HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 5:15 PM

Great pictures Tennis. Thanks

Jefferson Parish looks for developers to help revitalize Fat City

https://neworleanscitybusiness.com/b...lize-fat-city/

A 12-year effort to revitalize Metairie’s Fat City corridor continued Friday as Jefferson Parish and its economic development partners sought input from developers interested in working with the parish.

The parish, JEDCO and two partnering organizations issued a Request for Information “to identify creative ideas to develop several public/private-owned land parcels in Fat City,” a news release said The deadline to submit is Feb. 22.

The corridor includes Lakeside Shopping Center and surrounding retail stores, restaurants and other businesses. This is the first RFI that has been issued for the area, where revitalization efforts began in 2009. In 2013, Jefferson Parish leaders considered a Fat City Business Development District to seek voter approval to collect a property tax or parcel fee within its boundaries and dedicate it to projects such as landscaping and parking. Some of the most recent activity in the area includes a Façade Improvement Program that offers forgivable loans to businesses sprucing up their exteriors, art murals at various locations and a new $8.8 million Jefferson Parish Sheriff’s District station.

The RFI, released through legal and consulting firm Faegre Drinker, calls for “interest and qualifications from experienced development teams to design and construct a commercial, civic or mixed-use project that meets Jefferson Parish priorities for Fat City, such as recreational pocket parks, community gathering spaces, public parking and library space.” It has the support of the Metairie Business Development District, GNO Inc. and Jefferson Parish Councilwoman Jennifer Van Vrancken.

According to the news release, there are multiple sites owned by Jefferson Parish entities available for development, and appropriate uses could include:

Innovative housing (e.g. for entrepreneurs, artists, or a post-COVID-19 workforce), as a component of a mixed-use development that provides significant site activation

Public parking, as a component of a mixed-use development

Destination dining experiences (e.g. food hall, rooftop dining, etc.)

Café, coffee shop or other meeting space targeted toward entrepreneurs and investors through curated business programming

Co-working/hot-desk location

Commercial, business, or retail spaces, especially incubator spaces for entrepreneurship, arts and technology

Civic uses (e.g. urban park, public library, cultural center, event space, public meeting/presentation rooms, business development office, community garden, dog park, etc.)

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 8:24 PM

Are there still plans to put a drive-thru PJ's on Claiborne? I think I saw an old post but I can't remember/find it.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2021, 4:10 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by socigradstudent View Post
Are there still plans to put a drive-thru PJ's on Claiborne? I think I saw an old post but I can't remember/find it.
Yes

Old Posted Feb 21, 2021, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Yes
Where on Claiborne will it be? Do you have the renderings still?

Old Posted Feb 22, 2021, 12:16 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by socigradstudent View Post
Where on Claiborne will it be? Do you have the renderings still?

2616-2632 S Claiborne Ave (Ref. Code: Y0V0FY)
CPC Staff Report
Meeting Date: Nov 24 2020 1:30PM
Docket Number: ZD082-20
Type: Conditional Use
Supporting Documents Available: Yes
Description
ZONING DOCKET 082/20 - Request by UJMK Realty LLC for a conditional use to permit drive-through facilities at a specialty restaurant in an MU-1 Medium Intensity Mixed-Use District, an HUC Historic Urban Corridor Use Restriction Overlay District, and an EC Enhancement Corridor Design Overlay District, on Square 403, Lots A, B, C, C, and D, in the Fourth Municipal District, bounded by South Claiborne Avenue, Fourth Street, Third Street, and Willow Street. The municipal addresses are 2616-2632 South Claiborne Avenue. (PD 2)

Old Posted Feb 22, 2021, 12:40 AM
-

1 Poydras St Spc 1005·New Construction · Ref Code:HDVW7G
Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
New Construction
Applicant:
Scott Evans
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
2/12/2021
Closed:
No
Description:
Interior build out of a vacant building shell for a bar and restaurant.

1431 Cleveland Ave·Renovation (Non-Structural) · Ref Code:4DKNNY
Type:
Renovation (Non-Structural)
Applicant:
Donald Maginnis
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
2/18/2021
Closed:
No
Description:
1st Floor Renovations

135 St Charles Ave·Renovation (Non-Structural) · Ref Code:Y7113P
Type:
Applicant:
Donahuefavret Contractors Inc
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
2/18/2021
Closed:
No
Description:
level one and exterior renovation

135 St Charles Ave·Renovation (Non-Structural) · Ref Code:UGGCA8
Type:
Applicant:
Donahuefavret Contractors Inc
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
2/17/2021
Closed:
No
Description:
Guest room and Corridor renovation, floors 2-10

1623 Oretha Castle Haley Blvd·Renovation (Non-Structural) · Ref Code:W2G2VB
Type:
Applicant:
Bo Pennington
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
2/16/2021
Closed:
No
Description:
1st Floor Renovation - Install 2 bathrooms, new MEP, drywall, interior doors, paint and flooring. 2nd Floor Renovation - new kitchen, new MEP, drywall, interior doors, paint and tile in bathroom of the left side ONLY (right side unit is occupied and rented)

djsnola
2331 Robert E Lee Blvd·Renovation (Non-Structural) · Ref Code:S48V87
Type:
Applicant:
Danielle Duhe
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
2/17/2021
Closed:
No
Description:
Renovation at Boe Playspot including new play structures and pathways around park. This project is part of a package with NORDC that includes 3 playgrounds as one bid package.

715 St Charles Ave·Renovation (Non-Structural) · Permit #21-03951-RNVN · Ref Code:REM2BH
Download (3) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Applicant:
Christione Turner
Permit Issued
Date Filed:
2/10/2021
Closed:
No
Description:
***NO EXTERIOR WORK*** Cosmetic repairs to existing restaurant. Work will include installation of new light fixtures on existing electrical, new tile in bathrooms, wood decorations affixed to walls, and interior painting.

djsnola
749 St Charles Ave·Renovation (Structural) · Ref Code:C0WPWT
Type:
Renovation (Structural)
Applicant:
Gorman Heather
Draft Application
Date Filed:
2/12/2021
Closed:
No
Description:
• Assessment of existing conditions and identification of deficient materials and non-performing components of the existing assembly • Installation of appropriate anchorages and fasteners as required to secure existing components to the existing structure • Installation of shoring and bracing as required to address deficient conditions of the existing canopy • Removal and retention of any deteriorated/deficient materials as required to eliminate any eminent hazards

THE BODY SHOP 318 N ALEXANDER ST NEW ORLEANS LA Orleans AR.36.0000016721-BL AR.BL - CLASS A RESTAURANT BEER AND LIQUOR 3600016721

LE CHAT NOIR RESTAURANT 715 ST CHARLES AVE NEW ORLEANS LA Orleans AG.36.0000115508-BL AG.BL - CLASS A GENERAL BEER AND LIQUOR 3600115508

CHICKS 1136 DECATUR ST NEW ORLEANS LA Orleans AR.36.0000016720-BL AR.BL - CLASS A RESTAURANT BEER AND LIQUOR 3600016720 PENDING 02/19/2021

Project Number 43,004
Project
843 Camp St.
New Orleans, LA 70130
Part 1:
Received:
02/10/2021

Part 2:
Received:
Fee(1) Received:
Fee(2) Received:

Part 3:
Received:
Fee(1) Received:
Fee(2) Received:

Old Posted Feb 22, 2021, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Eh I think they're sending a clear message that they don't want Kailas involved. If Kailas sold the land and a more reputable developer came thru with a highrise proposal, they would probably consider it - especially after a few years.

The risk is that Kailas continues to sit on it and uses it for parking.

Developers can build tall if they want to, there are multiple sites in the CBD that could support tall towers. Canal Place Phase 3, the old Trump Tower site, Piazza D'Italia, multiple sites along Rampart and O'Keefe, etc. Highrises are just really expensive to build on a cost/SF basis, and the land isn't so costly that you need a highrise to make it pay.

The proposed convention center hotel is a highrise, so is the Caesars hotel. There hasn't really been any pushback on the building height in either case.
that site on Canal will be one of the best sites in the city. I don't see why Kailas would sell it if they are going to continue working in New Orleans. The council asked the planning department to report on the permit...the same planning department which gave them permission to do the hotel by right. Considering COVID & VCPORA etc. objecting to height, it doesn't make too much sense for a new developer to roll the dice. The city should be pushing to finish the building as planned or with some modifications which would help the enlarging financial hole covid left.

Canal Place phase 3 and the Trump Tower site are both privately controlled and are NOT for sale. Piazza d'Italia is a city site, which will need an RFP and the best of luck to finish the process without lawsuits. The Hard Rock site is probably the best site in the city.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2021, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnolae16 View Post
that site on Canal will be one of the best sites in the city. I don't see why Kailas would sell it if they are going to continue working in New Orleans. The council asked the planning department to report on the permit...the same planning department which gave them permission to do the hotel by right. Considering COVID & VCPORA etc. objecting to height, it doesn't make too much sense for a new developer to roll the dice. The city should be pushing to finish the building as planned or with some modifications which would help the enlarging financial hole covid left.

Canal Place phase 3 and the Trump Tower site are both privately controlled and are NOT for sale. Piazza d'Italia is a city site, which will need an RFP and the best of luck to finish the process without lawsuits. The Hard Rock site is probably the best site in the city.
The Hard Rock was given an exemption to building above current requirements by the council, so there's no reason they can't revoke the exemption. If I were a council member, I would have already been angry since the Kailas did a bait-and-switch, getting a height exemption for a residential project and then converting it to a hotel. If there's one thing that will incur the wrath of the VCPORA, it's more hotels in the quarter.

At the very least I would expect the council to not approve any exemptions until all expenses related to the disaster are reimbursed. But I can't see the council opening itself up to more criticism by granting any zoning waivers to Kailas at this site.

The city definitely needs to get its act together to develop properties such as the Piazza lot. It also needs to figure out a way more of those prime lots you mentioned developed. I'm in favor of a surface parking tax as I think the current property tax setup undervalues surface parking lots in the CBD and discourages sale or development of those lots.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 12:34 AM
NOLA Razorback

Kailas has absolutely ZERO business building anything ever again. I can't imagine them ever getting a permit again, nor should they.

Last edited by jjslonaker; Feb 23, 2021 at 6:39 AM.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 4:33 AM

Is the Le Chat Noir renovations actually them returning to their old building? That would be too good to be true.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 12:46 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyinnola View Post
Is the Le Chat Noir renovations actually them returning to their old building? That would be too good to be true.
Well the name is coming back for sure to that spot.. not sure about the theatre part but would be weird if not.

Mercedes Benz Poydras:

UMC Garage:

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokowave View Post
The Hard Rock was given an exemption to building above current requirements by the council, so there's no reason they can't revoke the exemption. If I were a council member, I would have already been angry since the Kailas did a bait-and-switch, getting a height exemption for a residential project and then converting it to a hotel. If there's one thing that will incur the wrath of the VCPORA, it's more hotels in the quarter.

At the very least I would expect the council to not approve any exemptions until all expenses related to the disaster are reimbursed. But I can't see the council opening itself up to more criticism by granting any zoning waivers to Kailas at this site.

The city definitely needs to get its act together to develop properties such as the Piazza lot. It also needs to figure out a way more of those prime lots you mentioned developed. I'm in favor of a surface parking tax as I think the current property tax setup undervalues surface parking lots in the CBD and discourages sale or development of those lots.
For what its worth, the first block of Canal street on the french quarter side is not in a VCPORA district, its just HDLC. The site is zoned CBD-3 which allows for hotel by right and i think we can expect to see some form of hotel one way or another. The only things in question are the various height waivers that the site has and whether or not they will continue for the next development either by Kailas or someone else who buys that parcel. I cannot imagine Kialas not selling given the amount of liability he is facing.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 4:35 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickapedia View Post
For what its worth, the first block of Canal street on the french quarter side is not in a VCPORA district, its just HDLC. The site is zoned CBD-3 which allows for hotel by right and i think we can expect to see some form of hotel one way or another. The only things in question are the various height waivers that the site has and whether or not they will continue for the next development either by Kailas or someone else who buys that parcel. I cannot imagine Kialas not selling given the amount of liability he is facing.
One would think he would sell. And you are right that its a hotel as of right. I think everyone here can agree that it would be best if the current owners sold to third parties so the liability can be lifted off the site and it can be developed. As for the Kailas folks, they are moving forward on 1010 common and Jackson Oaks projects still. Im sure they have shielded themselves from a lot of the liability. I did see citadels office in Metairie is closed and for lease now. No surprise there, certainly the General Contractor and the Engineers (Heaslip) are in the end the most responsible for this failure. However, city inspectors falsifying their inspections of the jobsite opens the city up to lawsuits as well. My guess is another thing that will change going forward will be the inspection process of larger projects. Expect the city to require developers to hire third parties to inspect and confirm the project is done correctly and built to correct standards. Will help offload some of the liability.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 4:55 PM
-

Old Posted Feb 24, 2021, 4:18 AM

Rumors abound here in Slidell that Amazon will be building a fulfillment center on land off of Old Spanish Trail and Town Centre Parkway. The rumors have gotten loud enough that it made the Slidell paper.

Quote:
While few details about the site have gone public, The Independent has learned from anonymous sources that the large plot of land at the corner of Old Spanish Trail and Town Center Parkway will be the site for an Amazon distribution center.
A land clearing permit was recently approved by the city of Slidell for Amazon and construction is expected to start immediately on the site that is aiming for completion by the end of 2021, with operations to begin early in 2022.
The Slidell fulfillment center will be one of the smaller versions, but still employ up to 400 workers with pay reportedly beginning at the lowest level in the $15 to $20 an hour range with full benefits.
https://www.slidell-independent.com/...er-in-slidell/

Old Posted Feb 24, 2021, 6:57 PM

In other news:

https://www.al.com/news/2021/02/amtr...g-in-2022.html
Amtrak Announces New Gulf Coast Service to Start in 2022

It seems that the host railroads were delaying the studies indefinitely, so Amtrak took the step of declaring it intends to start the New Orleans - Mobile service as soon as January 2022. It's great to see a more aggressive approach from Amtrak.

Hopefully the stars will soon align with the current federal and state administrations to get the New Orleans-Baton Rouge service going. While that route would require more substantial investment in some new bridges, a more aggressive Amtrak could probably make it work with less time and money than a lot of the studies have suggested, since KCS barely uses the line right now.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 11:33 PM
NOLA Razorback

Canal St Marriot

Does anyone know what's going on in front of the Canal st Marriot? Traffic is closed heading towards the lake and it looks like they're trucking in a tower crane

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 1:39 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickapedia View Post
For what its worth, the first block of Canal street on the french quarter side is not in a VCPORA district, its just HDLC.
VCPORA is a community group, not affiliated with the city. VCC is the agency responsible for reviewing new buildings in the French Quarter.

You're correct that the VCC deliberately excludes the strip between Canal and Iberville (map). VCPORA has no such restriction. Their boundaries are whatever they want them to be, and they will almost certainly protest and maybe sue to keep another highrise out of this site the same way they have kept Habana Outpost tied up or in court for 5 years and counting. It's a sick joke at this point.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 2:27 AM

what is "The Body Shop"?

Given the location, I'm guessing it's Sidney Torres, extending Treps with a new standalone bar?

Also a few other mid-city notes:

The old Police Academy near City Park and Bienville has been under renovation for a few months now, and is going to be the new NOFD HQ.

The old Buds Broiler has had people in there the last week or two cleaning things out. They took down a fence that backed up to the railroad tracks. I was told the city told them they had to do it because it interfered with the future plans for the greenway. So, I guess 1) Curren$y isnt doing the burger place anymore? and 2) are plans for the next phase of the greenway connecting it to city park and/or the canal blvd hub about to start up?

Also, does anyone know if Aron Sanchez still owns the old Rehage building at Bienville and City Park? I saw articles from 2019 that he bought it and was going to make a casual dining place, but I dont know how much COVID derailed that.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 6:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjslonaker View Post
Does anyone know what's going on in front of the Canal st Marriot? Traffic is closed heading towards the lake and it looks like they're trucking in a tower crane
I saw a notice recently about the Marriott replacing some HVAC equipment, so that's probably what that was.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations