HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
On a smaller scale, when I popped a third story atop a 100-foot-long building, the estimate for stucco was almost as much as the cost of the house I bought in 2006. (that was a gut job, mind you) I think we ended up coming in under the estimate, but that was no doubt offset by the shotcrete we had to use over the 1760s-era brick party wall.

I had wanted to do a brick facade for the third floor, but the economics didn't make sense, in terms of insulation, materials, and labor. I had been hoping to have something just a little more decorative done with the brickwork, but since it was essentially tiles, that didn't happen.

Ultimately, I'm happy that my addition wasn't clad in fiber-cement and vinyl siding, but maaaan is it hard to justify the cost of doing decent exterior work, let alone nice exterior work. It's certainly given me some perspective on the choices being made. Construction is expensive.
What was your budget if you don't mind me asking? I certainly don't expect luxe materials or inspired design on every reno or flip in every city neighborhood. But it seems to me that even our highest end residential condo buildings and townhomes (and many of our commercial buildings) are decidedly lackluster as far as materials used and design.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
What was your budget if you don't mind me asking? I certainly don't expect luxe materials or inspired design on every reno or flip in every city neighborhood. But it seems to me that even our highest end residential condo buildings and townhomes (and many of our commercial buildings) are decidedly lackluster as far as materials used and design.
Yeah, okay, why not. The building in question is 16x100 and three stories tall (although it steps inward with each story, so the length of the third floor is... 75 feet I think?) and the estimate I got was $69,000. This was definitely one of the more shocking numbers in our build-out (I am a software developer, not a property developer), but asking around we got estimates that were generally in the same range. I think the stucco line item ultimately "only" ran us closer to $40,000. Candidly, that was towards the end of the constant financial barrage. I tend to have an attention for detail on the billing side of things, but at this stage I just wanted to move in. "What's it cost? Do we have enough? What are our options? Okay sure." (Options eventually became "pause construction" for a few months at the end there)

Now, when the contractor showed up for the job, he complimented the plans for the stucco, said that our architect didn't cut corners, and that a lot of projects called for some It did take a while for the process to complete - different kinds of seals and layers, and it looks way better than I was expecting it to. So far!

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Yeah, okay, why not. The building in question is 16x100 and three stories tall (although it steps inward with each story, so the length of the third floor is... 75 feet I think?) and the estimate I got was $69,000. This was definitely one of the more shocking numbers in our build-out (I am a software developer, not a property developer), but asking around we got estimates that were generally in the same range. I think the stucco line item ultimately "only" ran us closer to $40,000. Candidly, that was towards the end of the constant financial barrage. I tend to have an attention for detail on the billing side of things, but at this stage I just wanted to move in. "What's it cost? Do we have enough? What are our options? Okay sure." (Options eventually became "pause construction" for a few months at the end there)

Now, when the contractor showed up for the job, he complimented the plans for the stucco, said that our architect didn't cut corners, and that a lot of projects called for some It did take a while for the process to complete - different kinds of seals and layers, and it looks way better than I was expecting it to. So far!
Gotcha. Good stuff. Thanks.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 7:23 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^^^
Wait a second, to stucco the 3rd floor addition cost $40,000?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
12th and Sansom garage replacement

I like it, but disappointing it's not topped with residential on top. Still, MUCH better than what's there.

https://www.metrocommercial.com/land...s/12th-sansom/
A garage so bad I had blocked its existence from my memory but street view fixed that in a hurry.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
^^^
Wait a second, to stucco the 3rd floor addition cost $40,000?
Naw, stuccoing the whole building (except the facade) during the process of a third floor addition.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 5:43 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Naw, stuccoing the whole building (except the facade) during the process of a third floor addition.
I see...seems pricey. Probably 80% of the cost is in labor and 20% in materials is what I suspect. You have the rough coat first (scratch coat cement/mortar mix), then the stucco coat second. Metal lathe, dupont stucco home wrap, portland cement, sand, lime, color additive.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 6:38 PM
Midrise

Quote:
I see...seems pricey. Probably 80% of the cost is in labor and 20% in materials is what I suspect. You have the rough coat first (scratch coat cement/mortar mix), then the stucco coat second. Metal lathe, dupont stucco home wrap, portland cement, sand, lime, color additive.
…and then finish coat third.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 6:42 PM

Quote:
The addition is timber frame, so there were additional early steps for painting on sealing (so that we're not pulling everything off in ten years to replace rotted plywood). Definitely a lot of labor.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 7:34 PM

Naked Philly piece on nice plan for redevelopment of Gretz Brewery site.

http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...-years-vacancy

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 7:41 PM

^^Looks awesome. There's a lot of development creeping up from Fishtown and Lower Kensington towards Temple.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 8:14 PM
Cory Trevor Leahy

New Penn building at 32nd and Walnut

Also Penn will be starting construction this year on a 70,000sf building at 40th and Sansom-- no renderings or anything yet.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaamazarite View Post

Also Penn will be starting construction this year on a 70,000sf building at 40th and Sansom-- no renderings or anything yet.
wow looks great. For reference, this is off south of Walnut st, just east of David Rittenhouse Labs and north of part of the Palestra. It is currently a parking lot. The rendering shows the building connected to the elevated part of Walnut st.

There is a little blurb about the building at https://powerofpenn.upenn.edu/create...ive-solutions/
Quote:
STIMULATING SCIENTIFIC DISCOVERY
What is the optimum environment for discovery in energy science? Penn checks all the boxes: eminent researchers in a range of complementary disciplines; programs that unite faculty, undergraduates and graduate students in collaborative research; and core teaching and research facilities in close proximity. The new Science Research Building will augment Penn’s existing strengths by adding state-of-the-art research space that connects physical scientists and engineers. Focused primarily on energy research, this new Penn Arts and Sciences and Penn Engineering facility will have a flexible infrastructure that can be adapted as needs evolve. Located on the south side of Walnut and 32nd Streets, it will also serve as a striking new gateway to the Penn campus from Center City.

40th and sansom is a parking lot

from the Power of Penn link

Quote:
INCUBATING ACTIONABLE IDEAS
A light-bulb moment can happen at any hour of the day or night. That’s why the Venture Lab, led by Penn Wharton Entrepreneurship and housed in brand new Tangen Hall (not shown), will keep its doors open 18 hours a day, seven days a week throughout the academic year and summer. As the center of entrepreneurship on campus, the Venture Lab will serve as a gathering place for cross-disciplinary interaction and learning-by-doing, drawing students and faculty from across the University.

Located at 40th and Sansom Streets, Tangen Hall will include co-working spaces, a large colloquium hall and a maker space with cutting-edge tools for design innovation. The Venture Lab will be where students incubate startups as part of a community of entrepreneurs and innovators and interact with Penn alumni in diverse fields who will serve as mentors and advisors.
https://giving.wharton.upenn.edu/tangen-hall/

that link also shows a small 4 story expansion of the GSE building, and describes a 2 story connecting building between it at neighboring Stiteler Hall

Last edited by frbrown; Feb 5, 2019 at 8:38 PM.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 8:34 PM

Keep it coming! Glad to see some parking lots in Univ City getting developed. Especially along this stretch of Walnut Street where the pedestrian experience from the river to about 34th leaves much to be desired.

That Gretz Brewery project? Amazing. I really like how the new construction meshes so well with the existing brewery. Overbuilds and fascadectomies are tough to get right but this, to me, is exemplary. Hopefully it moves forward with no changes.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 9:22 PM

The new Penn building looks really good for that location. That stretch of Walnut is really boring. I hope Penn can find a way to redevelop their ice rink someday - that thing is terribly ugly. And the parking lot in Penn Park across from the FMC Tower is just BEGGING to have an office/research tower over a parking podium. Put a deck over Lower Walnut St to connect the office level to Walnut with some pedestrian seating and landscaping, and you'd do wonders for connecting Penn to Center City along Walnut.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
12th and Sansom garage replacement

I like it, but disappointing it's not topped with residential on top. Still, MUCH better than what's there.

https://www.metrocommercial.com/land...s/12th-sansom/
That says it was last updated 1 year ago. Is there any news on this project?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaamazarite View Post

Looks great!

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 9:45 PM

Arcade at Fashion District

https://www.philly.com/real-estate/c...-20190206.html

Quote:
Japan-based Round One Entertainment Inc. plans to open its first arcade and entertainment venue in a U.S. city center at the former Gallery at Market East shopping mall.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsule F View Post
Welp I know where I'm going as soon as this thing opens.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsule F View Post
I hope there's a reasonable admission fee...I could see this degenerating quickly. Maybe a $20 admission fee. Not what they've done elsewhere, though: http://www.round1usa.com/location/lakewood-center-mall/

Last edited by jsbrook; Feb 6, 2019 at 10:34 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development