HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 7:41 AM

Is this project still going to happen?

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 7:35 PM

Mural West Tower Set To Rise At 523 North Broad Street In Callowhill, North Philadelphia

Quote:
Construction has yet to break ground on Mural West, a 363-foot-tall mixed-use building at 523 North Broad Street on the border of the Poplar and Callowhill neighborhoods of North Philadelphia. Designed by Atkin Olshin Schade Architects and developed by Eric Blumenfeld, the 32-story building will add some verticality to the area around North Broad Street north of the Vine Street Expressway, which has seen minimal skyline development since the dome-topped Inquirer Building was completed in 1924. The project will include a mix of retail space, offices, and residential area.
Read more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2020/09/mura...ladelphia.html

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 10:56 PM

^Really pushing that website - huh?

Old Posted Sep 7, 2020, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawnadelphia View Post
^Really pushing that website - huh?
Haha, no, just stumbled upon it and thought it was cool to revisit some of these proposals. Plus, I think it’s a forum member’s website, so cool to support him.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2020, 4:27 PM

This was suppose to start last year, in July. Do all real estate developers, and presidents, have to lie? What's wrong with saying something like 'we'll start construction as soon as we have all the needed financing and permits in hand'?

Old Posted Sep 7, 2020, 10:35 PM

This is by far the most impactful development on the table right now. Hope it's built!

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 2:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairmounter View Post
This is by far the most impactful development on the table right now. Hope it's built!
"Most impactful development by far" for where? The CITY? Assuming you mean the immediate 'hood. I think this is a great project though.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 12:48 PM

I do wonder what's taking this project so long to get off the ground. If market conditions are favorable enough for a (albeit squat) building with a greater number of units to rise across the street, then isn't it plausible to assume that the demand to live on the other side of Broad and Spring Garden exists? Additionally, the site lies within a QOZ, which should further press a developer to proceed with the project.

I'm really hoping that this does get built! Between this, the new building under construction across the street, and 545 North Broad (the building that's supposed to rise on the site of the former Pep Boys store), Broad and Spring Garden will receive a lot of new foot traffic. That would help a lot of businesses in the area, including Clementine's Stable Cafe, which just opened along North Broad.

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 4:16 PM

Ive lost faith in that one.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 2:14 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
I do wonder what's taking this project so long to get off the ground. If market conditions are favorable enough for a (albeit squat) building with a greater number of units to rise across the street, then isn't it plausible to assume that the demand to live on the other side of Broad and Spring Garden exists? Additionally, the site lies within a QOZ, which should further press a developer to proceed with the project.

I'm really hoping that this does get built! Between this, the new building under construction across the street, and 545 North Broad (the building that's supposed to rise on the site of the former Pep Boys store), Broad and Spring Garden will receive a lot of new foot traffic. That would help a lot of businesses in the area, including Clementine's Stable Cafe, which just opened along North Broad.
Keep in mind this is Blumenfeld's first new-build proposal. All of his other projects so far have been renos. Historically it has been difficult for developers to move from being renovators to new construction builders. But time and again, Blumenfeld has shown that, if you're patient with him, and willing to let him work at his own pace, he can get projects done.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 7:24 PM

I was taking a stroll through the neighborhood when I noticed new signage up at the corner of Broad and Spring Garden:

Peering at the website listed, I found a PDF full of marketing materials:

https://jb5.193.myftpupload.com/wp-c...en-Medical.pdf

Upon looking through the marketing materials, I noticed two interesting tidbits:

1.) It seems as though the project has been downsized. Originally, this tower was supposed to be 30 stories with 290 residential units. Now, the marketing materials say that it will be 20 +/- stories with 205 +/- residential units.

2.) There's a 68,000 sf office component, which I believe is new.

3.) This project is slated to begin in Fall 2020

With the new construction permit expiring on December 17th, I'm hopeful that this one will begin soon!

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post

Upon looking through the marketing materials, I noticed two interesting tidbits:

1.) It seems as though the project has been downsized. Originally, this tower was supposed to be 30 stories with 290 residential units. Now, the marketing materials say that it will be 20 +/- stories with 205 +/- residential units.

2.) There's a 68,000 sf office component, which I believe is new.

3.) This project is slated to begin in Fall 2020

With the new construction permit expiring on December 17th, I'm hopeful that this one will begin soon!
The renderings in the PDF enclosed are all almost exactly the same as the old ones, though the crown has been changed again. Same # of floors, so I'm hoping that "20+ stories" really means 29 or 30 stories. Regardless, good news that it'll get off the ground soon!

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 8:34 PM

Looking good! Even at 20-stories, this would be a win for the area. So... built it already Blumenfeld!

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 1:00 AM

I think the Domus sign has been on on the fence for a long time

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 4:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
I think the Domus sign has been on on the fence for a long time
Yeah, the Domus sign has been there for over a year at this point. The PRG sign was new though. I walked past that corner last week and didn't notice it, so it's fairly recent. I'm hoping that it's a sign that Mural West will begin soon!

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 6:20 AM

Are there any updates on this gorgeous project? It will fill in a significant hole in the North Broad "Gateway"

Old Posted Feb 20, 2021, 3:53 AM

It's past Fall 2020, is there going to be a Mural Arts Tower or not?

Old Posted Feb 21, 2021, 8:47 PM

^^^^^^^
Only Eric knows. Why don't you give him a call? Eric Blumenfeld

Old Posted May 9, 2021, 12:30 PM

I was reading a PhillyVoice article about all of the new Giant supermarkets opening up across the city, when this line in particular caught my interest:

“And at the corner of North Broad and Spring Garden streets, Giant will open a 50,000 square-foot-store in conjunction with developer EBRM's plans to build two apartment towers.”

I was under the assumption that the new Giant was planned to go in LVL North, the building rising at the NW corner of Broad and Spring Garden. Did the author mix up the projects, or is this really going in at 523 N Broad? If the latter is the case, then this project is still very much alive!

Old Posted May 9, 2021, 4:02 PM

This project was never dead, Blumenfeld just takes his time.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals