HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 12, 2019, 9:00 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrinChi View Post
Me too. This is the only time I can remember that I've wished for a building to be shorter, haha. I wish that this building and the one on Randolph/Wabash would trade places. And I still wish they would do a facadectomy here. The new podium is pretty much the exact shape of the existing building.
I spoke with someone at Sterling Bay and they told me that the building couldn't be salvaged. Which, who knows..

Old Posted Aug 12, 2019, 9:00 PM
you know where I'll be

^ Of the existing 300 N Michigan building? To me - and I love preserving architecturally significant history - it just doesn't meet the standard that would warrant a facadectomy. I might be missing something, but it's fairly nondescript in my vew...

Old Posted Aug 12, 2019, 9:27 PM

For me, saving a facade on a building like 300 N Michigan isn't about preserving exemplary architecture, it's about preserving as much pre-automobile pedestrian scale as possible. I love the design of this building other than the blocking of Carbide & Carbon, but I will still vote preservation every time when a solid, human-scaled urban building like this is involved. Demolition is still too common.

Thanks, dan_ryan for the info from SB. It must have been too expensive to salvage.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2019, 10:04 PM

Quote:
For me, saving a facade on a building like 300 N Michigan isn't about preserving exemplary architecture, it's about preserving as much pre-automobile pedestrian scale as possible. I love the design of this building other than the blocking of Carbide & Carbon, but I will still vote preservation every time when a solid, human-scaled urban building like this is involved. Demolition is still too common.

Thanks, dan_ryan for the info from SB. It must have been too expensive to salvage.
The building is pretty mediocre at the pedestrian level though... certainly no better than what is going to replace it, in fact, the new building will be far more inviting and make the sidewalk feel less cramped

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 1:23 AM
Chicago

The Bentham - 146 W Erie

August 12, 2019

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 1:28 AM
Chicago

300 N Michigan

August 12, 2019

A construction surveyor in the foreground.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 1:37 AM

^It needs some work on the first floor, but if this was in Fulton Market, it would be gobbled up like that!

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 3:28 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 View Post
The building is pretty mediocre at the pedestrian level though... certainly no better than what is going to replace it, in fact, the new building will be far more inviting and make the sidewalk feel less cramped
It's like what BrinChi said, the building now is pedestrian scale. How is an overwhelming pedestal more inviting or less cramped for the sidewalk?

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 9:12 AM

It's The Loop! We don't need 4 story buildings there because they make you feel comfortable.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Phase 3 of Atrium Village/Old Town Park has its zoning app up. 41 floors (447 feet 2 inches), 456 units, 60 hotel rooms, 194 car parking spaces, and 185 bicycle storage spots. Some of the residential units would be shared living ("co living spaces"?).
Atrium Village Phase 3 lined up a new construction building permit for the foundation and floors 1 through underside of 6. Not sure how this works with a pending zoning app but at least they have this lined up.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarWind View Post
August 12, 2019

A construction surveyor in the foreground.
an irreplaceable piece of history.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 1:39 PM

^^^ 300 N Michigan will be the 7th hotel on that triangle block. Just thought that was interesting.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 2:58 PM
devout Pizzatarian

725 W Randolph discussion moved to its dedicated thread: https://forum.skyscraperpage.com/sho...d.php?t=230232

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 3:28 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by killaviews View Post
^^^ 300 N Michigan will be the 7th hotel on that triangle block. Just thought that was interesting.
Who'da thought tourists would pay top dollar to stay right at the nexus of the Mag Mile, Millennium Park and the Riverwalk?

This is what we mean when we say "highest and best use".... clearly tourists place a higher value on this location than any other group, including Chicago residents (for residential) or employers (for office). So developers will make the most money building hotels.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan ryan View Post
It's like what BrinChi said, the building now is pedestrian scale. How is an overwhelming pedestal more inviting or less cramped for the sidewalk?
Because compare the two buildings side by side and it's night and day... the new building will look nice, clean, and inviting. The one that is there now is out of place, dirty, and the first floor is ugly as sin while also being half windowless wall. A full glass base that can be lit up will make people fine with walking by there too. That building is the last part of Michigan Avenue north of Congress that isn't pleasant.

Pedestrian scale doesn't mean pedestrian friendly. Also, why do we want pedestrian scale in the middle of one of the largest CBDs in human history?

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 4:32 PM
you know where I'll be

duplicate

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 4:32 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Who'da thought tourists would pay top dollar to stay right at the nexus of the Mag Mile, Millennium Park and the Riverwalk?

This is what we mean when we say "highest and best use".... clearly tourists place a higher value on this location than any other group, including Chicago residents (for residential) or employers (for office). So developers will make the most money building hotels.
This building is residential as well. I believe roughly 300 apartment units.

The new (built within the last few years anyway) 200 North Michigan, similar scale and 1 block due south (perhaps only just marginally less attractive as a hotel location - perhaps) is all residential. This is clearly a prime mixed-use area. I think you are wrong in your assessment that hotels are a higher and better use than residential at the 300 N Michigan location. I assess them to be pretty equal at the top. This does go against the heard mentality/group-think posture of urban real estate in general, in which typically a single use comes to dominate a particular district - or if not quite dominate, then at least become the clear preferred usage in new developments/redevelopments. However, there are some areas that are just fundamentally roughly equally appealing among 2 or 3 uses. That's definitely the case for the Millennium Park to River strip.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 4:39 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCorsair87 View Post
^It needs some work on the first floor, but if this was in Fulton Market, it would be gobbled up like that!

Yes but that would also be in keeping with the character of Fulton Market. Also (not that land prices would not justify it, mind you, more so because of entitlement-related constraints), nobody is (generally - at least not as yet) putting up a 45 story tower on a smallish parcel in Fulton.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 4:47 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:

I just think there needs to be a reasonable bar that must be exceeded to justify this type of facadectomy - both from the standpoint of public policy - and in terms of justified for a developer to weigh that option privately. This building is just not good enough to justify it. I don't think it's bad, but it would need to be better than not bad - or "old", or "pedestrian scaled".

It could be though that what needs to be done as part of the entitlement process is to incorporate a design review (I know, I know, Chicago doesn't do stuff like that......though who knows, maybe under the Lightfoot admin., the new DPD commissioner will push for instituting something) that would ensure a human-scaled design at street level (clearly this doesn't mean faux oldey-time Lagrange trash design, mind you).

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 5:10 PM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by killaviews View Post
And hell for the poor guy who has to squeeze them onto the tourist maps.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations