HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 4:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldive View Post
Fantastic African city tour nite... thx!
I just focused on the big East African Cities, their are about 10 other African cities building at a similar rate.

Last edited by Nite; Sep 7, 2020 at 4:36 PM.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 4:47 AM
Meh

The face I would have made years ago if someone had told me our skyline would look the way it does today. I would have thought they were crazy.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 4:58 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Echoing others, thanks for the African city pics, Nite.

Very eye-opening for this stereotypical american navel-gazer.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 2:39 PM
The Vomit Bag.

very cool tour of some African cities. I was familiar with Nairobi and Dar es Salaam, but I had no idea what Addis Ababa and Maputo looked like. Much more interesting than I might have expected, esp. Addis Ababa.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 4:42 PM

I love seeing not only the American development pics but from around the world as well.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 4:54 PM

Addis almost looks like it's in a fictitious tropical part of the former USSR, somewhat central Asian. Definitely not what you expect an African city to look like. This could come from it's altitude, which makes it probably the coldest big city in Africa, aside from maybe Joburg or Capetown.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2020, 3:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
very cool tour of some African cities. I was familiar with Nairobi and Dar es Salaam, but I had no idea what Addis Ababa and Maputo looked like. Much more interesting than I might have expected, esp. Addis Ababa.
Maputo is certainly a gem of a city that I expect alot out of in the next decade especially if oil prices rebound

Old Posted Sep 7, 2020, 3:21 AM
An Optimistic Realist

The African cities remind me a bit of the South American cities with many of the concrete towers. Both continents are rising to importance and the skylines shows. Makes me want to plan a trip to Africa in the future.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2020, 3:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
The African cities remind me a bit of the South American cities with many of the concrete towers. Both continents are rising to importance and the skylines shows. Makes me want to plan a trip to Africa in the future.
Africa is very diverse in all aspects and I wouldn't say the south American style dominates the continent. there are cities which resemble Europeans, North American and Asian cities for example and the middle and upper class suburbs are usually straight out of North American with single-family housing sprawl to the horizon. However the most South American looking are Maputo, Mozambique and Luanda, Angola

This is Luanda, Angola

Last edited by Nite; Sep 7, 2020 at 4:57 AM.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2020, 4:01 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

I need to make it out to Africa someday if I'm gonna hit up all 7 continents (I already have the hard one down...just Africa and embarrassingly Asia to go... especially embarrassing because my wife was born in the Philippines). Easiest to visit might be Ethiopia (direct flight from Chicago!) or South Africa (my officemate is from Pretoria).

Old Posted Sep 7, 2020, 9:08 AM

San Antonio

San Antonio (where my mother was born) underperforms in relation to other Texas cities. Not sure why. Look at nearby Austin skyline growth in recent years.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 3:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
San Antonio (where my mother was born) underperforms in relation to other Texas cities. Not sure why. Look at nearby Austin skyline growth in recent years.
Right. People who are not familiar with city populations might think Austin was the bigger city based on it's growing skyline.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 6:44 AM

Africa, impressive.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 6:41 PM

Very cool to see those African cities! In the US I would venture San Antonio, Salt Lake City, Sacramento and maybe San Diego which seems ready for more residential highrises.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 9:12 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
I need to make it out to Africa someday if I'm gonna hit up all 7 continents (I already have the hard one down...just Africa and embarrassingly Asia to go... especially embarrassing because my wife was born in the Philippines). Easiest to visit might be Ethiopia (direct flight from Chicago!) or South Africa (my officemate is from Pretoria).
I have yet to visit Africa, but it is high on my list. I've been to all other continents, except Antarctica and Africa. 6 trips to Asia so far (should have been 7, but for covid), 1 to South America, 2 to Australia, and countless trips around North America and Europe.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Oct 5, 2020, 2:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossabreezes View Post
Addis almost looks like it's in a fictitious tropical part of the former USSR, somewhat central Asian. Definitely not what you expect an African city to look like. This could come from it's altitude, which makes it probably the coldest big city in Africa, aside from maybe Joburg or Capetown.
I was supposed to have a several hour layover there on Ethiopian Airlines on my way to Cape Town back in March, then COVID canceled everything. Hoping I can make it back someday.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2020, 2:29 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Judging by Gooogle Maps, it would appear that downtown might be in a flight path. The location of the aiport relative to the CBD looks just like the setup we have here in Birmingham.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Oct 5, 2020, 5:19 AM

Quote:
San Antonio has recently been getting developers attention. There are several highrises U/C with more to come.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2020, 1:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
San Antonio has recently been getting developers attention. There are several highrises U/C with more to come.
San Antonio has been a fast growing city/metro for awhile but it’s skyline has been stagnant. I don’t think it will mimic the type of growth Austin has seen because it lacks the dynamic tech economy that Austin has, but there will definitely be more high rises built there and lots of urban infill. For the sake of this thread I don’t see its skyline changing all that much.

The list of smaller/mid-sized American cities that will really have a major skyline enhancement is pretty small. Salt Lake City is one to watch. Nashville but it’s not really considered small/mid-sized anymore. Possibly Raleigh.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2020, 5:29 PM

No mention of SSP's favorite skyline Jacksonville yet?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions