed intelligently. But let's move on.
cameras, security guards, rules at the arcade. Problem solved. There used to be several arcades on chestnut until late 90s or ealy 2000s- I don't recall there ever being any crime issues at either. I assume we will get similar hand wringing over having a real movie theater in CC proper. Most teens barely go to the movies, so not much to fear on that front.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 9:24 PM

I always found it odd that 95 goes through PA in the first place. Anyone traveling from DC and points south to NJ and points north exits 95 at the Delaware Memorial Bridge (I-295) to get to the NJ Turnpike, which turns into 95 after Trenton. I don't know why 95 doesn't just follow that direct route. 95 between the Delaware Memorial Bridge and Trenton acts like a regional spur route serving the Philadelphia area. This is also why 95 through Philly doesn't see major backups outside of rush hour - it's not inundated with thru traffic.

They just renamed portions of the highways in Bucks County and it doesn't really make things any more clearer. 95 should be the entire length of the NJ Turnpike including the DM Bridge since that's how traffic flows anyway.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
I always found it odd that 95 goes through PA in the first place. Anyone traveling from DC and points south to NJ and points north exits 95 at the Delaware Memorial Bridge (I-295) to get to the NJ Turnpike, which turns into 95 after Trenton. I don't know why 95 doesn't just follow that direct route. 95 between the Delaware Memorial Bridge and Trenton acts like a regional spur route serving the Philadelphia area. This is also why 95 through Philly doesn't see major backups outside of rush hour - it's not inundated with thru traffic.

They just renamed portions of the highways in Bucks County and it doesn't really make things any more clearer. 95 should be the entire length of the NJ Turnpike including the DM Bridge since that's how traffic flows anyway.
My guess is that it's just politics. Congressmen from Philly didn't want us to seem like some city third rate back-water that could be relegated to a 3 digit highway.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
That section actually has similar issues as the Market Street. The bridge at Walnut street goes over Delaware Ave, whereas Dock street is at grade. You can't cap fully over Delaware Ave because of the Sheraton on the other side of the street. So you'd have to somehow cap over just 95, while connecting the north end with the bridge on Walnut, and slope it down in both a south and east direction to be level with Dock street and Delaware ave.
I would think the cap to Dock would only be over I-95. Why can't Delaware avenue on that stretch stay above grade and only go under the cap at Walnut?

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 1:35 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrobk View Post
As happy as I am to see I-95 capped there, oh how I wish they could have capped I-95 another block south to Dock Street, and in my perfect world up to Market Street as well. I wouldn't say it's necessary to cap over Columbus Boulevard too as long as they did something good with the space where those scissor ramps used to be (speaking of, what exactly is going there?), but alas.
Eh IMO once the major Penn's Landing sites get built out I suspect we'll see overbuild parcels above 95 between Market and Chestnut and between Walnut and Dock get released. Something like this project that's going up by Fenway:

source

(Of course, that's still a looooooong way from getting realized.)

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 2:26 PM

In case anyone was dying for a bunch of POD Hotel pics, well.... here ya go:

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 2:32 PM

Well that went up in a hurry

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
Something like this project that's going up by
Just FYI, Boston has a number of deck parcels "in the works" but none actually under construction. That Fenway project is actually multiple phases and the current phase is on terra firma. This seems to be a problem all cities struggle with.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 10:23 PM

PlanPhilly update: 2100 Hamilton passed by the Art Comission.
http://planphilly.com/articles/2019/...-city-approval

Last edited by GtownFriend; Feb 8, 2019 at 10:35 PM.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 10:33 PM

Hidden City update on Temple's new Charles Library:
w/ renderings and progress photos.
https://hiddencityphila.org/2019/02/...le-university/

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 10:55 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtownFriend View Post

10 stories. I think they should clad it with real stone. The glass behind the museum looks out of place.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtownFriend View Post
I like Jayfar's comment under the article:

Quote:
Jayfar • 15 minutes ago
It's a Cecil Baker design. Because of course it is.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 11:00 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
Ha ha. definitely not a compliment.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2019, 12:09 AM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
Ha ha. definitely not a compliment.
I wouldn't say it's a compliment or not – I'm actually a sometime fan of the esteemed architect – but Cecil's ubiquity gave rise to that as my go-to snark comment every time his name comes up attached to a project, "It's a Cecil Baker design. Because of course it is."

BTW, Jake Blumgart pointed out in another forum that Tuesday was Cecil Baker's last day as a member of the Civic Design Review Board. He also posted a link to a 2016 PlanPhilly profile of Baker by Jared Brey:

Finding the form with Cecil Baker | PlanPhilly.com

Last edited by Jayfar; Feb 9, 2019 at 12:25 AM.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2019, 4:08 PM
Corporate logo

Sports Complex gets new neighbor — an $80 million office tower

https://kywnewsradio.radio.com/artic...alled-pattison

Old Posted Feb 10, 2019, 1:49 AM

Anyone know what's going in this building that's shrink-wrapped at 16th and Chancellor? https://www.google.com/maps/place/15...3!4d-75.167511 There's been a new liquor license in the window for awhile now, so it will be put back to use.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2019, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Anyone know what's going in this building that's shrink-wrapped at 16th and Chancellor? https://www.google.com/maps/place/15...3!4d-75.167511 There's been a new liquor license in the window for awhile now, so it will be put back to use.
Also, does anyone know if the garage in between this building and the rising Hyatt Centric is being renovated as part of that project? It is in rough shape...I think it was actually a building before it was a garage. Certainly looks that way. Would be great to see it put back to use...

Old Posted Feb 10, 2019, 5:38 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Also, does anyone know if the garage in between this building and the rising Hyatt Centric is being renovated as part of that project? It is in rough shape...I think it was actually a building before it was a garage. Certainly looks that way. Would be great to see it put back to use...
Looks like different owners, as far as I can tell.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 1:59 PM
Cory Trevor Leahy

Quote:
That property is owned by a mish-mash of partners and one of those partners had it tied up in litigation for several years. They sold their partial ownership to someone else at the end of 2016 who appears to be a hotel operator (or maybe hopes to be one). Nothing has happened since then and the building is deteriorating rapidly, though it had some shoring-up done last year.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 2:49 PM

I want to get this straight. The I-95 cap is only from Sansom to Walnut?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development