HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 9, 2021, 6:15 PM

^ That's quite a large picture. You have to scroll to see it all even with a 27'' screen.
Next time I post pictures, I will think of people constantly using 14'' laptops or worse, phones.
Large pics like this must be annoying to them.

Wondering what that fog over the central city in the background can be in this occasion. You cannot see a damn thing in a distance.
Of course, sometimes it's only heat or any weather condition. But sometimes it may be gas and creepy pollution, like the gross city would fart to poison everybody over the place.
Can't wait for the day when we finally got rid of gas.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2021, 9:21 AM

2 new renderings for the approved Bruneseau complex

Old Posted Feb 15, 2021, 12:05 PM

^^^
^^^
Agreed, it can be annoying, especially if there's a string of them. Even though everyone should have a zoom feature on their desktop or laptop to reduce the size to whatever percentage necessary. I try to forego the oversized pics if there are smaller ones available. We had a member give us a handy suggestion on reducing the size of imgur pics. Just insert an h before the .jpg At least that took care of some of the problem imgur's. I just wish I knew how to adjust all of the different formats.

That said, Thanks Mousquet for the overwhelming majority of photos of Paris. It's really helpful for all of us who don't live there and have only experienced this uniquely beautiful city as hurried tourists.

Last edited by delts145; Feb 15, 2021 at 12:45 PM.

Old Posted May 30, 2021, 9:18 PM

Renovation of the old Bourse de Commerce into an exhibition building for contemporary art. The building is leased to billionaire François Pinault who'll show his personal collection in there.

The circular building was originally a wheat exchange built from 1763 to 1767. It was almost completely rebuilt in 1888. Only the dome remains from the earlier structure.
Same view from rue du Louvre in a larger frame.

Some details and surroundings.

This is called Colonne Médécis, a column erected in 1574, last remain of a mansion that sat there before it was torn down to build the 18th-century wheat exchange.

View of the back of the building to the Nelson Mandela garden.

I took these pics yesterday. It is open to the public already. You get a bit more details in the wiki article.

In the same neighborhood, just 100 yards away at the corner of rue du Louvre and rue Étienne Marcel, they're refurbishing the old post office known as "Poste Centrale du Louvre" or "Hôtel des Postes".
I think there was a mail sorting facility in there, that's no longer needed. So the renovation is making something mixed-use of the large building built between 1880 and 1886.
There still will be a post office, but also a police station, a nursery, some office space, some retail, a hotel and 17 social housing units.

From rue du Louvre.

Rue Étienne Marcel.

Rue Jean-Jacques Rousseau.

That was the building from the 4 sides. It's all about the same.
Let's see about some details, though.

This will be a main entrance to the little mall in there.

You can't get in yet, but I could shoot the inside through the doors.

Nice neighborhood.

More pictures of both the Bourse de Commerce and the Poste du Louvre here.

Now on rue de Rivoli, the renovation of the Samaritaine department store is close to complete.
The large store would take 4 buildings and several other buildings over the same block are being refurbished, so it's still a bit of a mess.
Rue de Rivoli was nonetheless crowded yesterday afternoon, like this.

You got to love the bike path on that street.

So that glass building right there is the only new one of the department store. Everything else is from the Art Deco era or older.

Just a few steps further, there's this Deco building also owned by Samaritaine.

Same building from the little alleys around.

Now back to the glassy facade.

Heading to the river through that alley with the largest building of the department store along.

This tiny footbridge seems to connect the glass building to the older stuff above.

We're heading to the river to see the Deco facade from Pont Neuf.

Here we are on the bridge (Pont Neuf) looking at the Deco facade that's probably the most iconic of that department store.

Voilà, that's enough for now. I took all these pictures yesterday afternoon. If you want more about the renovation of la Samaritaine, see the related thread of pss-archi.eu

Old Posted May 31, 2021, 7:54 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Wow, that's all amazing.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted May 31, 2021, 8:24 PM

^ It's an old town with its flaws. When I think about it, given today's knowledge, starting something new from scratch may almost be easier.

But yeah, as long as it's fairly maintained, it's a pretty old town. A lot of the architecture is consistent and elegant. That's what most of us like about it.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
^ It's an old town with its flaws. When I think about it, given today's knowledge, starting something new from scratch may almost be easier.

But yeah, as long as it's fairly maintained, it's a pretty old town. A lot of the architecture is consistent and elegant. That's what most of us like about it.
Thanks! It does look very nice.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2021, 10:15 PM

They're adding the few extra floors to Aurore, the 1970 tower being renovated at la Défense (see some posts above if curious).

aurore_01 by mousquet, sur Flickr

aurore_02 by mousquet, sur Flickr

Now here's the potentially big news over the high-rise district.
They're removing asbestos from this complex of buildings known as les Miroirs. It's going to be demolished.

miroirs_01 by mousquet, sur Flickr

miroirs_02 by mousquet, sur Flickr

The good news is the complex has sat on a surprisingly large lot that could accomodate 3 actual towers!
That's what they're planning, but nothing official for now. And we've got no rendering yet.
There'll be more news about it later on.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2021, 9:45 PM

They've got some sketches of the 3 towers to build on les Miroirs' lot. See the site in pictures right above.

Trust me, that's going to be some spectacular change right there.
There is more details (for those who can read French) here:

http://www.driee.ile-de-france.devel...e_delibere.pdf

I don't find these to be any serious renderings, but the project is really official now.
It includes 3 buildings.
610, 490 and 310 feet.

Light blue is offices and retail by ground level.
Orange and yellow are hotels.
Green and red are some more retail.

There's nothing residential yet. Somehow, this must still be related to the French egalitarian culture and ideal that fairly says no wealthy dick should live 1000 feet above the ground.
Frankly, that's not entirely wrong when you think about it. But Hermitage Plaza will break that rule anyway.
I expect some (more and more) other local projects to do the same, once it's built.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2021, 7:04 PM

Tribute to Christo and Jeanne-Claude, a couple of contemporary artists who were apparently excited by wrapping stuff.

christo_arc_01 by mousquet, sur Flickr

christo_arc_02 by mousquet, sur Flickr

christo_arc_03 by mousquet, sur Flickr

christo_arc_04 by mousquet, sur Flickr

christo_arc_05 by mousquet, sur Flickr

christo_arc_06 by mousquet, sur Flickr

christo_arc_07 by mousquet, sur Flickr

christo_arc_08 by mousquet, sur Flickr

Don't be shocked, that's obviously only temporary. And it is privately funded. Local taxpayers don't have to pay anything for it.
The arch will look just as usual again within a couple of weeks.

While I was at the Champs-Élysées for this, I took Nike's new Euro flagship store in pictures.

nike_store_01 by mousquet, sur Flickr

nike_store_02 by mousquet, sur Flickr

Because it's been the most expensive building in Paris so far. Like I said earlier in this thread, Nike had to pay US$ 8000 per square foot for this (possibly early) Deco building registered at the National Heritage.
I think it's been a record over here. Although it may have been broken already. I don't know.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2021, 6:41 PM
Homo Platoregimontis

Thanks !! I love what has been done with the Arc de Triomphe !! I don't know many people who like it. That's unfortunate.

Come to see our SC4 cities at http://www.toutsimcity.com/forums/af....php?forum=vil
or here : http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=117089

Old Posted Sep 26, 2021, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Tribute to Christo and Jeanne-Claude, a couple of contemporary artists who were apparently excited by wrapping stuff.

christo_arc_01 by mousquet, sur Flickr
"Art"

Old Posted Sep 26, 2021, 10:21 PM
Registered (Nimby Ab)User

Location: At a computer, wasting my life on a skyscraper website
The only thing more grand and beautiful than Paris is the society and culture that built it

Vive la France, Je Suis Samuel, Je Suis Charlie

I heard the UN is moving its HQ there. The eiffel tower is moving there soon as well. Elon Musk even decided he didnt want to go to mars anymore after visiting.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2021, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitopiaaa View Post
"Art"
Yeah, that's hard to define, isn't it? What is art? Honestly, I don't really know.
It's not necessarily related to your personal taste, culture or what you think of as being beautiful or ugly.
You probably could roughly define it as an endless set of creative and meaningful acts supposed to cause feelings and reactions to people.
That's unrelated to any notion of so called aesthetics, which is questionable too.

As far as I go, I've been amused by this thing because it's quite unusual, showcasing the arch in a very different way. Whether you like it or not, it doesn't leave locals unconcerned or indifferent, careless. I guess that's precisely what they call art is supposed to do.
They are either amused as I am, or find it merely gross, ugly or sometimes even shocking, because they must think it is like desecrating or profaning the monument that was built as a tribute to the Revolutionary then Napoleonic military (and the many lives sacrificed for the old glory of this country).
I'd rather take it easy. I mean, at least, it made a bit of buzz and got a lot of locals curious or interested. That's still something.

I think symbolic monuments like this may be used for such performances, that's no problem. It may even be some part of their purpose.
People everywhere should think about it. This is some way to keep famous monuments alive, somehow.

And again, the fact that it's entirely privately funded is really fine. So some people say - I don't like it, but don't really mind since taxes I have to pay haven't been involved.
It's just a good deal for that reason.

More photos of it here if you're curious. Some photographs must have had some fun with the texture that's actually not bad at all. It's just like some curtain or something.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2021, 7:05 PM
Ex Houstonian

I’d be pissed if I want to Paris and found the arc de triomphe covered in plastic food wrapping. Why exactly was that done? Looks like crap.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2021, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
I’d be pissed if I want to Paris and found the arc de triomphe covered in plastic food wrapping. Why exactly was that done? Looks like crap.
I'm no damn chemist, but I think the material in use is recyclable and just about clean.
Otherwise, the town hall wouldn't have approved it. It would have been too much of a bad communication for them.

Don't worry, when you make it to Paris, we'll make sure you get the actual original arch to take in pictures.

That's only temporary, huh. Only for fun.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2021, 3:02 AM
if I sang out of tune

Quote:
^ Thanks. Rue de Charenton is actually still so so. It is a rather long street with both some pretty buildings and some below average and some grit.
So I think there's quite a few opportunities to try some new things by tearing down what's not so good.
You'll probably be interested in this brick for instance.

Still by ZeusUpsistos, still in the same thread of pass-archi.eu.

Don't ask me what this kind of brick could be. Some sort of better precast? I have no idea.
It just looks like some good work.
This looks Iraqi

Old Posted Nov 24, 2021, 11:25 PM

Construction of the project by the University of Chicago to enlarge their Parisian campuses would be starting.
It is in Paris-Rive-Gauche, a contemporary master plan currently developed in the 13th arrondissement of Central Paris that's already made up of several college campuses and a large startup incubator.
Friendly district to students and yuppies.

Renderings:

https://immobilier.lefigaro.fr/artic...-cb9843f9dd17/

It includes the college facility designed by Chicago's Studio Gang. Who else when Jeanne Gang is locally advertised as a francophile who studied architecture in Versailles?
And 89 residential units designed by a local firm called Parc Architectes, that will be way too expensive for broke students anyway, starting from €397,400 for a 24.4 m² (~263 sq ft) studio to €1.68 mi for a larger 5-room condo (122.7 m² or 1321 sq ft).

I live only a couple miles away from there and will bring some pictures of it to this thread.
It is supposed to be complete by 2024.

Last edited by mousquet; Nov 24, 2021 at 11:37 PM.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2022, 1:18 PM

Some bits of the southeast suburbs of Val-de-Marne neighboring the central city.

The new HQ of the National Forests Office is pretty much completed on the campus of the National Veterinary School of Alfort.

alfort_onf_01 by mousquet, sur Flickr

alfort_onf_02 by mousquet, sur Flickr

alfort_onf_03 by mousquet, sur Flickr

There is a number of small-size residential developments scattered over Maisons-Alfort, Alfortville and Charenton-le-Pont, but the real big chunk of construction over this area is in Ivry-sur-Seine where the Confluences master plan has been implemented.
These are some of the latest in Ivry.

As soon as you cross the bridge from Alfortville, it's a mess of construction sites.

ivry_confluences_01 by mousquet, sur Flickr

This residential complex below was recently completed.
It would include 188 units for sale, 144 rental social-housing, 33 rental units at market rate, a student residence with 170 rooms and a hotel with 170 rooms.
There's also a bit of retail.

ivry_confluences_02 by mousquet, sur Flickr

It's dense and pretty big. I mostly focused on the central alley of the large lot that I hadn't seen yet.

ivry_confluences_03 by mousquet, sur Flickr

The whole thing was built on the site of the former printing house of newspaper Le Monde.
These concrete arches are the remains of it.

ivry_confluences_04 by mousquet, sur Flickr

ivry_confluences_05 by mousquet, sur Flickr

ivry_confluences_06 by mousquet, sur Flickr

Across the main street, there's a pair of 1967 brutalist buildings that were renovated in 2015 and 2 residential buildings under construction, apparently reminiscent of the older ones.

ivry_confluences_07 by mousquet, sur Flickr

ivry_confluences_08 by mousquet, sur Flickr

Then there's more under construction nearby.

ivry_confluences_09 by mousquet, sur Flickr

84 residential units + retail.

ivry_confluences_19 by mousquet, sur Flickr

ivry_confluences_18 by mousquet, sur Flickr

Pretty large lot entirely meant for education. There'll be a school with 25 classrooms, some student housing and a gymnasium.

ivry_confluences_15 by mousquet, sur Flickr

ivry_confluences_16 by mousquet, sur Flickr

ivry_confluences_17 by mousquet, sur Flickr

Right: 65 residential units + retail that you hardly can see cause there's nothing much to be seen yet.
Left: 5 buildings with 283 residential units (including 97 social-housing) and some room for retail and business. I took more pictures of that thing cause it's big.

ivry_confluences_10 by mousquet, sur Flickr

ivry_confluences_11 by mousquet, sur Flickr

ivry_confluences_12 by mousquet, sur Flickr

ivry_confluences_13 by mousquet, sur Flickr

ivry_confluences_14 by mousquet, sur Flickr

View of the whole thing from an alley of the neighborhood.

ivry_confluences_20 by mousquet, sur Flickr

ivry_confluences_21 by mousquet, sur Flickr

3 buildings with 144 units and retail recently completed.

ivry_confluences_24 by mousquet, sur Flickr

ivry_confluences_25 by mousquet, sur Flickr

ivry_confluences_26 by mousquet, sur Flickr

129 units mixing market rate and social housing + some retail. Construction began recently. Nothing much to be seen yet.

ivry_confluences_27 by mousquet, sur Flickr

ivry_confluences_28 by mousquet, sur Flickr

Last but not least, the only building entirely made of offices in there.

ivry_confluences_22 by mousquet, sur Flickr

ivry_confluences_23 by mousquet, sur Flickr

There are still some ruins from the past over the neighborhood, but they won't last for long.
It would take a whole thread to review what was built over Ivry in the past decade. The master plan right there is significant, to reshape much of Ivry.
This is just what's ongoing and a bit of the projects completed lately.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2022, 2:59 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

I like both of the office buildings in that last post, especially the National Forest Office.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations