HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted May 9, 2021, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
I was reading a PhillyVoice article about all of the new Giant supermarkets opening up across the city, when this line in particular caught my interest:

“And at the corner of North Broad and Spring Garden streets, Giant will open a 50,000 square-foot-store in conjunction with developer EBRM's plans to build two apartment towers.”

I was under the assumption that the new Giant was planned to go in LVL North, the building rising at the NW corner of Broad and Spring Garden. Did the author mix up the projects, or is this really going in at 523 N Broad? If the latter is the case, then this project is still very much alive!
I think it's word salad. I think it's just saying there's a Giant going in at Broad and Spring Garden -AND- Blumenfeld is planning two apartment towers.

I'm certain you're right in that Giant is going into the lame building at the NW corner.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2022, 2:21 AM

Well it looks like this thing will be getting underway soon. I think the smaller building will be built first and then the tower. Looks like the local RCO posted the news according to OCF. I will say a 2023 delivery is highly ambitious for both the tower and the Giant Heirloom.
West Poplar RCO Post: https://www.instagram.com/p/CZ3GoXKL..._web_copy_link

OCF Article: https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...-tower-be-next

Old Posted Feb 23, 2022, 2:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimpskibot View Post
Well it looks like this thing will be getting underway soon. I think the smaller building will be built first and then the tower. Looks like the local RCO posted the news according to OCF. I will say a 2023 delivery is highly ambitious for both the tower and the Giant Heirloom.
West Poplar RCO Post: https://www.instagram.com/p/CZ3GoXKL..._web_copy_link

OCF Article: https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...-tower-be-next
Unfortunately, this is a mistake by the RCO. The Giant is going in the bottom of LVL North.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2022, 5:21 PM

A few things:

-The Giant going in at LVL North is just a regular Giant store. Giant Heirloom Market's are supposed to be a more urban upscale grocery store meant to compete with Whole Foods and Trader Joe's. Would Giant open an Heirloom store right across from a standard Giant though? Would that make sense?

-It also sounds to me like a word salad. Giant is opening at 50,000 square foot store at Broad & Spring Garden AND Blumenfeld is building two residential towers.... I think that was the intention and the idea of the post.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2022, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
A few things:

-The Giant going in at LVL North is just a regular Giant store. Giant Heirloom Market's are supposed to be a more urban upscale grocery store meant to compete with Whole Foods and Trader Joe's. Would Giant open an Heirloom store right across from a standard Giant though? Would that make sense?

-It also sounds to me like a word salad. Giant is opening at 50,000 square foot store at Broad & Spring Garden AND Blumenfeld is building two residential towers.... I think that was the intention and the idea of the post.
The OCF Article cites the RCO post though, which makes no mention of Blumenfeld's towers in the comments (but posted a picture of his development).

Old Posted Sep 12, 2022, 12:42 AM

Hey all, don’t give your hopes up but I just got an email from SGCA that Blumenfeld will be speaking at our next community meeting about his latest new projects “INCLUDING MURAL WEST”.

Will keep you posted. Maybe this project isn’t dead after all

Old Posted Sep 12, 2022, 2:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh07 View Post
Hey all, don’t give your hopes up but I just got an email from SGCA that Blumenfeld will be speaking at our next community meeting about his latest new projects “INCLUDING MURAL WEST”.

When is the next meeting?

Old Posted Sep 12, 2022, 2:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
When is the next meeting?

The 15th at 7pm via zoom. I’ll be getting on a plane but will try to listen in as much as I can.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2022, 11:35 AM

hell yeah, great update skyhigh07. My prediction: looks nothing like what has been proposed so far. Though, I like the original design and do hope they keep it.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2022, 7:09 AM

Quote:

From post #19 of this thread----Developer Blumenfeld targets July for North Broad Street office-and-apartment tower groundbreaking (July 2019)

I hope he can pull it out of the dumpster and make it happen, the first couple proposals were pretty good. But.....it's been 4 years of go, go time for development in general and that area specifically, I wouldn't be too hopeful that anything comes of this until new faces get involved.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 11:30 PM

Quote:

Did anything interesting come from this?

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helloworld View Post
Did anything interesting come from this?
Sounds like the current tower proposal may have been scrapped but not sure if some kind other high rise may eventually be incorporated into the development. Minutes from the meeting on the new proposal:

“ The first project is what he is calling a “World Class Museum” on the Northeast Corner of Broad and Spring Garden Streets - - the Guggenheim of Philadelphia - - to be built in the parking lot of Mural Lofts (the former Stevens Administrative Building). The architect showed an artist’s rendering of what the Museum might look like. It has a lattice-like façade and stands perhaps 6 to 8 stories high. Eric has a Billionaire investor in mind who he thinks might put up the money to do this project. Eric believes it would be a new and important destination, bringing people into the City, and giving us a platform for artists in our community. The vision includes an Art Institute, space for local art and artists, and a world class collection of art, presumably provided by the Investor.”

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 4:45 PM

I’ll wait for an official confirmation, but if that’s true, I’m weirdly fine with it.

It sounds like we’re trading a tower here for a tower a few blocks north at 640 N Broad, and that’s fine by me.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Sounds like the current tower proposal may have been scrapped but not sure if some kind other high rise may eventually be incorporated into the development. Minutes from the meeting on the new proposal:

“ The first project is what he is calling a “World Class Museum” on the Northeast Corner of Broad and Spring Garden Streets - - the Guggenheim of Philadelphia - - to be built in the parking lot of Mural Lofts (the former Stevens Administrative Building). The architect showed an artist’s rendering of what the Museum might look like. It has a lattice-like façade and stands perhaps 6 to 8 stories high. Eric has a Billionaire investor in mind who he thinks might put up the money to do this project. Eric believes it would be a new and important destination, bringing people into the City, and giving us a platform for artists in our community. The vision includes an Art Institute, space for local art and artists, and a world class collection of art, presumably provided by the Investor.”
Can you provide the link that says that?

I dont see that on this link:https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jbP...W8cG9Dhk4/view

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post

I dont see that on this link:https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jbP...W8cG9Dhk4/view
I got it from a separate SGCA newsletter that was emailed to members a few days ago. It’s not posted on their website yet.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 5:03 PM

Quote:
I got it from a separate SGCA newsletter that was emailed to members a few days ago. It’s not posted on their website yet.
That's wild! Can't wait to hear more.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 5:19 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

That's a little disappointing, I definitely was hoping for some height on that corner.

4 low rises on a prominent city corner with subways stops.

I guess the only thing we can hope for now is for the CVS to be redeveloped.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 5:22 PM

I actually like this more than the tower. A signature piece like this at Broad & Spring Garden make a lot of sense. This is all predicated on Eric delivering on a Guggenheim-esque project, and not something cheesy.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 7:14 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
That's a little disappointing, I definitely was hoping for some height on that corner.

4 low rises on a prominent city corner with subways stops.

I guess the only thing we can hope for now is for the CVS to be redeveloped.
Wasn't that retail podium constructed just a few years ago?
Not to say it can't be replaced though.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post

What's this about?

"Eric Blumenfeld presented plans at the September 15 SGCA general membership meeting for the demo of a low rise non-historical building located at the SW corner of his 640 N. Broad St. property, and the construction of a new 36 story high rise at the site. The project includes mechanized parking, a 1st floor restaurant, a public plaza, a coffee shop, and new windows on the Wallace St side to enliven that block. There would be a total of 580 units in the old and new buildings combined, and 263 parking
spaces. Eric said more parking could be added if needed."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals